Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

But the new guy isn't really playing the same position though. I'm sure Wandale will know the other reciever spots but he will be playing in the slot as Duck R more often than not.

I don't care where he plays.  He just needs to replace the production.  I'm sure JD will do what JD does.  So If Wandale can come in and score 8 TDs then he is replacing Stanley's prroduction.  Will he average 14 yards a catch?  IDK.  

• Plus1 1

35 minutes ago, Salsa Red said:

Personally I'm a bit worried Alex Davis is getting so much praise, he hasn't shown he can play. I hope I'm wrong and becomes a stud this year.

Why do people say this? Every team in America has somebody they have to replace with a new guy. Alex either shows up and plays well and that helps the defense or he doesn't and that could hinder the defense. If he is good enough to play and is the best available, I will believe he is ready. I believe he is just a tad a bit ahead of Tannor right now. Both of those guys will see significant snaps, but what has Caleb Tannor or any other OLB done that makes you worried for a senior to figure it out and step up? This position is wide open and we need someone to consistently step up and take it. I trust Alex has turned a corner and is getting coached up well enough to be good for us this year. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

46 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Why do people say this? Every team in America has somebody they have to replace with a new guy. Alex either shows up and plays well and that helps the defense or he doesn't and that could hinder the defense. If he is good enough to play and is the best available, I will believe he is ready. I believe he is just a tad a bit ahead of Tannor right now. Both of those guys will see significant snaps, but what has Caleb Tannor or any other OLB done that makes you worried for a senior to figure it out and step up? This position is wide open and we need someone to consistently step up and take it. I trust Alex has turned a corner and is getting coached up well enough to be good for us this year. 

We say these things because it’s the most anticipated time of the season and none of us knows squat.  Until we see an actual game, all we can do now is hope and speculate. 

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

We say these things because it’s the most anticipated time of the season and none of us knows squat.  Until we see an actual game, all we can do now is hope and speculate. 

Alex did some really good things in the spring game, particularly in pass rush. If he kept that momentum going through summer, it makes sense he’s getting so much praise.

The guy I’m still watching for is Nelson. He’s coming along faster than anyone expected. In what little we’ve seen, from spring forward, he seems to find himself near green jerseys a lot. 

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Still not sure what a “death lineup” is. 

It’s borrowing a term used by the Golden State Warriors when they would play Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, and Andre Igoudala together. Those guys weren’t always the starting 5, but they were usually the crunch time lineup. It usually meant “death” for their opponents because of the matchup nightmares the lineup gave.

This lineup proposed in the article for NU is very similar.  Frost probably can’t use it for big stretches of the game, but it creates a lot of matchup problems for opposing defenses because of the versatility of each skill player. 

• Plus1 1

SEPT. 28: OHIO STATE AT NEBRASKA

9214911.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

Nebraska and Ohio State have played five times since 2011, and the Buckeyes have won the last four. But last season's 36-31 finish at Ohio Stadium was a lot closer than many expected a 4-8 Huskers team to be against the eventual Big Ten champion. The Sept. 28 meeting could potentially be the biggest win opportunity so far in the tenure of Nebraska coach Scott Frost, and with apologies to Indiana, the first marquee road test of the year for Ohio State and first-year head coach Ryan Day, who will be under a microscope after the retirement of Urban Meyer. 

• Plus1 1