Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

I'm hoping to see improvement next year and the schedule appears to be more favorable but a lock for a preseason top 25? Not sure how that is realistic, especially losing Divine & Stanley on O and seeing the D struggle like they did most of the year. They need upgrades at more positions than you can count. Not to mention, as improved as they were, they still ended up 4-8. I'd have a hard time even thinking about ranking them top 25 preseason.

1 minute ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I'm hoping to see improvement next year and the schedule appears to be more favorable but a lock for a preseason top 25? Not sure how that is realistic, especially losing Divine & Stanley on O and seeing the D struggle like they did most of the year. They need upgrades at more positions than you can count. Not to mention, as improved as they were, they still ended up 4-8. I'd have a hard time even thinking about ranking them top 25 preseason.

What do you think our record will be next season? If that's what people have in mind when ranking teams, I think we'll be in the others receiving votes at the least. People around the country are confident Frost is going to turn this around. And the rankings don't necessarily have to do with whether we deserve it or not.

12 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I would be more surprised if we weren’t pre-season top 25.

4 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

What redshirts are expected to be starters next year. We lose a lot, and we are already thin. It is tough to win you division when true freshman are starting at multiple positions.

I think there will be some true freshmen who contribute but I don't think we'll just be throwing guys out there because we don't have anyone else.  

RB - JUCO Mills will probably see a lot of action.  Maybe some freshmen to go along with Washington

WR - Hopefully Williams, Woodyard and Hunt will be contributors

TE - Pretty stacked with guys who are currently here

OL - Jaimes, Farniok and Wilson return.  JUCO Blank likely in the mix.  Have to see after that

DL - Still quite a bit of depth for next year

LB - Barry/Honas/Miller in the middle.  Freguson and Tannor on the outside plus Davis and Dixon

CB - Jackson/Bootle/Taylor plus Clark

S - Williams and Domann return plus Dismuke and two redshirts

All that is without any true freshmen.  I think it's pretty likely we'll see some true freshmen at RB and WR.  But at RB it will be because they deserve to be out there.  WR is the biggest question mark, partially because so many play.  Other than WR, I think the true freshmen that play will be because they are earning it.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think there will be some true freshmen who contribute but I don't think we'll just be throwing guys out there because we don't have anyone else.  

RB - JUCO Mills will probably see a lot of action.  Maybe some freshmen to go along with Washington

WR - Hopefully Williams, Woodyard and Hunt will be contributors

TE - Pretty stacked with guys who are currently here

OL - Jaimes, Farniok and Wilson return.  JUCO Blank likely in the mix.  Have to see after that

DL - Still quite a bit of depth for next year

LB - Barry/Honas/Miller in the middle.  Freguson and Tannor on the outside plus Davis and Dixon

CB - Jackson/Bootle/Taylor plus Clark

S - Williams and Domann return plus Dismuke and two redshirts

All that is without any true freshmen.  I think it's pretty likely we'll see some true freshmen at RB and WR.  But at RB it will be because they deserve to be out there.  WR is the biggest question mark, partially because so many play.  Other than WR, I think the true freshmen that play will be because they are earning it.

At WR I hope we are seeing contributions from McQuitty and Miles Jones. Warner has shown some ability as a possession guy too. OL-wise, I hope Raridon steps up at LG or sliding to C.

A guy like Wandale could get meaningful snaps as a true freshman if he has a change of heart though.

Next season will be interesting. How much can we progress? We need the O line to get better despite losing 2 seniors. We need some guys to develop at WR. Defensively we need safties, backers, playmakers off the edge. We have guys that could potentially step up and fill these needs with a great offseason, but holes remain for sure.

Hated to see NU not get over the hump with Iowa - however this will be a blessing for 2019.  The guys were going to work really hard over the next 8 months - now they will have those 3 points to get them to go even harder.  Thanks to the seniors for getting this rolling!!!!

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Next season will be interesting. How much can we progress?

Your average team in year 2 wins 2 more games than the previous year. Our win expectation this year has been about 2 games better than our actual record (poor "luck"). 2+2+4=8.

8 wins is the baseline. I think anything less than that barring catastrophic injuries would be a big concern.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, brophog said:

Your average team in year 2 wins 2 more games than the previous year. Our win expectation this year has been about 2 games better than our actual record (poor "luck"). 2+2+4=8.

8 wins is the baseline. I think anything less than that barring catastrophic injuries would be a big concern.

I think Frost would agree with that.  I am sure Frost thought there were 6 or 7 wins in the schedule this year, and if a few plays go differently in some of the games, NU is at 6 or 7 wins this year.  Frost sees the talent, depth, and player development deficiencies that are on this team.  He is looking at next year to make further improvement, and closing out games with wins instead of losses.