Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’ll put this here since he’s joking about husker fan expectations. 

I was actually thinking to myself during the game last night, if this was Nebraska, we would be pissing and moaning so hard about our defensive performance. And that was when Clemson was only up by a couple scores. If Nebraska ever gets good again, I'm gonna try to have perspective.

• Plus1 1

Ohio State had one season under Meyer that was less than 12 wins. They had two seasons under Tressel that weren't top 10 finishes. Under their worst coach ever they were still top 10 and getting an average of 10+ wins through most of the 90s.

2011 was a weird exception due to timing and knowledge of the season being a throwaway. It'd be weird to expect them to be as good as they've been under Meyer, but it'd also be weird to not expect them to be any worse than they've historically been over the last 30 years, which is still a 10+ win, top 10 team.

Maybe Wisconsin will be trending down, but they aren't right now. A single data point isn't a trend.

Purdue is trending up.

Colorado's a completely unpredictable wildcard which works in their favor. 

Northwestern's as consistently good as they've... ever been? And 8 years into our new conference has never not given us fits.

Minnesota is also trending up.

Iowa will be a tough out as they always are.

10-2 is definitely doable/possible. 7-5 is also definitely doable/possible. I think we will be better on paper than everybody on our schedule other than OSU and maybe Wisconsin, but that's pretty much always been the case, yet hasn't translated into the same results. The difference between 10-2 and 7-5 or whatever is being able to get rid of the little and intrinsic things like never buying into your own hype, not coming out flat for no particular reason, not letting mistakes snowball, etc. We saw some hopeful progress in those things last year, which makes it easy to be optimistic about next year taking another step forward, but who knows man? Sports are weird and unpredictable.

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Ohio State had one season under Meyer that was less than 12 wins. They had two seasons under Tressel that weren't top 10 finishes. Under their worst coach ever they were still top 10 and getting an average of 10+ wins through most of the 90s.

2011 was a weird exception due to timing and knowledge of the season being a throwaway. It'd be weird to expect them to be as good as they've been under Meyer, but it'd also be weird to not expect them to be any worse than they've historically been over the last 30 years, which is still a 10+ win, top 10 team.

Maybe Wisconsin will be trending down, but they aren't right now. A single data point isn't a trend.

Purdue is trending up.

Colorado's a completely unpredictable wildcard which works in their favor. 

Northwestern's as consistently good as they've... ever been? And 8 years into our new conference has never not given us fits.

Minnesota is also trending up.

Iowa will be a tough out as they always are.

10-2 is definitely doable/possible. 7-5 is also definitely doable/possible. I think we will be better on paper than everybody on our schedule other than OSU and maybe Wisconsin, but that's pretty much always been the case, yet hasn't translated into the same results. The difference between 10-2 and 7-5 or whatever is being able to get rid of the little and intrinsic things like never buying into your own hype, not coming out flat for no particular reason, not letting mistakes snowball, etc. We saw some hopeful progress in those things last year, which makes it easy to be optimistic about next year taking another step forward, but who knows man? Sports are weird and unpredictable.

I bet most thought after Osborne left we could continue on as well and carry on the last 30-40 years of success. 

Ohio state has to have periods of down in there history, if they always averaged 10 wins they would be #1 in all time wins

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I bet most thought after Osborne left we could continue on as well and carry on the last 30-40 years of success. 

Ohio state has to have periods of down in there history, if they always averaged 10 wins they would be #1 in all time wins

Those that thought that at the time were right. They just weren't right forever. After Osborne, we had 9, 12, 10, and 11 win seasons.

Ohio State, in modern (post-WWII) history has had very few and very short down periods. In 27 years Woody Hayes had 5 national championships and 13 national championships (more or less on par with Osborne), then in Earle Bruce's 9 years they finished in the top 15 8 times with 4 conference championships and only one season under 9 wins, then in John Cooper's 13 years, their worst stretch in history, they still averaged 9 wins a year. Then Tressel, then Meyer. Their two worst stretches ever (modern history I don't look at anything pre-WWII) were 88-91 where they went  4-6-1, 8-4, 7-4-1, 8-4, and then '99-'00 where they went 6-6 and 8-4.

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Those that thought that at the time were right. They just weren't right forever. After Osborne, we had 9, 12, 10, and 11 win seasons.

Ohio State, in modern (post-WWII) history has had very few and very short down periods. In 27 years Woody Hayes had 5 national championships and 13 national championships (more or less on par with Osborne), then in Earle Bruce's 9 years they finished in the top 15 8 times with 4 conference championships and only one season under 9 wins, then in John Cooper's 13 years, their worst stretch in history, they still averaged 9 wins a year. Then Tressel, then Meyer. Their two worst stretches ever (modern history I don't look at anything pre-WWII) were 88-91 where they went  4-6-1, 8-4, 7-4-1, 8-4, and then '99-'00 where they went 6-6 and 8-4.

Your first paragraph I think is very likely for Ohio state. They will stay fairly elite for a few years till all the top 5 recruiting class talent leaves. Then they will probably be a solid 8-11 win program every year. But not dominate the big 10 anymore. 

I dont think the wheels fall off but I do think they come back to reality. Meyer had them a cut above everyone else. I think moving forward they will have equals in the big 10 

^^

so much this! My college coach used to practice us so hard, even in season. His reasoning was that someone at some point was going to go down or someone was going to be needed to step up. Maybe not til week 7-8-9...

but they were ready when it happened. Even if only for 15 plays a game, in crunch time. Not to mention the next year or years they would play. He always talked about “callouses”...if you don’t have callouses and aren’t hardened, how can you be thrust into games?? 

Go get em, Frost!  If you’re lucky in your life from High School thru College you’ll play 72 actual games in 6 years, give or take. Then you’re done. Might as well sell out and give it all, once you’re done, you’re DONE. You can golf or play old mans pickup basketball or tennis, or jog/lift until your 75.  But you’ll never play football again once you’re done. 

Get em ALL involved and grow those callouses while you can. 

• Plus1 1
On 1/8/2019 at 8:17 PM, Landlord said:

Northwestern's as consistently good  lucky as they've... ever been? And 8 years into our new conference has never not given us fits.

Sooner or later that luck wears off. No one wins as many close games as Northwestern does. No one wins as many games being outgained. 

On the season, Northwestern scored 1 point more per game than their opponent and was outgained 0.9 yards per game. They somehow won 9 games. They’ve been pulling this parlor trick for a while, but nothing quite like this year. 

One of these years these close wins will become close losses and everyone will wonder what disaster took place, except it probably won’t be much different except in the loss column. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, brophog said:

Sooner or later that luck wears off. No one wins as many close games as Northwestern does. No one wins as many games being outgained. 

On the season, Northwestern scored 1 point more per game than their opponent and was outgained 0.9 yards per game. They somehow won 9 games. They’ve been pulling this parlor trick for a while, but nothing quite like this year. 

One of these years these close wins will become close losses and everyone will wonder what disaster took place, except it probably won’t be much different except in the loss column. 

This!!

#regressiontothemean 

5 hours ago, brophog said:

Bingo, they are as vulnerable as always.  They are just more disciplined than most teams, that's it.  That stops mattering this year when we hang around 60 on them.  They have benefited from our rocky path into the B1G thus far, that's over with.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Redux said:

Bingo, they are as vulnerable as always.  They are just more disciplined than most teams, that's it.  That stops mattering this year when we hang around 60 on them.  They have benefited from our rocky path into the B1G thus far, that's over with.

You might say intelligent, also.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1