What did we learn: Iowa edition?

49 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Am I imagining things or did we cover the slant better the past 2 weeks? Or do MSU and Iowa just not use it much?

I think you're imagining things. I know Iowa had a couple easy slants, one to Fant. I thought they could have had easy slants or crossing routes for much of the game but they went away from it. Or maybe we did make adjustments.

23 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

we threw the out pattern to the side line WAY too much......predictable s#!t play.

Mario has not taught AM to keep from throwing into coverage

Mario has not taught AM to throw the ball away, instead of taking sacks

slow developing plays killed the offense.....AM has much to learn

The out worked well for us. There were several times it went for 7-8-9-10 yards. It helps to spread the defense out and run against a stout front 7 of Iowa. 

As for AM, who you seem to be caught up on in multiple threads, remember he’s a true freshman quarterback. He’s still got 3 years to learn. Gotta have faith. 

41 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

we threw the out pattern to the side line WAY too much......predictable s#!t play.

He throws into coverage way less than our last 2 QBs. Not sure how you can complain when we just witnessed one of the best seasons by a QB in Husker history statistically as a frosh. He will get better don't worry.

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

You’re right, we should stop running a play that consistently worked throughout the day.

And if only that darn Mario would teach AM not to throw into tight coverage, I’m surprised no one has thought of that yet.

But in all seriousness, he threw 1 bad pass in a game with 30+ pass attempts as a true freshman on the road against a good defense. Lighten up Francis. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

For the first time since 2003 I can say the program is in the right hands heading the right direction. Defense gets a pass from me until year 3. Frost coached defense and played defense in the NFL. Once the offense is humming on cruise control he will help Chin on that side of the ball. I learned I feel good about Nebraksa football again. The next ten years are going to be a hell of a lot more fun then the last 10 years!

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

The sideline throws are okay but we need to go deep off of those same concepts.   Iowa was starting to creep the safety up everytime we motioned our back out for that play.  

The long throw to Morgan against Michigan State to start the comeback was a deep route down the seam set up by all those passes to the sideline.  I am sure Frost sends a guy deep more often, as well, but we just don't notice it if the pass in the flat is wide open.

Against Iowa, Martinez threw the interception when the CB went with Morgan and cut underneath to make the play.  The CB had safety help deep, so he could try for the INT and Martinez threw a bad pass.  On the very next drive after Iowa missed the 37-yard FG, Frost used that exact same play, but Martinez passed it to Stoll underneath.  Stoll did a great job of making yards after catch and NU had a 20 yard gain on the first play of a key drive.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Hunter94 said:

One thing I will never forget Frost saying after one of the early season games where A-Mart threw a bonehead pass, Frost said, "He made a bad decision for sure there, but Adrian is the kind of guy that, now that he's done that, won't ever do it again."  At the time I rolled my eyes a bit after watching our previous 5 QB's continue to make the same bad game decisions over and over again. But sure enough, as the season played out, Adrian DIDN'T make those same bad decisions over and over again. The kid really does learn from his mistakes. As a freshman, there are many mistakes to be made, but I guarantee he will never throw backwards toward the sideline to a receiver again, etc.. The kid is jaw droppingly mature for a senior, honestly, and he's not a senior.

• Fire 2
1 hour ago, Hunter94 said:

You expect Mario to have taught AM to do all these things in this first season.  It's hard to do a lot of "teaching" in the middle of a season, especially when the team didn't have any byes.  Most teams are prepping for the next opponent, rather than reviewing the previous game for mistakes.  Martinez and the coaching staff can review this past season's mistakes over the off-season, spring practice, and into fall camp.  That's when the learning and development takes place.  There won't be a QB competition next season, so the coaching staff can focus on improving Martinez, rather than trying to learn the roster and pick a starter.

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, Street Novelist said:

Our offensive line really has to improve next year. Martinez can't be running for his life or on his a$$ the whole game. With all he did this season, just think how much more he could have done if he just had more time in the pocket.

Our offensive line played pass pro pretty well yesterday other than a few plays.  We need receivers that are getting open. This is a direct result of Spielman not being available and nobody stepping up in his place. 

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

The sideline throws are okay but we need to go deep off of those same concepts.   Iowa was starting to creep the safety up everytime we motioned our back out for that play.  

Iowa also leads the NCAA in INTs and Martinez is a freshman.

Part of having Martinez play smart is having his play calls put him in position to be successful.