When 4-8 isn't the same thing as 4-8

knapplc

5 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Every damn year its one excuse or another isn't it? (I'm not accusing you of making excuses.) One reason or another why we aren't there...just wait 'til next year! We've been hearing excuses for 20 years now.

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

I think you might want to look down at the Native American proverbs you've chosen for your sig line. It's good advice:

Do not let yesterday use up to much of today.  --Cherokee Proverb

When you arise in the morning give thanks for the morning light, for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food and the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies with yourself.  --Tecumseh, Shawnee

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Every damn year its one excuse or another isn't it? (I'm not accusing you of making excuses.) One reason or another why we aren't there...just wait 'til next year! We've been hearing excuses for 20 years now.

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't have a problem with your thought of "I believe it when I see it."  However, I think the point of this thread is saying that even though the 2017 and 2018 teams had the same record, the feeling about the seasons are different.  I guess it's fair for you to say "the record is the record, I feel the same about things no matter what".  Last years 8 losses included butt whippings by Wisconsin, Ohio State, Minnesota, Penn State, and Iowa.  The coaches and the team gave up the last month of the season.  This season, the 0-6 start certainly sucked, but I think a lot of it was due to the players carrying over a lot of the "loser mentality" into 2018.  I am not saying the new coaches were perfect in the first half of the season, but there was selfish play, dumb mistakes, and poor execution across the board by the players, which were glaring issues under Riley.  The 2nd half of the season, the players started to play as a team and the play improved.  Yes, the schedule softened in the 2nd half of the season, which helped, but even against the tougher teams, NU played well and never gave up.  That didn't happen last year.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
32 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

So I have to give thanks for a losing team? That is the only one of the two that might remotely apply to what you are saying.

I find things to give thanks for every day, just not for a losing team. The first proverb is deeply personal and I'm not going to explain how/why it doesn't apply.

I would say both proverbs apply to the choice of starting your Saturday with a good or bad outlook on the future. 

For the record, I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp myself. But who isn't? 

6 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

So I have to give thanks for a losing team? That is the only one of the two that might remotely apply to what you are saying.

I find things to give thanks for every day, just not for a losing team. The first proverb is deeply personal and I'm not going to explain how/why it doesn't apply.

Can you name anyone who is saying this season was awesome?

• Plus1 1

The difference between this year and last year for me is the feeling we can compete with anyone,  and that the program as a whole is getting better . Last year felt hopeless,  and I thought if Riley stayed the program could actually get even worse . I turned off 2 games last year at halftime for the first time in 30 years of Husker football and I’m confident I won’t have to do that any more. 

I don’t see how anyone who actually watched all our games this year couldn’t see a vast improvement in almost every aspect of the program . The future is definitely bright for the Huskers . GBR

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1