Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I tend to look at the program on a coach by coach basis.  Yes, I thought Frost and the team would have a better record than they did last year, and they don't get a free pass on all the losses.  From my point of view, the program is being run differently now, thus my source of optimism.  I also had optimism under Callahan and Bo. 

I understand if you want to be cynical and give your roll-eyes emojis to everything, and that's fine.

Personally I don't think of myself as very cynical. I'm actually quite excited about the future and am beyond happy that we finally brought Scott home (about 7 years late imo). But I don't dwell on hypotheticals. I don't really even have an opinion on whether or not we'll be good/better next year  - I didn't much this year either, though I obviously thought we'd do better than we did.

All I'm saying is that across different coaching staffs and administrations our program has been defined by a very consistent and transcendent snakebit-ness that so far has reared it's head in Frost's first season as well. It might continue forever, or maybe we've seen the last of it. But it's not silly for people to look at the last almost two decades and then go, "Yeah I'll wait until I see it"

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Fru said:

I don' t see how having tempered expectations and a "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude is completely unwarranted.

Are there signs of improvement? Absolutely. Are there issues that need to be addressed with special teams, defense, replacing a thousand yard rusher, replacing a thousand yard receiver and replacing several starters on the offensive line? Yes.

I think the W/L column improves in 2019, but unless there are seismic improvements in several areas, I just don't see this team getting to Indy next year. I see 2020 as a more realistic season for a B1G title game appearance. 

Teams make their biggest jump in year 2, we saw that already happening this year after the worst start ever.  Our Freshmen QB played like a Heisman candidate.  Our 1,000 yard rusher was basically an afterthought under the previous regime and he was heavily criticized on here by many smart posters, our 1,000 yard receiver wasn't the only uber talented player to catch balls, and replacing starters on the O Line isn't exactly the worst thing in the world perhaps.

This is a 10 win team in 2019.  There is zero reason to not see this team going up big in year 2 compared to Riley's smoke and mirror Year 2.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Redux said:

Teams make their biggest jump in year 2, we saw that already happening this year after the worst start ever.  Our Freshmen QB played like a Heisman candidate.  Our 1,000 yard rusher was basically an afterthought under the previous regime and he was heavily criticized on here by many smart posters, our 1,000 yard receiver wasn't the only uber talented player to catch balls, and replacing starters on the O Line isn't exactly the worst thing in the world perhaps.

This is a 10 win team in 2019.  There is zero reason to not see this team going up big in year 2 compared to Riley's smoke and mirror Year 2.

I'm trying to temper my expectations, but I just CAN'T do it.  Koolaid is free flowing right now.  I keep fixating on 10 wins, myself.  I think their FLOOR is 8.  I don't know the ceiling yet, but it's going to be high, through these rose-colored glasses of mine. 

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...

I won't begrudge anyone who is pessimistic or unsure of how to process the potential of year two. The climate in college football is always "teams make their biggest jump in year two." I'm confident the team will continue to grow, but, how that translates into wins or losses... I'm still not sure what to think.

AM is a generational QB talent for Nebraska and I don't think that's hyperbole. I'm also feeling pretty good about the offensive line and the offensive weapons available.

The pass rush and defensive front seven is a huge question. They've brought in some pieces with good potential, like Caleb Tannor last year and Ty Robinson this year, but I still think they're a season or two away here.

I think they've got to get bowl eligible - that's my floor and my perception of their ability. Anything above that is gravy.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
31 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I won't begrudge anyone who is pessimistic or unsure of how to process the potential of year two. The climate in college football is always "teams make their biggest jump in year two." I'm confident the team will continue to grow, but, how that translates into wins or losses... I'm still not sure what to think.

AM is a generational QB talent for Nebraska and I don't think that's hyperbole. I'm also feeling pretty good about the offensive line and the offensive weapons available.

The pass rush and defensive front seven is a huge question. They've brought in some pieces with good potential, like Caleb Tannor last year and Ty Robinson this year, but I still think they're a season or two away here.

I think they've got to get bowl eligible - that's my floor and my perception of their ability. Anything above that is gravy.

pretty much spot on.........getting to a bowl is important.  we need to let all these freshman jell next season, we really can't expect many to be impact players, our depth is still an issue, we need to start building (conditioning) experience and depth.........2020 is the year to expect the jump.  be patient everyone.

The video Mav posted is a really good example of why this offense is so hard to stop. I like this video because it’s against good defensive play. They’re not poorly aligned, there isn’t a bust, just an example that you can’t cover against everything in this game.

The two safeties are split, with a LB shading between the trips set to the field side and the formation. Both safeties are about 10 yards deep, giving decent run support. The LB in the box can fill any gap because he has two contain players to the top and bottom. The problem is that trips set is so wide that there is going to be no help over the top and that’s what’s dictating that outside CB the most. A good route, as seen here, and he has practically no chance.

This pass concept is called a ‘snag’ or ‘triangle stretch’. It’s easy to see why if paused near the end of the video as you can clearly see the triangle shape. It’s a primary passing concept in this offense as it stretches a defense both horizontally and vertically. It’s good against man and zone. The out and flat receivers are a high-low read to the outside and that spot route just sits in a hole. 

Frost juices it up with the threat of a QB run. Finally, that’s a ridiculously tough throw, running left then torquing the upper body back the other way. This is why Mario seeks out athletes that can throw on the run, not just anybody can make this throw. This play really highlights the lethality of this passing game married to Martinez’s ability.

• Plus1 2

44 minutes ago, brophog said:

The video Mav posted is a really good example of why this offense is so hard to stop. I like this video because it’s against good defensive play. They’re not poorly aligned, there isn’t a bust, just an example that you can’t cover against everything in this game.

The two safeties are split, with a LB shading between the trips set to the field side and the formation. Both safeties are about 10 yards deep, giving decent run support. The LB in the box can fill any gap because he has two contain players to the top and bottom. The problem is that trips set is so wide that there is going to be no help over the top and that’s what’s dictating that outside CB the most. A good route, as seen here, and he has practically no chance.

This pass concept is called a ‘snag’ or ‘triangle stretch’. It’s easy to see why if paused near the end of the video as you can clearly see the triangle shape. It’s a primary passing concept in this offense as it stretches a defense both horizontally and vertically. It’s good against man and zone. The out and flat receivers are a high-low read to the outside and that spot route just sits in a hole. 

Frost juices it up with the threat of a QB run. Finally, that’s a ridiculously tough throw, running left then torquing the upper body back the other way. This is why Mario seeks out athletes that can throw on the run, not just anybody can make this throw. This play really highlights the lethality of this passing game married to Martinez’s ability.

Looking at the play Mavric posted about, the safety thinks that Martinez is throwing to the TE at the sticks.  He is breaking hard on the TE as Martinez is about to throw.  Adrian does a great job of recognizing which receiver is single covered, and Williams runs a good route to make himself wide open.  You make a good point about the CB having no over the top help, so that also helps Williams turn around the CB in coverage.

On 12/14/2018 at 12:22 PM, Redux said:

10 wins is a bit much. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Redux said:

Not if they stay healthy it's not.  What 3 teams stand in the way of 10 wins?  Trending down Wisconsin?  Urban Meyerless Ohio State in Lincoln?  About to be put back in their place Iowa?

I think Nebraska has the potential to win every game on the schedule, but the likelihood of having the consistency to actually do that is not good. I think there are at least eight teams that have the potential to beat us. Three or four probably will.