What did we learn: Iowa edition?

43 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Well, it was a great game to end our season. I wish we had won the game because that would have left a much better taste in our mouths but at least we tried and it took every last second for us to lose that game. So, what did I learn moving forward:

(1) we have not had an answer to any of our opposing team running backs all season long. That is 200% on chinander. If he can’t find a way to stop opposing running backs then he needs to find himself another job. Opposing team running backs have killed us in every game and they were the difference between us winning the game.

(2) Martinez needs to run. He is not very effective when he becomes a pocket passer for consecutive plays. He becomes a sitting target. When he runs, he keeps defenses on their toes.

(3) we are going to miss Stanley Morgan and Ozigbo next year.

(4) we would have won the game if spielman played.

(5) our defense fails to come up with crucial stops when the game is on the line. In games where they did that, we won those games. Today, if we stopped that fourth down conversion at the end of the game, we win the game.

(6) we need to recruit some good big defenders. It took four of our guys to stop Iowa running backs.

(7) the future is very bright for the Huskers. Next year, we have an excellent chance to run the table. We should have no problem winning the west division.

(8) Frost needs to make some decisions on the defense and special teams in the off season. We need more dynamic special teams play.

(9) for this first time in over a decade, I feel so hopeful and confident about the future of BIG RED football.

GOOOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEEEEEED! Go Big Red!

So outside of special teams, defense, losing 2 of our best players, and recruiting so far, you feel the future is bright. 

Horrible season-Great season.  It can be both.....

No quit in this team. I think the culture has flipped.

With JD in today we win.  

Kade is going to be a good one.

Mo-another good one.

Stoll-Same

Frost, although the answer, still has to grow as a HC as well.  Same with Chin as DC.  It's only year 1 in the B1G and only year 3 as a staff.  Just like the kids have grown since game 1, so has the staff.  I expect a lot more off season growth from staff and team.  I do not think we will recognize this team next year.  Not by whole sale change in scheme, but in implementation of scheme.  More precise in it's execution, more flawless, more wrinkles....Positive changes all around.

Even going 4-8 we managed to get the first 1000 yrd rusher since 2014 and Stan got the 1000 as first NU player EVER.

Time to recruit, lift, reset and get ready.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

1 turnover was the difference in the game.  We needed it, Iowa got it.

Winter conditioning needs to start ASAP.  Iowa was obviously more physical.

More depth on the lines is badly needed.  I thought I heard them say Iowa was deep enough they regularly change out all 4 defensive linemen.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Well, it was a great game to end our season. I wish we had won the game because that would have left a much better taste in our mouths but at least we tried and it took every last second for us to lose that game. So, what did I learn moving forward:

(1) we have not had an answer to any of our opposing team running backs all season long. That is 200% on chinander. If he can’t find a way to stop opposing running backs then he needs to find himself another job. Opposing team running backs have killed us in every game and they were the difference between us winning the game.

(2) Martinez needs to run. He is not very effective when he becomes a pocket passer for consecutive plays. He becomes a sitting target. When he runs, he keeps defenses on their toes.

(3) we are going to miss Stanley Morgan and Ozigbo next year.

(4) we would have won the game if spielman played.

(5) our defense fails to come up with crucial stops when the game is on the line. In games where they did that, we won those games. Today, if we stopped that fourth down conversion at the end of the game, we win the game.

(6) we need to recruit some good big defenders. It took four of our guys to stop Iowa running backs.

(7) the future is very bright for the Huskers. Next year, we have an excellent chance to run the table. We should have no problem winning the west division.

(8) Frost needs to make some decisions on the defense and special teams in the off season. We need more dynamic special teams play.

(9) for this first time in over a decade, I feel so hopeful and confident about the future of BIG RED football.

GOOOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEEEEEED! Go Big Red!

1) Mostly personnel. We are still light in the a$$. Chinander has brought blitzes, changed fronts, changed personnel. The only complaint I'd have in this regard is he's stayed 2 high against some of these teams more than he probably should but he wants to play more man when he gets the personnel to allow it and with that I think we see that changed.

2) Martinez is fine as a passer, he's just young and we can struggle getting open. We don't have a legit receiving tight end, nobody really plays our R position the way it's designed. The recieving corps has never really developed, which is why our third and fourth receivers have largely been walk-ons. This one is mostly personnel, and Martinez will correct a lot of his issues in the offseason. If anything, expect him to run less next year as we forced a lot of QB runs this year out of necessity. 

3) Hats off to those guys, but we will recruit those positions very well. Morgan has already said his records will be short lived. He knows what's coming. 

4) Maybe, it was a competitive game. But Washington wouldn't have had nearly the role in the passing game, either. 

5) It's a big problem. Get the personnel sorted and then we will have to see in the future if one or more coaches need adjusted. We haven't had the personnel in years to properly defend this style of offense and that wasn't going to change overnight.

6) ^_^

7) I expect a big improvement, but it won't be easy. Everyone in the West has some promise in the next few years. Wisconsin found out this year that if things don't go right there are now enough speed bumps to upset the cart. 

8) He's already hinted at personnel changes, but don't hold your breath on coaching changes. I'm not sold on the idea they don't come after year 2 or 3, but it's reactionary to do it after year 1. 

9) There was no change in the win column but there were wins in every other facet of this program. The house is built, it just needs to be decorated.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

More depth on the lines is badly needed.  I thought I heard them say Iowa was deep enough they regularly change out all 4 defensive linemen.

We've used a lot of defensive linemen, too. The difference in Michigan St and Iowa vs us is in quality. They both had defensive ends that changed how we played, and I would say with confidence that we lack a single player right now on defense that does that to our opponents. 

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I didn’t learn much. The team didn’t give up, the same as usual. I still think we’ll win a lot of games next season. And I think that’s the last time Iowa will beat us for a long time. I don’t think they’ll beat us again until we’ve beaten them so many times we take it for granted. 

The last sentence here is a very foolish statement.  Iowa is a solid program- something we haven't been for years.  They will compete.  Iowa's offensive and defensive lines are presently so much better than Nebraska.  And Iowa isn't going backward on that front next year.  We are lucky to even have had a shot at that game.

Which leads to the main point -- Martinez and Frost.  Wow.  Martinez had that one mistake, but gave it his all.   Frost totally out-coached Ferentz.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I learned that I'm officially worried about replacing some very good seniors.....and while that is said by every team every year, I'm wondering who will fill those spots without a major dropoff.

We have seen how much the offense misses JD. Next year we lose Morgan, OZ, and some OL. Who will step in at receiver? Are there any red-shirt freshman that are in the class of Morgan or JD? While I like Warner, he will never have the speed we need at receiver. Do we have any talented re-shirt RBs?

26 minutes ago, grapevine7 said:

The last sentence here is a very foolish statement.  Iowa is a solid program- something we haven't been for years.  They will compete.  Iowa's offensive and defensive lines are presently so much better than Nebraska.  And Iowa isn't going backward on that front next year.  We are lucky to even have had a shot at that game.

Nope, it’s not. Iowa has continuity. They’re 20 years into Ferentz. They’ve been doing what they do for eons. One year of Frost and we go from losing 40-10 and 56-14 to 31-28. Before that Pelini basically ownerd Iowa. Even if we only got back to normal we would own the series. 

I was being a bit hyperbolic but it seems pretty clear our series with Iowa is going to be very lopsided on our side for as long as Frost is here.

• Plus1 6