When 4-8 isn't the same thing as 4-8

knapplc

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

On offense:

- The line needs to be retooled. Some returning starters need to be shuffled into new positions, or onto the bench. Newcomers need to step up on day one. 

- Skill positions might be thin next year, at least at the beginning. After Washington, there's nothing at RB. After JD, there's just Warner at WR. Gotta hope that guys like McQuitty and Woodyard take that next step, and that Jones can stay healthy. TEs will be a strength. 

Defense:

- A complete overhaul needs to take place at certain spots. Need to find or create a run stuffing NT that commands double teams. Gotta find some OLBs that can rush the passer. Gotta find another ILB to match Berry. 

Special Teams: 

- Pickering can do all the Kickering for all I care. Lightbourne can probably find a new place to play, as I don't see him taking the job back from Armstrong. 

Didn’t we sign a decent back from NJ?

3 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Didn’t we sign a decent back from NJ?

Rahmir Johnson; has the talent to be special, but he's young. Ronald Thompkins is another recruit who could be really, really good, but he hurt his leg this year and I fully expect him to redshirt next year. 

• Fire 1
Just now, Cdog923 said:

Rahmir Johnson; has the talent to be special, but he's young. Ronald Thompkins is another recruit who could be really, really good, but he hurt his leg this year and I fully expect him to redshirt next year. 

Yeah. I think at least for a while we are going to have to slot some guys in as freshmen. At least until the cupboard is replenished a bit. Frost can use that to his advantage recruiting though. Particularly in this day and age guys want to play from day 1

1 minute ago, olddominionhusker said:

Yeah. I think at least for a while we are going to have to slot some guys in as freshmen. At least until the cupboard is replenished a bit. Frost can use that to his advantage recruiting though. Particularly in this day and age guys want to play from day 1

Apparently either Frost or Held have an in-home with Wandale Robinson next week too, so who the hell knows how that's going to end up. 

We lost five games this season by five points or less. And one of those was led by a walk-on quarterback. We broke a record for most 450+ offensive yard games in a row. 

If Martinez stays healthy next year, we could maybe go 9-3 and win the West, but my gut says that will probably only be possible with insanely good offensive performances in pretty much every game. I don't foresee the defense winning games for us as early as next year. 

Our strength program seems tantamount to success at this point and I know Frost sees this. And we've got a good coach running that department, also.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

We lost five games this season by five points or less. And one of those was led by a walk-on quarterback. We broke a record for most 450+ offensive yard games. 

If Martinez stays healthy next year, we could maybe go 9-3 and win the West, but my gut says that will probably only be possible with insanely good offensive performances in pretty much every game. I don't foresee the defense winning games for us as early as next year. 

Our strength program seems tantamount to success at this point and I know Frost sees this. And we've got a good coach running that department, also.

I might be high on koolaid, but 9-3 seems like the floor, not the ceiling for next year. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

I might be high on koolaid, but 9-3 seems like the floor, not the ceiling for next year. 

You're probably drunk on koolaid. I see a lot of defensive struggles continuing on next season. Less so in the secondary, but definitely still at linebacker and nose tackle. 

The lucky part is, Wisconsin plays Ohio State and Michigan next year, and Iowa plays Michigan & Penn State. Basically guaranteed losses for both Wisconsin & Iowa there. Our schedule is the biggest positive for next season but our defense has to improve.

• Fire 1

How many senior QBs will we not have to face next year? This year we had Blough, Patterson, Bush, Hornibrook, Thorson, ... who else? Some of the teams we played have been playing together for a while.

That's what impressed me about our offensive this year. They might average 650 yards a game once they've played together a while. :)

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I really thought Frost would do better than Riley, but he didn't.

Next year. Maybe.  :)

If you really don't think Frost did much better than Riley, I really have to question your understanding of football and specifically where the Huskers have been for the past several years. Not all 4-8 records are created equal. "but he didn't...." smh.  I have zero respect for that opinion.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Since when is it acceptable to make excuses for a poor record? 4-8 is 4-8. You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig.

I'm at the point where I'll believe it when I see it. I'm tired of moral victories.

If you don't feel better this year than you did last year, there might be no helping you. 

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Yep, kool-aid drinker ... but that's okay.  :-)

When more Husker fans understand the importance of the trenches and those lines being rebuilt and then the proper depth and kids lined up three deep at each spot ... that's when 9-3 will seem like the floor.  

Rome wasn't built in a day ... I realize you know this.  I know you already agree with what I posted above.  We could certainly do well next year ... but the real necessary growth and stability of the program will not be fully established by next year ... but we will be one year closer to restoring the order.  I do not believe we will with the National Championship next year like some of the fan base and recruits believe ... but 8-4 seems like a good, achievable goal and 9-3 is a possibility.

I think that the O and D lines in Martinez's Junior year should start to show the rebuild and his Senior year we really start to see the pipeline of players are about all in place to be successful every year moving forward.  The thing is ... teams like Iowa, Northwestern and Wisky are not going to unlearn their systems on the O and D lines nor throw away their sound football and fundamentals ... so we have to earn everything ... it will never be a cakewalk to walk over these teams moving forward.  Note, I didn't even mention the West side of the conference.

If this all sounds negative ... so be it.  I think it's realistic and I'm good with building the program like a good business.  We are gonna build a new program from the ground up with Frost leading the way.

• Plus1 1