What did we learn: Iowa edition?

On the int,  Stoll was wide open in the flat.  AM chose to go to Morgan who was double covered.  

As far as the sideline throws,  during the game yesterday, we didnt have anyone go deep on them.  They blocked.  This is why Iowa kept creeping the safety up more and more when we motioned the back out. 

most of the time he could use a 3 count and then throw the ball........if you watch the replays, most of his sacks were on 4.

either way, throwing the ball away instead of taking the sack would have helped quite a bit.......standing in the pocket was not the best call, rolling him out would seem to be a better option, didn't see much of that.......on a pressure D more slants and quick throws over the middle seem a better choice?  regardless, getting sacked/hurries repeatedly call for a different plan....and we knew the Iowa defense was going to apply pressure.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Our offensive line played pass pro pretty well yesterday other than a few plays.  We need receivers that are getting open. This is a direct result of Spielman not being available and nobody stepping up in his place. 

They did a nice job.  Martinez had ample time.  

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

On the int,  Stoll was wide open in the flat.  AM chose to go to Morgan who was double covered.  

As far as the sideline throws,  during the game yesterday, we didnt have anyone go deep on them.  They blocked.  This is why Iowa kept creeping the safety up more and more when we motioned the back out. 

Again.  Iowa has an outstanding defense.

Frost's plan of attack with the passing game is typically athletes in space on the edge.

There's always going to be someone open that the quarterback misses.

Both coaches game planned well.  Players make mistakes.

26 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

And the next offensive play after the INT, the same play was called, and AM hit Stoll, and Stoll turned a short pass into a big gain.

I don't think the sideline throws were a problem yesterday.  Washington had a nice catch and run with the help of a great block by Williams.  Then Washington ran the wheel route and went deep for a TD pass.  If Iowa is giving NU good yardage on those passes to the sideline, it's prudent to keep taking them.

• Plus1 1

This team, after the Iowa game, performed at the highest level that this team could ever hoped to attain. Penalties and turnovers were limited, stops were made (in 2nd half), and points were scored.  I'm completely satisfied with their performance on all sides of the ball.  Once we recruit some size and the coaches get familiar with our conference mates, we will definitely be a force to be reckoned with.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

I watched every single play of every single game. I saw reason for optimism. If Iowa had turned it into a blowout yesterday — and it looked very possible — I would have had to seriously reevaluate how much progress we'd made.  But Nebraska looked pretty cool, even cold-blooded in that fourth quarter comeback. That's a big difference & something to build on. We were a 4-8 team worth fearing. 

I think we also have everyone's attention right now. The pundits like what Scott Frost has done and expectations have already been raised. That's good news and bad news for Martinez, who now has a book on him that DCs will scheme against next year. I think he's the real deal, but he can't be expected to compensate for the defense every game. But that's been the story for almost a decade. Recruiting could change that almost instantly. That could be fun to watch, too. 

I still don't think any coach not named Scott Frost could have posted a 4-8 record, run that fancy Pac 12 offense, and maintained this much goodwill from Nebraska fans. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Again.  Iowa has an outstanding defense.

Frost's plan of attack with the passing game is typically athletes in space on the edge.

There's always going to be someone open that the quarterback misses.

Both coaches game planned well.  Players make mistakes.

If you're an Iowa fan, I think you may have wanted to strangle Ferentz a few times in the fourth quarter. 

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I watched every single play of every single game. I saw reason for optimism. If Iowa had turned it into a blowout yesterday — and it looked very possible — I would have had to seriously reevaluate how much progress we'd made.  But Nebraska looked pretty cool, even cold-blooded in that fourth quarter comeback. That's a big difference & something to build on. We were a 4-8 team worth fearing. 

I think we also have everyone's attention right now. The pundits like what Scott Frost has done and expectations have already been raised. That's good news and bad news for Martinez, who now has a book on him that DCs will scheme against next year. I think he's the real deal, but he can't be expected to compensate for the defense every game. But that's been the story for almost a decade. Recruiting could change that almost instantly. That could be fun to watch, too. 

I still don't think any coach not named Scott Frost could have posted a 4-8 record, run that fancy Pac 12 offense, and maintained this much goodwill from Nebraska fans. 

Only Frost.  No way anyone else would have gotten a pass.  I did throw up a little when you called the offense fancy Pac 12........I'm still wanting to see more Husker power merged in.

6 minutes ago, lo country said:

Only Frost.  No way anyone else would have gotten a pass.  I did throw up a little when you called the offense fancy Pac 12........I'm still wanting to see more Husker power merged in.

Frost doesn’t trust the offensive line to compete against top defenses in the Big Ten and the playmakers for this year were more involved in the passing game.  I expect Frost to continue to work on evolving the run game. 

Just now, lo country said:

The power running game could come back. Iowa runs it pretty well. But the horizontal passing game is in fashion right now, with quick outs and bubble screens replacing traditional running plays. It works pretty well, but only if you mix it up. Frost seems able to mix it up. If we want our OC to "stick with what works" then you have to admit our 6.3 yards per play and 450+ per game is working. I think we've improved in the Red Zone as well.

• Plus1 1

I think Michigan State showed Iowa last week that Martinez is not comfortable, and does not make the best decision in the pocket. At this point in his development the best way to limit A-Mart is to maintain contain and keep him there. He is deadly on RPO's. So force him to be a pocket passer and limit his game. Also why so many passes batted down at the line of scrimmage last few games.