Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

4 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

:facepalm:

Why the hell do we still have this pretentious system where we masquerade future NFL athletes as scholars?  Does the young man need a 2.5 GPA to average 4.3 ypc in the NFL?

Does anyone think he genuinely is coming to Div I in order to obtain a quality degree for the rest of his life?  Hell no, he is coming here to hopefully get to the next level and the U's only desire of him is to make money for the U.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Is that cumulative or semester? Either way, that sucks to be in the position of transferring to division one and having your finals be the determining factor of whether your GPA gets high enough.

Pretty sure it is cumulative.  I think I remember seeing a month or two ago that he needed a couple As and a couple Bs this semester, which would obviously be over 2.5 for the semester.

10 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Why the hell do we still have this pretentious system where we masquerade future NFL athletes as scholars?  Does the young man need a 2.5 GPA to average 4.3 ypc in the NFL?

Does anyone think he genuinely is coming to Div I in order to obtain a quality degree for the rest of his life?  Hell no, he is coming here to hopefully get to the next level and the U's only desire of him is to make money for the U.  

https://web.archive.org/web/20090811090257/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1153364/1/index.htm

By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.

11 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

I have absolutely no desire to diminish the "student" part of "student athlete" more than what it already has been.  These kids are given a chance to actually have something they can make a living at in the future.  The vast majority of them will have zero chance at the NFL and, as has been pointed out, the vast majority of the ones that do will be broke a few years after they had their chance.  

Just because some fans are upset because a player can't get a minimum 2.5 at a JUCO is a ridiculous reason to change the rules.  

• Plus1 4

33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have absolutely no desire to diminish the "student" part of "student athlete" more than what it already has been.  These kids are given a chance to actually have something they can make a living at in the future.  The vast majority of them will have zero chance at the NFL and, as has been pointed out, the vast majority of them will be broke a few years after they had their chance.  

Just because some fans are upset because a player can't get a minimum 2.5 at a JUCO is a ridiculous reason to change the rules.  

Making Dedrick Mills get a 2.5 GPA in order to participate in the nation's only real NFL Farm system makes as much sense as you having to demonstrate how to tie a bowline knot on your sneakers to go to work at the Walmart Distribution center.  Or me having to show that I can wipe my arse with a hula hoop before I can get my drivers license.  It makes no sense.  

What would make sense is to cut the student athlete crap for the real blue chippers and start paying them what they're due, if you care about them so much.  What's worth more:  interest on $200,000 for life or a 2.5 years of course work in PE with a 2.5 GPA.

11 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Making Dedrick Mills get a 2.5 GPA in order to participate in the nation's only real NFL Farm system makes as much sense as you having to demonstrate how to tie a bowline knot on your sneakers to go to work at the Walmart Distribution center.  Or me having to show that I can wipe my arse with a hula hoop before I can get my drivers license.  It makes no sense.  

What would make sense is to cut the student athlete crap for the real blue chippers and start paying them what they're due, if you care about them so much.  What's worth more:  interest on $200,000 for life or a 2.5 years of course work in PE with a 2.5 GPA.

OH...so now they don't even need to be a student.

Hey....we've just done what the AAF and XFL failed to do....create a new pro football league.

No thanks.

• Plus1 6
43 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

You know what would make even more sense, for athletes and students to show enough discipline in order to meet a pretty basic requirement that most student achieve routinely.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Fire 1