What did we learn: Iowa edition?

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Some actual numbers for comparison.  Just a reminder that this is comparing a true freshman who didn't play as a senior to a fourth-year college player who was an NFL draft pick.

Nebraska gave up three more sacks this year than in 2017 but seven more sacks were attributed to poor blocking by the OL.  Removing those, Lee was sacked 12 times in 2017 while Martinez was sacked 8 times this year.

Lee was hit 44 times last year - Martinez was hit 15 times this year

Lee threw the ball away 6 time out of 517 passes last year - Martinez threw the ball away 16 times out of 494 pass plays

Lee scrambled 6 times - Martinez 31 times

So pretty much what I said earlier.  Martinez does have things he can improve upon.  But he was noticeably better than an NFL draft pick from last year so there are a ton of good things to offset a few things that could be better.  And part of Martinez holding onto the ball longer is because he is able to do more with it when he does.  Eight sacks attributed to Martinez compared with 31 times he was able to scramble and make a good play from a bad one.  The yardage gained on those plays wasn't listed but basically a 4:1 ratio seems like a pretty good trade-off to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but Martinez didn't have any pick 6's did he?

• Plus1 2

On 11/23/2018 at 2:49 PM, huskerfan74 said:

Well, it was a great game to end our season. I wish we had won the game because that would have left a much better taste in our mouths but at least we tried and it took every last second for us to lose that game. So, what did I learn moving forward:

(1) we have not had an answer to any of our opposing team running backs all season long. That is 200% on chinander. If he can’t find a way to stop opposing running backs then he needs to find himself another job. Opposing team running backs have killed us in every game and they were the difference between us winning the game.

(2) Martinez needs to run. He is not very effective when he becomes a pocket passer for consecutive plays. He becomes a sitting target. When he runs, he keeps defenses on their toes.

(3) we are going to miss Stanley Morgan and Ozigbo next year.

(4) we would have won the game if spielman played.

(5) our defense fails to come up with crucial stops when the game is on the line. In games where they did that, we won those games. Today, if we stopped that fourth down conversion at the end of the game, we win the game.

(6) we need to recruit some good big defenders. It took four of our guys to stop Iowa running backs.

(7) the future is very bright for the Huskers. Next year, we have an excellent chance to run the table. We should have no problem winning the west division.

(8) Frost needs to make some decisions on the defense and special teams in the off season. We need more dynamic special teams play.

(9) for this first time in over a decade, I feel so hopeful and confident about the future of BIG RED football.

GOOOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEEEEEED! Go Big Red!

Running backs are not a problem, but when there are all thos big guys in the way, have to learn how to push back.

I think in the Big 14 at least against IA Mich, Wisc,  you need to basically always bring 5 to the line, even if one is LB coming up disguised.  I think you need to do some pre snap shifting once in awhile.  And in a throwing down, go to four man line and bring heat off the edge. 

You need to always have outside contain with your ends or as they say now "set the edge".

On 11/24/2018 at 8:50 PM, Hayseed said:

My eyeball test says AM has unbelievable stats if they hadn’t called so many pocket passes and forced him to swim upstream.

It defies logic that you would handicap your own QB like that against a slow team with 6’8 DL.

Seems fishy that we would coach so many odd things that a PeeWee league coach can spot.

Peyton Manning can’t overcome that.

This may be the most uninformed post I've ever read.

• Plus1 4