What did we learn: Iowa edition?

Well, it was a great game to end our season. I wish we had won the game because that would have left a much better taste in our mouths but at least we tried and it took every last second for us to lose that game. So, what did I learn moving forward:

(1) we have not had an answer to any of our opposing team running backs all season long. That is 200% on chinander. If he can’t find a way to stop opposing running backs then he needs to find himself another job. Opposing team running backs have killed us in every game and they were the difference between us winning the game.

(2) Martinez needs to run. He is not very effective when he becomes a pocket passer for consecutive plays. He becomes a sitting target. When he runs, he keeps defenses on their toes.

(3) we are going to miss Stanley Morgan and Ozigbo next year.

(4) we would have won the game if spielman played.

(5) our defense fails to come up with crucial stops when the game is on the line. In games where they did that, we won those games. Today, if we stopped that fourth down conversion at the end of the game, we win the game.

(6) we need to recruit some good big defenders. It took four of our guys to stop Iowa running backs.

(7) the future is very bright for the Huskers. Next year, we have an excellent chance to run the table. We should have no problem winning the west division.

(8) Frost needs to make some decisions on the defense and special teams in the off season. We need more dynamic special teams play.

(9) for this first time in over a decade, I feel so hopeful and confident about the future of BIG RED football.

GOOOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEEEEEED! Go Big Red!

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

- Defensive line needs to be squatting and benching all off season.

- Offesnive line has improved a lot and we saw some growth today after having tough series early in the game.

- LB’s will be better next year with Honas opposite of Mo Barry.

- Stoll has improved every week.

- Washington will be an animal next year.

- Frost is the master of the 5 yard cushion the DB’s normally give.  Those quick screens/throws along with those quick hitters to Stan were unstoppable.

- Kade Warner will be a big contributor next year.

• Plus1 5

I learned that this team still has fight in them and it'll pay dividends next year. This game could have quickly turned into a debacle and they kept it close. The culture Frost is instilling is obvious in these fights we just played a bit too flat for too much of the game today to win. 

I have to admit this game deflated my hopes for next year a bit. I still think we'll be improved and have a good season. However this game makes it feel like we have a lot of holes to fill to beat Wisconsin and Iowa or maybe even Purdue and Northwestern next year. 

2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Well, it was a great game to end our season. I wish we had won the game because that would have left a much better taste in our mouths but at least we tried and it took every last second for us to lose that game. So, what did I learn moving forward:

(1) we have not had an answer to any of our opposing team running backs all season long. That is 200% on chinander. If he can’t find a way to stop opposing running backs then he needs to find himself another job. Opposing team running backs have killed us in every game and they were the difference between us winning the game.

(2) Martinez needs to run. He is not very effective when he becomes a pocket passer for consecutive plays. He becomes a sitting target. When he runs, he keeps defenses on their toes.

(3) we are going to miss Stanley Morgan and Ozigbo next year.

(4) we would have won the game if spielman played.

(5) our defense fails to come up with crucial stops when the game is on the line. In games where they did that, we won those games. Today, if we stopped that fourth down conversion at the end of the game, we win the game.

(6) we need to recruit some good big defenders. It took four of our guys to stop Iowa running backs.

(7) the future is very bright for the Huskers. Next year, we have an excellent chance to run the table. We should have no problem winning the west division.

(8) Frost needs to make some decisions on the defense and special teams in the off season. We need more dynamic special teams play.

(9) for this first time in over a decade, I feel so hopeful and confident about the future of BIG RED football.

GOOOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEEEEEED! Go Big Red!

1) we don’t have the size or talent yet to match up with the best o-lines in the big 10. No scheme or d-cord could do any better without exposing glaring holes in other areas.  

2)yes

3) yes

4) yes 

5) D came up big in several crucial situations today, you just don’t notice the stops they did make. Can’t expect them to be 100%. Key is, don’t allow the team to get in a position where every drive in the second half is a crucial situation. 

6) see #1, you’re saying the same thing here in point 6. 

7) yes. 

8) yes

9) yes. 

GBR!

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, BadgersHawkeyes1989 said:

Martinez could be a top QB next year 

He's top six in the conference in most categories, including QB rating. Four of the five guys ahead of him are Seniors.

I'd say he has a great shot at being at or near the top of the conference. Just have to look out for a Sophomore Slump, but I'm not too worried.