Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow...Fan day is August 1st.  That's just a little over 3 weeks away.  That means fall camp probably starts that weekend.

Yep.  Everyone has to report by August 1st and the first day of practice is August 2nd, iirc.

52 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Anyone else think Severe has been doing a solid job this year? I used to kind of just tune him out, but he's gotten a lot better IMO.

I think Severe has always been very good.  He takes an analytical approach to the team, and doesn't sugarcoat things when it comes to NU.  I think people tend to tune out the media during down years because they tend to think the media is "against" the team.  

Nebraska DBs coach Travis Fisher touts true freshmen, newfound maturity of Husker secondary

Myles Farmer, Quinton Newsome, Noa Pola-Gates and Javin Wright could all play prominent roles in their first years on campus, Fisher said on the Huskers Sports Network Tuesday night. 

"All four of those guys are guys I'm ready to throw in the fire right away," Fisher said on "Sports Nightly." Fisher said all four players were raised well by their parents and are "willing to come in here day after day and work and have the support back home that we see eye-to-eye in case things start to go the other way." 

Farmer — 6-3, 195 pounds — "looks like he's been in college three years already" and is a natural safety, Fisher said. Pola-Gates can play corner, nickel or safety, Fisher said, and is athletic enough to run from hash marks to the sideline on deep throws. Safety is a good fit for now, Fisher said, because Pola-Gates has the speed to run over the top of cornerbacks and thwart deep threats.

"He's a freak," Fisher said of Pola-Gates. "I can put him all over the field." 

• Plus1 1

Michigan named Big Ten football favorite in cleveland.com 2019 preseason poll

Our voters, which included at least one beat writer from all 14 conference teams, as well as several writers that cover the league as a whole, saw the two divisions in very different ways. The East is a clear two-team race, while the West is wide open, with five of the seven teams receiving at least one first-place vote. Nebraska and Iowa were ahead of the pack, however.

BIG TEN WEST

1. Nebraska, 198 points (14 first-place votes)

2. Iowa, 194.5 points (14)

3. Wisconsin, 172.5 points (4)

4. Northwestern, 142.5 points (1)

5. Purdue, 110.5 points

6. Minnesota, 100 points (1)

• Plus1 1