Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

10. MEMORIAL STADIUM (NEBRASKA)

Why it'll be tough: It's hard to imagine Nebraska's level of optimism being higher than it was prior to Scott Frost's first run in Lincoln, but even after a 4-8 season, Huskers fans are incredibly excited about what's to come this fall with a Heisman candidate at quarterback (Adrian Martinez) and College GameDay potentially making its first appearance at Memorial Stadium since 2007. If this team starts the season 4-0 (and they should), you're not going to see a more frightening environment nationally for an opposing team than what Ohio State will be forced to deal with in Week 5. Maybe the football gods will what's right and settle that Big Ten showdown in primetime. Not trying to overvalue a regular season game here, but that would be Nebraska's biggest game in a long time and the Huskers faithful would be losing their minds on gameday.

Game to watch: Ohio State, Sept. 28

• Plus1 1
On 6/3/2019 at 9:00 PM, Moiraine said:

Kinda funny that ours is considered tough when it’s easier than last year’s.

The home field advantage is typically given atleast a touchdown or so for most teams.  At first glance our home field edge ought to be worth as much  10 pts but it has not meant nearly so much the past decade or so.   I tend to think our fans are worth atleast 7, especially when our team is having some success generally.   The past two years - not so much of course. 

The problem with assuming our schedule is going to be so much easier than last year is it fails to account for the upward trends of some of the perceived 'weaker' opponents.   Iowa and Northwestern have been giving us fits for years.  Wisconsin has basically dominated the series with NU since we joined the Big Ten.   Then you throw in the fact that we lost to Purdue badly, lost to Colorado and now go to both their stadiums, those games could easily be toss ups.  Injuries and officials can easily negate several wins - look at the past several years' penalties etc.

I think the Ohio State game will be tougher this year than last as the Buckeyes were reeling under the Urban Meyer wife beating scandal, and we kind of caught them off guard.

There are lots of very winnable games on the schedule but only a couple look to be 'easy' ones.  The 2 off weeks might fall nicely IF we survive the first 7 games without a rash of key injuries.   Then you throw in the typical two or three games a year when the weather is not favorable to our playground - fling it around alot - offense - there are plenty of reasons to argue our schedule is NOT that 'easy' and should be amongst the more difficult ones in the conference.   And, lastly, I believe we will find that the Big Ten as a conference is getting stronger from top to bottom and there are no real gimmes in there.   Home or away - 2019 is a gauntlet NOT a cakewalk. 

The biggest concern I may have with the coming season is the ever building (over) confidence by far too many fans and pundits about the Huskers.   We are still coming off two consecutive 4-8 seasons and were 0-6 last fall for the first time in history for goodness sakes!    Let's all be enthusiastic fans and support our team and coaches and players with all the zeal we can muster BUT try to maintain that support whether we get rolling or not.   The program is still in early years of a mammoth rebuilding project.   We are FAR from reloading!   

18 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The home field advantage is typically given atleast a touchdown or so for most teams.  At first glance our home field edge ought to be worth as much  10 pts but it has not meant nearly so much the past decade or so.   I tend to think our fans are worth atleast 7, especially when our team is having some success generally.   The past two years - not so much of course. 

The problem with assuming our schedule is going to be so much easier than last year is it fails to account for the upward trends of some of the perceived 'weaker' opponents.   Iowa and Northwestern have been giving us fits for years.  Wisconsin has basically dominated the series with NU since we joined the Big Ten.   Then you throw in the fact that we lost to Purdue badly, lost to Colorado and now go to both their stadiums, those games could easily be toss ups.  Injuries and officials can easily negate several wins - look at the past several years' penalties etc.

I think the Ohio State game will be tougher this year than last as the Buckeyes were reeling under the Urban Meyer wife beating scandal, and we kind of caught them off guard.

There are lots of very winnable games on the schedule but only a couple look to be 'easy' ones.  The 2 off weeks might fall nicely IF we survive the first 7 games without a rash of key injuries.   Then you throw in the typical two or three games a year when the weather is not favorable to our playground - fling it around alot - offense - there are plenty of reasons to argue our schedule is NOT that 'easy' and should be amongst the more difficult ones in the conference.   And, lastly, I believe we will find that the Big Ten as a conference is getting stronger from top to bottom and there are no real gimmes in there.   Home or away - 2019 is a gauntlet NOT a cakewalk. 

The biggest concern I may have with the coming season is the ever building (over) confidence by far too many fans and pundits about the Huskers.   We are still coming off two consecutive 4-8 seasons and were 0-6 last fall for the first time in history for goodness sakes!    Let's all be enthusiastic fans and support our team and coaches and players with all the zeal we can muster BUT try to maintain that support whether we get rolling or not.   The program is still in early years of a mammoth rebuilding project.   We are FAR from reloading!   

I believe home field advantage is worth three points vs. a neutral field, which makes a six point swing from season-to-season in conference play.

• Plus1 2