Missed the game.

The Dude

No reason to be ashamed, but Iowa exposed our deficiencies on the defensive line. We could not stop the run in the first half. We were blown off the ball all game long. Part of it could have been the lack of a bi-week and the physical game last week, but we just looked out muscled.

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Based on the scoreboard it looks like the guys have no reason to hang their heads.

Down 28-13, Iowa had first and goal. Instead of giving up, we forced them into a field goal attempt. Ferentz faked it, we stuffed them, then went on a 98-yard scoring drive.

Got the ball back and scored again, with a nifty Martinez conversion for two points.  If you missed it, you'll like what you see.

Yeah, they got the FG to win at the end. They're bigger & stronger overall than we are now. But like Frost said, that's fixable. Off-season weights are going to be big for these guys.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Down 28-13, Iowa had first and goal. Instead of giving up, we forced them into a field goal attempt. Ferentz faked it, we stuffed them, then went on a 98-yard scoring drive.

Let's point out, that was a phenomenally stupid call, even if they executed it well. For the game, we had like 1 negative play or so against them. Even when we tackled them at the LOS they got three yards. It's an understatement to say they ran all over us, consistently. 

• Plus1 1

The Corn will continue to get better. Iowa will remain about the same. This adds up to the Huskers winning more than they will lose against the Hawkeyes. Nebraska has a high ceiling they will hopefully climb. Iowa pretty much has reached it. If the football bounces more their way and with some luck, they may have a season where they go 10 and two — that could had happened this season. But it’s not like it will be any better than this Iowa team. Ferentz’s teams more times than not are good, including the 2015 season, but they have never been great. I feel hopeful Frost will have some great teams. Iowa is pretty much stuck from moving to the next level with Ferentz.  

38 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Got the ball back and scored again, with a nifty Martinez conversion for two points.  If you missed it, you'll like what you see.

Yeah, they got the FG to win at the end. They're bigger & stronger overall than we are now. But like Frost said, that's fixable. Off-season weights are going to be big for these guys.

And here lies the key.  I've said all season, all the conditioning stuff was 100% factual.  Compared to ourselves last year.  It's not like we were going to take guys who haven't really worked out in 3 yrs (going off the Riley no accountability) and have them as strong as guys whop have been in a solid program for 3 years.....Like @knapplcmentioned, we will be bigger and stronger next year.  And while we are at it, how many starters missed significant playing time?  I'm pretty confident a whole lot less than last year.  And no lingering soft tissue issues this season. S&C have us moving in the right direction.  

25 minutes ago, brophog said:

Let's point out, that was a phenomenally stupid call, even if they executed it well. For the game, we had like 1 negative play or so against them. Even when we tackled them at the LOS they got three yards. It's an understatement to say they ran all over us, consistently. 

Frost had one call where the Corn went on 4th down on their own 9-yard line. There would had been a good share of angry Husker fans if the Corn didn’t convert. With that said, it was extremely gutsy and thank goodness we got the first down. I don’t remember the Corn taking that kind of a risk that early in a game. 

55 minutes ago, brophog said:

We got manhandled. There are some roster issues that are contributing to this. Khalil Davis and Deontrae Thomas I think can be good ends...and the two we recruited got injured and then put on the redshirt. But at nose tackle, we have a problem. We have the big man that committed but we need other guys to p0und 7he sqwatz in the weight room and step up. 

We need better coverage from our secondary, too. Way too often opposing quarterbacks are able to just find an open man in two seconds. Coverage has to be better to even allow our guys that are assigned to pressure the quarterback on any given play to make a play.

There are so many problems on defense that it's almost hard to know where to begin.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

We got manhandled. There are some roster issues that are contributing to this. Khalil Davis and Deontrae Thomas I think can be good ends...and the two we recruited got injured and then put on the redshirt. But at nose tackle, we have a problem. We have the big man that committed but we need other guys to p0und 7he sqwatz in the weight room and step up. 

We need better coverage from our secondary, too. Way too often opposing quarterbacks are able to just find an open man in two seconds. Coverage has to be better to even allow our guys that are assigned to pressure the quarterback on any given play to make a play.

There are so many problems on defense that it's almost hard to know where to begin.

You begin by finding a pass rusher that allows you to pressure without bringing secondary blitzes.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

You begin by finding a pass rusher that allows you to pressure without bringing secondary blitzes.

Yep. Pressure helps everything and will cover up a lot of those other areas of weakness. One bad a$$ passrusher would change things more then any other position. I would say NT is second. Secondary isn’t great but I thought they got better and have some talent to improve on

20 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

And in my opinion that player is not currently on the roster. I'm not saying that because I'm pissed about the loss today, I'm saying that by looking at who returns and who we have on the roster. 

I don't think we'll have a defense capable of just shutting teams down consistently until 2020. Obviously, I really badly want to be wrong about that though. My point is, the defensive side of the ball is going to take time, while the offensive side has in all seriousness only taken one year to fix. And all things considered, that mix of things is something to be considered really lucky (given the dumpster fire state of the program at the end of last season).

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Based on the scoreboard it looks like the guys have no reason to hang their heads.

The team improved a lot the 2nd half of the season.  That's something to be proud of.

Next season looks a lot more promising.

Congratulations Stanley.

Go Big Red

Here's the best game summary, IMO:

it took Iowa 60 minutes to put away a fairly mediocre Nebraska team with a true freshman QB on their own field.

They're screwed moving forward.

But, at the same time, they won eight games again... so all's good with their fan base and Kirk Ferentz. :laughpound

• Plus1 3