Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Did I ever mention that Maurice Washington reminds me a little of Gale Sayers? Do any of you young punks remember Gale Sayers?

It's the same skill and instinct that makes something out of nothing, but it's also the same running style that makes every play a potential career-ending injury. 

I kinda see where you’re coming from. Mo is nowhere near as fluid, though. I don’t think any back that has ever played is. 

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

I kinda see where you’re coming from. Mo is nowhere near as fluid, though. I don’t think any back that has ever played is. 

I know it makes me sound old, and I know how nostalgia clouds the mind, but I invite anyone to go back and watch YouTube clips of Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus and tell me they weren't playing on another level. Can't really think of a modern equivalent. 

I really hope we see some of that speed on the football field next year. Putting 2 or 3 real burners like him on the field at the same time is lethal to our West buddies whom strongly favor LBs.

Even though it didn’t result in a win, and too many failed drives, the Wisconsin game last year is a blueprint. We saw:

Washington in the passing game. His second best of the year, with the best being against LB heavy Iowa.

Quads and Empty sets. 

Spielman burning them.

Frost knew how to attack them, but too many execution errors. Add the speed of Woodyard and some of these other guys and those same tactics get taken to another level.

• Plus1 1

On 2/7/2019 at 10:19 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Did I ever mention that Maurice Washington reminds me a little of Gale Sayers? Do any of you young punks remember Gale Sayers?

It's the same skill and instinct that makes something out of nothing, but it's also the same running style that makes every play a potential career-ending injury. 

My uncle has a great Gale Sayers story.  My uncle is 75 (about the same age as Sayers) and has drank and smoked his entire adult life, probably a chunk of his childhood too.  He sits at the end of the bar with Canadian Rye in hand and his belly pouring out over his belt.  He will catch the attention of anyone willing to listen....

"Gale Sayers?!  Yeah, I know Gale.  I raced him at a track meet in high school...Had the lead on him too with about half way through!!! "

My uncle was a thrower, he was a big dude.  They didn't have anyone to race in the 440, and my uncle was the only person available.  Sayers stared in lane 1 and my uncle in lane 8;  my uncle brags about being in the lead for a chunk of the race only to hear "woosh, woosh, woosh, ZOOOOM" as Sayers blew by him before they were entering the 2nd turn.  If you've watched a track meet, you'll know that lane 8 starts quite a bit ahead of lane 1 :) 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 12:44 PM, Redux said:

Their 2011 team was loaded and still sucked without Tressel.  Anyone who thinks losing Urban doesn't hurt them is kidding themselves.  They are an 8-9 win team in 2019.

Unless day is also a generation type coach.  It's unlikely but possible.   We got lucky like that once.

• Fire 1