Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

Making Dedrick Mills get a 2.5 GPA in order to participate in the nation's only real NFL Farm system makes as much sense as you having to demonstrate how to tie a bowline knot on your sneakers to go to work at the Walmart Distribution center.  Or me having to show that I can wipe my arse with a hula hoop before I can get my drivers license.  It makes no sense.  

What would make sense is to cut the student athlete crap for the real blue chippers and start paying them what they're due, if you care about them so much.  What's worth more:  interest on $200,000 for life or a 2.5 years of course work in PE with a 2.5 GPA.

You just can't pay them, you just can't.  It makes recruiting an absolute mess, you can't pay the Punter at Tulsa the same you pay the QB at USC.  I'd be fine paying them for their likeness in a video game, put money in an account they can access AFTER their collegiate eligibility ends.  Maybe even a bowl payout would be okay.  But pay for play should not happen.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

Making Dedrick Mills get a 2.5 GPA in order to participate in the nation's only real NFL Farm system makes as much sense as you having to demonstrate how to tie a bowline knot on your sneakers to go to work at the Walmart Distribution center.  Or me having to show that I can wipe my arse with a hula hoop before I can get my drivers license.  It makes no sense.  

What would make sense is to cut the student athlete crap for the real blue chippers and start paying them what they're due, if you care about them so much.  What's worth more:  interest on $200,000 for life or a 2.5 years of course work in PE with a 2.5 GPA.

No one is forced to go to college and do their schoolwork. He can drop out and try to find whatever job he is qualified for if he wants. But if he wants to play division 1 college football, he has to meet the minimum qualifications for a division 1 college. Not too hard.

This kid is being given amazing opportunities but is struggling to hold up his end of the deal. Is he being treated unfairly somehow?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

The NCAA can't just make an exception for football (or "blue chippers") any more than it can another university support. This would also likely have Title IX implications.

• Plus1 2

44 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

The flip side- If we beat them at home and have to play them again in the championship, it could be a rough game.  I would take either option!

Definitely would be tough to beat them twice, but with their schedule they can't really afford to lose to us early if they want to make if to Indy. It would be interesting to see if they could keep Michigan out again. 

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

The NCAA can't just make an exception for football (or "blue chippers") any more than it can another university support. This would also likely have Title IX implications.

The real reason NFL players are broke Fox news.com  https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/nfl-players-bankrupt-personal-finance

Players are paid in lump sums, and if NCAA cared then the 2.5 GPA would have to be in finance.

53 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

What a descriptive thread topic this is. You might as well close down all other threads for the year if you are going to put everything for 2019 here.

If this is about your thread getting locked, somebody beat you to the punch and posted the article here first. There is no reason to have the same conversation in two places, particularly when people had started responding to it here. It's not that big of a deal.

28 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

The real reason NFL players are broke Fox news.com  https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/nfl-players-bankrupt-personal-finance

Players are paid in lump sums, and if NCAA cared then the 2.5 GPA would have to be in finance.

This response doesn't address my post or I'm not seeing your point. College players not getting paid enough, or having to meet a 2.5 GPA requirement, is a different discussion than whether or not the NFL's salary format is conducive to financial success.

And it's all wholly irrelevant to the fact that ANY college athlete can, should and will be held to an educational standard, regardless of what money they are or aren't making. It's not even a realistic discussion to have.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have absolutely no desire to diminish the "student" part of "student athlete" more than what it already has been.  These kids are given a chance to actually have something they can make a living at in the future.  The vast majority of them will have zero chance at the NFL and, as has been pointed out, the vast majority of the ones that do will be broke a few years after they had their chance.  

Just because some fans are upset because a player can't get a minimum 2.5 at a JUCO is a ridiculous reason to change the rules.  

And they pick their courses. I don't imagine the low GPA is due to a course load of differential equations, quantum mechanics and thermodynamics.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

If this is about your thread getting locked, somebody beat you to the punch and posted the article here first. There is no reason to have the same conversation in two places, particularly when people had started responding to it here. It's not that big of a deal.

This response doesn't address my post or I'm not seeing your point. College players not getting paid enough, or having to meet a 2.5 GPA requirement, is a different discussion than whether or not the NFL's salary format is conducive to financial success.

And it's all wholly irrelevant to the fact that ANY college athlete can, should and will be held to an educational standard, regardless of what money they are or aren't making. It's not even a realistic discussion to have.

There is a serious and national debate about the compensation of blue chip college athletes.  And it is one that will eventually end up, I believe, in drastic changes to the current system, and rightfully so.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, dvdcrr said:

There is a serious and national debate about the compensation of blue chip college athletes.  And it is one that will eventually end up, I believe, in drastic changes to the current system, and rightfully so.

Fine....but that has nothing to do with if a student athlete should be required to have a certain GPA.

You're trying to argue that the sky isn't blue because the grass is green.

• Plus1 3