When 4-8 isn't the same thing as 4-8

knapplc

The 2018 schedule featured 7 similar opponents as the 2017 schedule. Here are the differences in results:

2017: at Illinois, W 28-6 

2018: vs. Illinois, W 54-35

Difference: -3 

2017: at Purdue, W 25-24

2018: vs Purdue, L 42-28

Difference: -15

2017: vs. Wisconsin, L 38-17
2018: at Wisconsin, L 41-24
Difference: +4

2017: vs Ohio State, L 56-14
2018: at Ohio State, L 36-31
Difference: +35

2017: vs Northwestern, L 31-24
2018: at Northwestern, L 34-31

2017: at Minnesota, L 54-21
2018: vs Minnesota, W 53-28
Difference: +58

2017: vs Iowa, L 56-14
2018: at Iowa, L 31-28
Difference: +39

From common opponents, Nebraska closed the gap so much on these teams in one season, with Illinois and Purdue probably being noise rather than the signal. I'm eager to see how much this team improves from Year 1 to Year 2. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

The 2018 schedule featured 7 similar opponents as the 2017 schedule. Here are the differences in results:

From common opponents, Nebraska closed the gap so much on these teams in one season, with Illinois and Purdue probably being noise rather than the signal. I'm eager to see how much this team improves from Year 1 to Year 2.

I wanted to see it in this season's order, so just reposting this. The biggest problems with Purdue are Brohm + early season. If we played them this Saturday I think we'd win although it'd probably be pretty close.

• Plus1 1

I’ve felt that this year was special. The way we did a complete 180 in The second half of the season really goes to show you that there is change being made and truthfully I think it’s happening sooner than I’d of thought. To elaborate, I’m of course talking about the culture of this program. Now I’m not 100% drinking the Kool-Aid when I say this but in my days of playing HS football I’ve had a season somewhere to similar and the two seasons after that we went to the playoffs both years. No I’m not saying this is going to happen but I see the progress and I can relate to it from a personal standpoint. Just my two cents but I really do believe this place is headed in a good direction.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, NebraskAddict said:

I’ve felt that this year was special. 

When I went to the Oklahoma State game in 2007, I was adamant that we stay to the very end. Somehow it seemed to be of vital importance to witness what, at the time, seemed to be rock bottom for our program, because I felt we would soon be climbing out of the ashes and set things straight. Little did I know that we were nowhere near rock bottom yet, and it would take another decade of sinking before we got back on the right track. 

That is why this year felt special. We had to sink to stunning, uncharted territory, with the chosen one at the helm of the ship, before coming afloat again. It's hard to imagine feeling so optimistic after a 4-8 year that included such an unbelievable string of losses, yet here we are. Hopefully what we witnessed in September and October was truly the end of a long nightmare that we thought we had already reached the end of a couple of times in the past. This time is different.

• Plus1 2
On 11/23/2018 at 3:05 PM, knapplc said:

Oh, yeah. Forgot about schedules.

It gets a bit easier next year.

How do you feel about a Big Ten road schedule featuring Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois and Maryland?

How do you feel about Ohio State, Northwestern, Wisconsin and our rival Iowa at home?

How do you feel about getting another shot at Colorado, with a new coach? Or Northern Illinois with Scott Frost at the helm?  I'm giddy about both of those games.

2019 could be the Husker Vengeance World Tour.

Oh, I am ready for that right now.

I think we will be the talk of the nation next year - not a playoff team but 'The Team" on the rise.   Kind of feel like the kid who has to go to bed on Christmas eve.  Bummer to have to go to bed, but my o my the anticipation of Christmas morning gifts is almost unbearable.  So we go to bed with a 4-8 record - but what anticipation for what will come next year.  1 more year of S&C, maturity (by both players and staff).  Next year should be a year with a lot of nice presents. 

• Plus1 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2018 at 5:54 PM, Undone said:

We lost five games this season by five points or less. And one of those was led by a walk-on quarterback. We broke a record for most 450+ offensive yard games in a row. 

If Martinez stays healthy next year, we could maybe go 9-3 and win the West, but my gut says that will probably only be possible with insanely good offensive performances in pretty much every game. I don't foresee the defense winning games for us as early as next year. 

Our strength program seems tantamount to success at this point and I know Frost sees this. And we've got a good coach running that department, also.

defense won us Michigan State

1 minute ago, hskrfan4life said:

defense won us Michigan State

I can't disagree with your point. But it's definitely important though to talk about how huge the weather was in that game. I think logic dictates that if it hadn't been so cold and windy both teams would have put up more points that day.

Our defense improved a lot coming into that game when compared to the majority of the games we had played up to that point.

On 12/27/2018 at 11:52 AM, Undone said:

I think logic dictates that if it hadn't been so cold and windy both teams would have put up more points that day.

I think if both playcallers would have adjusted to the weather both teams would have put up more points.  Truly maddening game to watch.

17 hours ago, RedDenver said:

What exactly could they have done? Huskers weren't running the ball well on that MSU defense.

I'm not sure that's exactly true.  Ozigbo averaged 4.1 yards per carry and Washington averaged 6.3.

4.1 rushing may not be great, but it's certainly decent against that defense.

3.9 yards per pass is awful, and we still tried it nearly 40 times.

Can't complain too much since we won, but I don't think it's suddenly controversial to suggest trying to air it out that much in those conditions is kind of silly.