When 4-8 isn't the same thing as 4-8

knapplc

6 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Yep, kool-aid drinker ... but that's okay.  :-)

When more Husker fans understand the importance of the trenches and those lines being rebuilt and then the proper depth and kids lined up three deep at each spot ... that's when 9-3 will seem like the floor.  

Rome wasn't built in a day ... I realize you know this.  I know you already agree with what I posted above.  We could certainly do well next year ... but the real necessary growth and stability of the program will not be fully established by next year ... but we will be one year closer to restoring the order.  I do not believe we will with the National Championship next year like some of the fan base and recruits believe ... but 8-4 seems like a good, achievable goal and 9-3 is a possibility.

I think that the O and D lines in Martinez's Junior year should start to show the rebuild and his Senior year we really start to see the pipeline of players are about all in place to be successful every year moving forward.  The thing is ... teams like Iowa, Northwestern and Wisky are not going to unlearn their systems on the O and D lines nor throw away their sound football and fundamentals ... so we have to earn everything ... it will never be a cakewalk to walk over these teams moving forward.  Note, I didn't even mention the West side of the conference.

If this all sounds negative ... so be it.  I think it's realistic and I'm good with building the program like a good business.  We are gonna build a new program from the ground up with Frost leading the way.

I think this is right. We could have a great year next year if everything breaks our way, but With our lack of depth a few injuries could easily derail us. Depth can only happen with time. 

2 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Since when is it acceptable to make excuses for a poor record? 4-8 is 4-8. You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.

I'm at the point where I'll believe it when I see it. I'm tired of moral victories.

2 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

When is the last time we didn't go bowling 2 years in a row?

I've got no time for people who can't discern a better product on the field. If the only thing you cared about this year was the final W-L record, I feel sorry for all the improvements you missed. You go ahead and do whatever you want. Welcome to my ignore list. Buh bye 

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 2

I said it last year before Frost came in and I'll say it again, I want games where I can watch it until the end on my toes because it's so close rather then get blown out constantly. We achieved that this season minus michigan, now that that's out of the way, I want to see us improve in the win category. I'm going to say I'll be content with 7 wins next season but I'm hoping for 9. GBR

• Fire 1

The records are the same, but the product on the field is much improved.  Other than the Michigan game I never felt Huskers were out matched.   Last year I left the Ohio State  and Iowa games well before they were over and I'm usually one who stays till the last second clicks off. Pitiful showings in last year's 4-8. No so this season.

Look forward to 2019. #GBR

I’m am as excited  as anyone about the future. I think the direction this is going with this staff is going to build a program we all can be proud of. 

But.....damn it....I hate losing....especially to Iowa. I’m so sick of text messages every year with them bragging about beating us. I’m really tired of saying....”wait till next year”. 

At at least now I actually believe that. I hope this loss stings so bad it motivates them to work even harder in the off season and in recruiting. 

• Thanks 1

4-8 is never a good season.  It's good to limit the blowouts, but it sucks when NU loses so many "winnable" games.  NU was 1-5 in games decided by 5 points or less.  Most teams will be closer to .500 in those games.  That shows me that NU is "better than they record".  Next year, NU should improve based on that statistic alone (regression towards the mean).  I think NU will also improve to a point where 2 of the 3 (if not all 3) of the non-conference games are easy wins, along with 4 or 5 of the conference games are bigger margin (more than 10).  I would put Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Indiana, and Maryland in those categories.

• Plus1 1

While I hate the poor record and missing a bowl game, I do think it helped show the players that they really need to change the culture, attitude, and work ethic in order to have great success. I'm optimistic that the missed opportunities will make them hungrier and come out on fire next season. GBR

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

While I hate the poor record and missing a bowl game, I do think it helped show the players that they really need to change the culture, attitude, and work ethic in order to have great success. I'm optimistic that the missed opportunities will make them hungrier and come out on fire next season. GBR

You make a great point about that.  There were so many mistakes, bad penalties, and selfish play early in the season which cost NU in those games.  The coaches were able to use those and show the players how much more successful the team can be when they players stop playing the way they played early in the season.

2 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I'm not joking. When I was 3 or 4 years old I was in a foster home where two of their children would terrorize me and one of my brother with dead cats in a barn. That was over half a century ago and I still loathe cats to this day.

It would make more sense for you to loathe children than cats seeing as the cats in this story were dead. 

Either way you should probably stop posting about how you try to murder cats on the road. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
6 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

How many years in a row now have we been told...we're better than our record? 

I would say in 2015 and this year.  In 2016, NU's record was about right in 2017, the record was that of a team who had some talent in some areas (but not deep and throughout the roster), but that talent wasn't developed, pushed to play get better in the S&C area, and the schemes were terrible.