Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

22 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

I feel like you're setting yourself up for disappointment with making 9 your floor. This team is certainly headed in the right direction. I do like that we have all of our tough ones at home but Memorial stadium hasn't exactly been tough to pull a win out of lately. Even teams like Maryland on the road will be tough. Colorado's new coach will have that Nebraska game marked down as a game to mark his season as a success. We just got done with back to back 4-8 seasons. I can see 9 but it's going to take a large amount of work to get there. 

So how many wins do you see ?  I see a min of 7 wins with the outliers being 9/10.  This team was literally 5 plays away from going bowling this year. 

2 minutes ago, Big red surfers said:

So how many wins do you see ?  I see a min of 7 wins with the outliers being 9/10.  This team was literally 5 plays away from going bowling this year. 

6-8 more than likely. I can see 9 but I definitely see us in some close games like this year. While I think we snag a few more than we did this year, I don't think I'm ready to claim we'll win the majority of them. I need to see some more proof that we can actually make a close game go our way before I say we'll be a 9 win team.

26 minutes ago, brophog said:

I think it's the exact opposite. You're seeing a vocal minority posting contrarian viewpoints to go against the overwhelming flow of optimism.

Yeah not seeing it that way at all, the levels of kool aid after we flubbed a potential 9 win season into barely a 5 win season was a little ridiculous.  I'll include myself in that category.  I'm seeing constant pissing and moaning about how freshmen aren't good enough, our depth is bad, our D coordinator can't call a game right etc.

I think we're doing just fine, we will win the division next year.  People need to chill.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Redux said:

Yeah not seeing it that way at all, the levels of kool aid after we flubbed a potential 9 win season into barely a 5 win season was a little ridiculous.  I'll include myself in that category.  I'm seeing constant pissing and moaning about how freshmen aren't good enough, our depth is bad, our D coordinator can't call a game right etc.

I think we're doing just fine, we will win the division next year.  People need to chill.

Agreed. The takes on Martinez are the funniest. We have one of the top 5 QBs in the country not graduating this season. People are crazy when it comes to QBs.

• Plus1 5

4 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Agreed. The takes on Martinez are the funniest. We have one of the top 5 QBs in the country not graduating this season. People are crazy when it comes to QBs.

I didn’t really read any of the Martinez posts as negative. I saw it as people saying that there is room for improvement which is awesome because of how good he already is. When he develops that sixth sense in the pocket, gets better at reading defenses, cuts back on the turnovers he will be even better. But honestly if he doesn’t improve at all he will still be one of the best we’ve had. But he will improve. 

1 hour ago, Big red surfers said:

If there is not 9 wins next year, even with the loss SM and Ozigbo. There might be issues deeper then we know. Schedule is ridiculously easy.  There is not a single game that’s not winnable. 

Ridiculously easy? Howabout we keep it real and call it what it is, simply easier than this year. We exchange Michigan and MSU for Maryland and Indiana. And we get our 3 toughest opponents at home rather than away. Yeah, that’s an easier schedule but not ridiculously so, just like this year was not ridiculously hard. I’ll agree there isn’t a sure loss on that schedule but that doesn’t remotely mean it will be easy. This is still a 4-8 team that will have to replace some key offensive production and get much better on defense and special teams. I like the direction we’re headed and the way we played the 2nd half of this season and can see 8 to 10 wins but until we see how everything plays out, I’m pretty reluctant to place a 9 win floor expectation on this team.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

I didn’t really read any of the Martinez posts as negative. I saw it as people saying that there is room for improvement which is awesome because of how good he already is. When he develops that sixth sense in the pocket, gets better at reading defenses, cuts back on the turnovers he will be even better. But honestly if he doesn’t improve at all he will still be one of the best we’ve had. But he will improve. 

Some of the takes are completely off though, which is why I see them as negative. Especially given who the takes are coming from. It's like they're watching a totally different player than the rest of us.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Some of the takes are completely off though, which is why I see them as negative. Especially given who the takes are coming from. It's like they're watching a totally different player than the rest of us.

I may have not seen them all. Honestly if anyone who watches this team has concerns about our QB play overall then literally nothing will ever be good enough. There is not a QB in the country I would trade for for this team

Frost is still putting the pieces of this puzzle together.  We've got some ballers coming back but yeah losing guys like Devine, Morgan and Gifford to name a few will hurt of course.  Guys will have to step up.  Anxious to see what our O line is going to be like next year.  If we can get Martinez some protection back there he is deadly.  Barry back on D is huge.  I think other guys feed off him.  What freshmen step up next year?  I'm excited.

• Fire 1

I think the national perception of us is only going to go up from here.  The Hawkeye fans around us yesterday had nothing but good things to say about Martinez and crew.  

During the halftime show last night of the Washington/Washington St game,  they showed our highlights and both commentators said that they think we are going to be scary good next year.  

It really is a great feeling to hear stuff like this.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, spurs1990 said:

Hardly anyone could have projected Ozigbo to step up and produce the way he did. I think the offensive staff will find a way to maximize what we have and help someone step up into those roles.

This looks spot on and that is why this staff will continue to be successful - not sure how anybody could be "confused" by the above statement 

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Frost is still putting the pieces of this puzzle together.  We've got some ballers coming back but yeah losing guys like Devine, Morgan and Gifford to name a few will hurt of course.  Guys will have to step up.  Anxious to see what our O line is going to be like next year.  If we can get Martinez some protection back there he is deadly.  Barry back on D is huge.  I think other guys feed off him.  What freshmen step up next year?  I'm excited.

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I think the national perception of us is only going to go up from here.  The Hawkeye fans around us yesterday had nothing but good things to say about Martinez and crew.  

During the halftime show last night of the Washington/Washington St game,  they showed our highlights and both commentators said that they think we are going to be scary good next year.  

It really is a great feeling to hear stuff like this.

One HUGE advantage going into next year that can't be overlooked is it's year 2.  The staff finally has the culture defined and established.  I think whoever hasn't/didn't buy in is gone or will leave.  The staff will not have to spend precious limited practice time to teach and install new schemes.  This spring the staff will have MUCH more opportunity to teach specifics to the positions as opposed to an around the world view.  Throw in more depth, competition etc and we should see a much improved product game 1 of 2019 over the team we saw play against Iowa.  Oh, and another year with Duval.  Frost won't let the team forget Iowa was bigger and stronger.....I'm guessing this is the last time Frost will ever make that comment about any of our opponents in the B1G.

• Plus1 1