How much of Frost’s system is UCF using this year?

cheekygeek

I tend to forget that UCF had been a national player prior to Frost's arrival. Before that 0-12 season, UCF had 9, 12, and 10 win seasons, including a Fiesta Bowl win over a good Baylor team. They only have 20 seasons on the books, but the University went in heavy on football and has been able to recruit pretty well against the Florida & SEC competition. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This conversation reminds me of the people saying Michigan was bad when they lost to Notre Dame. The truth was both teams were really good. I don't think the eyeball test works well when comparing UCF's talent to Nebraska's because they are playing teams that have far inferior talent to the teams Nebraska is playing.

The Auburn argument doesn't really work for me, either, because beating a good team in 1 game is not the same as playing in a good conference every single week.

I said this when the UCF lovefest was going on here last year. Teams in the SEC and BIG are in physical battles with superior athletes almost every week. It takes a toll. When you have to play one or two tough games during the season it’s a lot easier to beat an Auburn in a one off bowl game that frankly Auburn probably didn’t particularly care about. At that point Auburn had played: 

Clemson

LSU 

Miss St

Georgia(twice!)

Bama

No one can tell me that doesn’t take a toll. 

The one defense I will offer up for UCF is they are in a catch 22 because no one really wants to risk scheduling them as a Non conf game. 

43 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

UCF would beat everyone in the B1G beside Michigan at this point. 

One offs they could. With a B1G schedule I think they’d have lost at least 3 games by now.

Now if they actually joined a Power 5 their recruiting and thus their talent would improve a lot and they’d probably do well. But their talent right now isn’t on par with the top 1/3 of B1G teams imo. They’ve gotten more out of less due to good coaching and don’t play decent opponents every week.

• Plus1 3

You know what, let's go ahead and give Heupel credit where it's due. A new head coach can easily run things off the rails in year one - you all remember Riley and Callahan's first seasons, right?

Just now, Toe said:

You know what, let's go ahead and give Heupel credit where it's due. A new head coach can easily run things off the rails in year one - you all remember Riley and Callahan's first seasons, right?

I agree with you, but there are differences in inheriting teams with coaches who were fired vs. teams that had a coach leave for another job.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

He walked in to a heisman candidate QB it shouldn’t be that hard to win. I wouldn’t hire him at P5 till he develops and recruits his own QB and wins

• Plus1 2