Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

Just now, spurs1990 said:

We can hope at least

Yeah, there's pretty much always this talk.

But I do think it's entirely plausible that they spent all last off-season making up ground.  They had to back off work-outs to fit where the players were.  That part isn't speculation.

So hopefully one year in they've at least gotten everyone back to "average" and can move forward from there.

• Plus1 1

The difference is that this will actually happen instead of just talk.  I was and am still a fan of Mark Philipp.  He was hindered on what he wanted to do and it cost us.  

Ellis will be the biggest part of this off season IMO and that is where we will really see the difference. 

Our inability to rush the passer this season was really terrible. It cost us the game against Purdue, Northwestern, and probably Iowa. 

I have a real fear that the roster and some tendencies by the coaching staff will continue the poor pass rushing well on into next season. Don't anybody flame me for this; it's a thought-out prediction and I'm just being honest. I want to be wrong so bad.

If we fixed that, got our offensive linemen a bit stronger so that they don't need to hold because they're out of position, and continue the good special teams play from the second half of the season, we're no doubt worth 8 wins. Whether that wins the West, I'm not sure. Northwestern only plays one tough team for their cross-divisional games, so they're potentially set up to make a good run like they did this season. 

I have said and will continue to say that I think we will only win the West by having a 2017 UCF sort of a year where despite relatively mediocre defensive stats, the offense is so good that it just finds a way to win games. I see putting the whole thing together in 2020 and bludgeoning the f*** out of the nobodies that are Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue...and giving whoever we match up against in Indy a real run and possibly getting into the playoff.

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Our inability to rush the passer this season was really terrible. It cost us the game against Purdue, Northwestern, and probably Iowa. 

I have a real fear that the roster and some tendencies by the coaching staff will continue the poor pass rushing well on into next season. Don't anybody flame me for this; it's a thought-out prediction and I'm just being honest. I want to be wrong so bad.

I think our lack of a pass rush has a lot more to do with a lack of the correct personnel for the job than our lack of being able to coach them up. We don't have a real NT or a pass rusher at DE. If Fair isn't a bust we're on our way to having the lack of NT remedied.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think our lack of a pass rush has a lot more to do with a lack of the correct personnel for the job than our lack of being able to coach them up. We don't have a real NT or a pass rusher at DE. If Fair isn't a bust we're on our way to having the lack of NT remedied.

Definitely agree, but I'm not going to sit here and say that it's fixed in 2019 to give us some magical season.

Just now, Undone said:

Definitely agree, but I'm not going to sit here and say that it's fixed in 2019 to give us some magical season.

Why are you holding "magical season" up as something to argue against? Your comment was "...some tendencies by the coaching staff will continue the poor pass rushing well on into next season." Mine was we lack personnel (in that area).

Who said anything about having a magical season?

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Why are you holding "magical season" up as something to argue against? Your comment was "...some tendencies by the coaching staff will continue the poor pass rushing well on into next season." Mine was we lack personnel (in that area).

Who said anything about having a magical season?

Not you, but several others.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Agreed. It’s about what is inherited and what we need. Chins scheme needs just one horse to get to the passer and we have a lot better of a year. As much as I love Mick, he was not the answer at NT and it was obvious. You get either a decent edge rusher or a solid NT and our defense changes drastically. High hopes for Fair and Daniels need to come to fruition.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Agreed. It’s about what is inherited and what we need. Chins scheme needs just one horse to get to the passer and we have a lot better of a year. As much as I love Mick, he was not the answer at NT and it was obvious. You get either a decent edge rusher or a solid NT and our defense changes drastically. High hopes for Fair and Daniels need to come to fruition.

I think D. Thomas will do very well at end healthy and another off season with Duval. 

• Plus1 1

I think we can get to 8-9 wins next season.  We should have had 6 wins and a bowl game this year but stuff happened.  

The offense is on its way.  We need to get to that Oregon level when Frost was there and the points just keep coming.  Lots of depth still needed before we get there but you can see it's headed in the right direction.  

Defense has lots of holes to fill.  In today's football it favors the offenses.  Look at how the speed of OSU just killed the vaunted Michigan defense.  If OU and WVU could play some defense they would be scary.  Oregon never won it all because they never had the defense to do so.  Alabama, Clemson, and OSU have figured it out.  We need to create a top 20 defense and we will be in the hunt every year.  Those teams all have had dominant DL's over the years making high powered offenses uncomfortable.  We need some wreckers on the DL and watch how good the secondary suddenly becomes.  We need some stud Blackshirts to bring that back.  Mo Barry had it consistently this year.

Recruiting is where it is at.  I have always said we need to finish in the top 15 in recruiting if we want to be contending year in and year out for Big 10 Championships.  Not settle for a top 23 class...top 15.  We should NOT have trouble recruiting:

1)  Probably have the most stable coaching staff in the country.  Frost is here to stay.  Look around the BIG...Franklin, Meyer, Brohm, Harbaugh, Smith...all likely gone before the next class of freshman complete their college careers.

2)  When we recruit top freshman they play big time, hello Adrian Martinez and Maurice Washington.

3)  We can contend to win our division every year.

4)  Unparalleled fan base and support.

5)  Every game on national TV. 

6)  High powered offense to play in.  

7)  Attacking defense to play in (Blackshirts not there yet).

8)  Tremendous tradition.

It's time to get our recruits :3DN: 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
23 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think there will be some true freshmen who contribute but I don't think we'll just be throwing guys out there because we don't have anyone else.  

RB - JUCO Mills will probably see a lot of action.  Maybe some freshmen to go along with Washington

WR - Hopefully Williams, Woodyard and Hunt will be contributors

TE - Pretty stacked with guys who are currently here

OL - Jaimes, Farniok and Wilson return.  JUCO Blank likely in the mix.  Have to see after that

DL - Still quite a bit of depth for next year

LB - Barry/Honas/Miller in the middle.  Freguson and Tannor on the outside plus Davis and Dixon

CB - Jackson/Bootle/Taylor plus Clark

S - Williams and Domann return plus Dismuke and two redshirts

All that is without any true freshmen.  I think it's pretty likely we'll see some true freshmen at RB and WR.  But at RB it will be because they deserve to be out there.  WR is the biggest question mark, partially because so many play.  Other than WR, I think the true freshmen that play will be because they are earning it.

i'm bookmarking this post, but i don't think mills will be a significant contributor next year. maybe the year after. the way this team plays and practices, for some specific positions, you have to be properly conditioned, and have to have been in the system for at least one spring to be effective. i think it's this way for skill positions on offense and defence, in my opinion.

i don't think bootle will start at corner next year. maybe nickel.

i think we are fine at WR. we will see the talent really show up, i think.

OL will be more than fine. we will probably struggle some in the LB department.

5 minutes ago, thatguy said:

i'm bookmarking this post, but i don't think mills will be a significant contributor next year. maybe the year after. the way this team plays and practices, for some specific positions, you have to be properly conditioned, and have to have been in the system for at least one spring to be effective. i think it's this way for skill positions on offense and defence, in my opinion.

i don't think bootle will start at corner next year. maybe nickel.

i think we are fine at WR. we will see the talent really show up, i think.

OL will be more than fine. we will probably struggle some in the LB department.

1. Mills will have a spring in the system more than likely. In fact he'll have the same amount of time Ozigbo had to get used to the system. That early enrollment will be key to watch for with him if he can do it.

2. Why won't Bootle won't start....? He's in line to be one of the defensive leaders after a really strong year and huge leap forward.

• Plus1 1