What did we learn: Iowa edition?

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Didn't learn anything new today.

But if we want to win the West next year, we need a major improvement in defense and special teams.  On D, we need to not give up 5+ ypc against teams with a pulse.  On ST, we need to stop with the stupid mistakes and penalties.

I agree. We have proven that we can move the ball against top defenses, even when missing key players. ST has improved, but is still average at best. Defense is below average. Too many teams have record days against us. No turnovers, no win. We need better, although you could consider the stop on the fake FG a turnover, and it was a momentum changer.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

We've used a lot of defensive linemen, too. The difference in Michigan St and Iowa vs us is in quality. They both had defensive ends that changed how we played, and I would say with confidence that we lack a single player right now on defense that does that to our opponents. 

I was thinking that Frost needs to recruit a couple of players next year on the D that had the impact of Martinez and Washington.

• Plus1 2

As we scored our last touchdown and two point  conversion, the camera panned over the Iowa crowd. I could actually see the fear on their faces and sense their realization that this was their last gasp against the Huskers for a while. Iowa is what they always are, and always will be, they are mediocre. They have physical lines, and decent players, however, they always seem stuck in the same place, not elite, not a pushover. Now Nebraska will overtake them again and they will fall in our rear view mirror. I hope they relish this win and all get selfies with that stupid trophy, they won’t see it again for a long time.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I was thinking that Frost needs to recruit a couple of players next year on the D that had the impact of Martinez and Washington.

In the presser Frost said, to paraphrase, he never thought he'd look at another (lineman) and say they were bigger than NU.  Said moving forward, they can fix getting the kids bigger and stronger. Said they haven't had a year with Duval.  Frost seemed to relaize, to win the B1G, we have got to be bigger and stronger than we currently are. Said there are kids here who are fighters, but he needs more. IMHO, Frost sees the same things the fans see.  He not only knows what needs to be fixed, but he has the ability to do those things and the support of an administration that supports him. 

He gets it.  We are in good hands moving forward.

• Plus1 4
45 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

We have seen how much the offense misses JD. Next year we lose Morgan, OZ, and some OL. Who will step in at receiver? Are there any red-shirt freshman that are in the class of Morgan or JD? While I like Warner, he will never have the speed we need at receiver. Do we have any talented re-shirt RBs?

You are correct.  Offensively, we are losing some guys for sure.  Stan and Oz will be hard to replace.  Not just their on the field talent, but their leadership on and off as well.  Two class acts for sure.  I think Kade will grow into his roll.  A solid hands type of guy.  Might not be able to take the top off a D (Williams maybe), but will be a sure handed target for the next 3 years.  Stoll seems to be clicking and getting into a groove.  RB, behind Washington we are slim on experience for sure.  

I am hoping another off season, culture change and the staff being able to "build vs teach" their system we will be much improved to start the next season. The freshman/Rshirts and new guys will have a leg up over the guys last season as all the pieces are in place.

45 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

We have seen how much the offense misses JD. Next year we lose Morgan, OZ, and some OL. Who will step in at receiver? Are there any red-shirt freshman that are in the class of Morgan or JD? While I like Warner, he will never have the speed we need at receiver. Do we have any talented re-shirt RBs?

I believe we have some very talented recruit RB's coming our way ,but I'm not sure when they'll be able to play. I guess I'm talking about getting to the next level, continuity will help but we also need playmakers. 

53 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Nope, it’s not. Iowa has continuity. They’re 20 years into Ferentz. They’ve been doing what they do for eons. One year of Frost and we go from losing 40-10 and 56-14 to 31-28. Before that Pelini basically ownerd Iowa. Even if we only got back to normal we would own the series. 

I was being a bit hyperbolic but it seems pretty clear our series with Iowa is going to be very lopsided on our side for as long as Frost is here.

The Riley years don't count. Ferentz is the most boring coach in football history- possibly hyperbole.

• Plus1 1

Understandably, lots of threads and posts popping up about next year's chances.

As far as this game went, what frustrated me was that it was at least the third game where the other team has the ball at the end of regulation and we just need to get a stop to either win (Colorado, Northwestern) or send the game to overtime (this game). Fairly frustrating that our defense let us down that way in that many games to be (potentially) the difference between going either 6-6 or maybe even 7-5. 

More to say about our offense today but pressed for time.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t think they’ll beat us again until we’ve beaten them so many times we take it for granted. 

27 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

Nebraska will overtake them again and they will fall in our rear view mirror. I hope they relish this win and all get selfies with that stupid trophy, they won’t see it again for a long time.

It was a good game. Not sure I saw anything today that would suggest Iowa is destined to become Nebraska’s prison punk starting next year, however. 

• Plus1 1

A few of my takeaways:

1) The offense returns a lot of key pieces next year, namely AM, MO and JD. They also return some good pieces on the OL. They're going to be a more consistent unit and I wouldn't be surprised to see AM turn up on a few pre-season Heisman watch lists.

2) The defense desperately needs some playmakers, particularly in pass rush. It's been evident all year. Hoping Caleb Tannor can be one of those guys with more time in the weight room and with the playbook.

3) Tied in with #2, but the secondary needs to be able to play man-to-man. Their inconsistency forced a lot of zone coverage.

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Understandably, lots of threads and posts popping up about next year's chances.

As far as this game went, what frustrated me was that it was at least the third game where the other team has the ball at the end of regulation and we just need to get a stop to either win (Colorado, Northwestern) or send the game to overtime (this game). Fairly frustrating that our defense let us down that way in that many games to be (potentially) the difference between going either 6-6 or maybe even 7-5. 

More to say about our offense today but pressed for time.

Yes, lining up your players stupidly is 100% coaching. I didn't see a huge talent deficit that allowed slow receivers to catch half their passes with no coverage and run 7-10 yards at will.
Is that what they'll be asked to do next year, lose the game on purpose?

Nebraska's defense was pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't all season long. I think we witnessed several scenarios where a more talented, confident defense would've been put in a different situation to perform well.

That's what happens when, to a man, the talent just isn't there. It plays to the strengths of a rudimentary and average opponent, which is Iowa in a nut shell. We witnessed the same thing against Northwestern and Colorado.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Yes, lining up your players stupidly is 100% coaching. I didn't see a huge talent deficit that allowed slow receivers to catch half their passes with no coverage and run 7-10 yards at will.
Is that what they'll be asked to do next year, lose the game on purpose?

Honestly not sure what you're talking about.

11 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Nebraska's defense was pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't all season long. I think we witnessed several scenarios where a more talented, confident defense would've been put in a different situation to perform well.

That's what happens when, to a man, the talent just isn't there. It plays to the strengths of a rudimentary and average opponent, which is Iowa in a nut shell. We witnessed the same thing against Northwestern and Colorado.

The reality is when we tried a lot of stunts-we didn't get there.  When we sat back-teams generally got what they wanted...

Better athletes cover up schematic issues.  Better schemes can hide lack of athleticism.....But which causes greater issues.  I think this year we saw a perfect storm of talent/scheme, new staff etc....Better athletes makes any coach look better ie see Bo in 2009/2010......Getting the right scheme helps, but in our case, we ran a "less" successful scheme as we didn't have athletes to do it all.  Maybe against Iowa run more nickel.  They didn't have a great running game coming in (although we made Sargent look like an AA), maybe don't have Neal line up at the LOS on short yardage plays, maybe get a heavier package in goal line situations....Those are some schematic issues I saw throughout the season....

No doubt, Frost and Co have learned this year.  They will adapt/modify/strive to perfect their systems to get more wins....