Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fine....but that has nothing to do with if a student athlete should be required to have a certain GPA.

The clearly stated original point is that we need to revisit the "student athlete" concept in this time where competitive DIV1 football is clearly a just farm system which depends upon blue chip athletes, where the NCAA and Universities are making absurd amounts of money.  

You're trying to argue that the sky isn't blue because the grass is green

Well then you are arguing that humpty can't be dumpty.

4 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Fine....but that has nothing to do with if a student athlete should be required to have a certain GPA.

The clearly stated original point is that we need to revisit the "student athlete" concept in this time where competitive DIV1 football is clearly a just farm system which depends upon blue chip athletes, where the NCAA and Universities are making absurd amounts of money.  

Well I for one think Frost and his men can pick up the pieces of our broken program and put them back together again.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

You're arguing multiple points at once when only one was being discussed.  But okay, here we go:

-To your "original point" referenced above, you seem to think that we should just throw our hands up and admit that College Football is a feeder system for the NFL to hand pick only the best while the universities make insane money.  I mean, woah dude, way to let the cat out of the bag here!  Everyone know this is the dirty little fact about it.  But college players can't make money for playing, thems the rules and they aren't changing ESPECIALLY the way you are suggesting.  You seem to think we can pay the blue choppers that will end up in the NFL but not the walk on that likely goes back to work at Daddy's used car lot.  That's an insane concept and I can't believe you're even suggesting it if that is indeed what you're trying to suggest.

-I am against paying players anything in regards to playing.  Yes, the University should make it worth their while.  But I would rather see that come in the form of free education, free room and board, free meals etc.  Why? Because 18-20yr olds are irresponsible as hell.  Double that if they are a national recruiting darling from Cali with famous Dad's that don't want to put in the work.  Again, there is a a huge glaring problem paying the blue chip instead of the walk on, the walk on will work harder and may have a better career in college.  Meanwhile blue chip lazily goes through 2.5 years of sub par results and gets drafted in the 5th round already sitting on top of huge college money.  Terrible, just a terrible idea.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
13 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

No, we're just trying to understand your perspective. Your opinion started out narrow in scope and then warped into a conversation on NFL pay structure and the concept of paying student athletes in general. It was muddled and had some logical fallacies.

So, generally speaking, I don't necessarily think you're wrong that the concept of "student athlete" has become imprecise. However, I think your viewpoint here is myopic for a couple of reasons. First, universities (and the NCAA, by extension) are well within their rights to hold ANY enrollee to an academic standard. Student success has a direct impact on university funding and perception. It doesn't matter if you're on the baseball team or normal undergrad.

Second, state and federal laws put limits on what kind of exceptions or changes you could make to favor one type of athlete. Your focus is football, but there are a lot of other sports (male and female) that would have to be taken into consideration. But, ultimately, it doesn't really matter because universities are not going to eliminate academic standards for student athletes. It can't even be part of the conversation.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

If a kid wants to play football in college to get to the NFL, I see zero reason that they can't buckle down and maintain a specific GPA to do so.  I mean if their dream is to play in the NFL and make millions doing so, wouldn't you think that occasionally they could put down the beer bong and pick up a text book to get to that dream?

Yeah we have all read the horror stories of the SEC handlers who tell kids when to eat because they are too stupid to tie their own shoes.  In these instances, yeah I would be fine with them being immediately eligible to go the NFL route.  But here is the problem, what happens when the game is done with them?  With no education and no job, what are they going to do?  Their body is likely shot, their brain was already shot, now what?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Redux said:

-I am against paying players anything in regards to playing.  Yes, the University should make it worth their while.  But I would rather see that come in the form of free education, free room and board, free meals etc.  Why? Because 18-20yr olds are irresponsible as hell.

Just to add onto this, some people also don't realize a lot of the other benefits student athletes get including thousands of dollars in clothes/swag/school supplies, laundry services, and invaluable networking through the university (they'll practically get a job for you once you leave the university). And that doesn't even include all of the other stuff they probably receive that they shouldn't.

I mean, I definitely get it - some college athletes are taken advantage of. In a perfect world, you'd want to be able to compensate them for the value they provide. But, college sports have blossomed into this monstrous money making machine and it butts heads with the 'university' side of it all as well as federal laws like Title IX. I personally don't believe there's an answer to it unless a football developmental league is created that's separate from the universities. But, those continue to try and fail, and there's SO much money tied up in division one college football that it's not likely to change any time soon.

• Plus1 1

yoshi just came back and finished his degree. Said it “broke the cycle” in his family. 

I think being a student is important, moreso than a little bit of money. 

I HOPE to heaven Mills gets his GPA, we need him. NFL caliber? Probly not. So having a good gpa and going to school is important. 

• Plus1 1
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:37 AM, dvdcrr said:

Making Dedrick Mills get a 2.5 GPA in order to participate in the nation's only real NFL Farm system makes as much sense as you having to demonstrate how to tie a bowline knot on your sneakers to go to work at the Walmart Distribution center.  Or me having to show that I can wipe my arse with a hula hoop before I can get my drivers license.  It makes no sense.  

What would make sense is to cut the student athlete crap for the real blue chippers and start paying them what they're due, if you care about them so much.  What's worth more:  interest on $200,000 for life or a 2.5 years of course work in PE with a 2.5 GPA.

I could not disagree with you more. 

Why do they make athletes have a minimum GPA? It shows their character and work ethic. I don't even need to argue any more than that. You fail to see the overall picture. 

What is better at showing your character and work ethic..wiping your a$$ with a hula hoop before you get your drivers license or maintaining a 2.5 GPA in college? 

• Plus1 3