Mavric

Huskers in 2019....

11 hours ago, boach_clack said:

Ohio State was Ohio State before Urban Meyer and they will be Ohio State after as well. We won 4 games last year, we have no business looking down our noses at anyone. Its an uphill battle for us. Thing is, we have the staff to do it. 

Urban won at a clip never seen before at Ohio St. You think Day is going to come anywhere close to 83-9? 

Ohio St. will be Ohio St, I'm sure.... But they won't be Urban's Ohio St.

5 hours ago, Redux said:

Yeah Ohio State bounced right back from the Tressel departure too.

Urban is one of the two best coaches of the past 15 years, thus the reason that they bounced back so well. Without Urban, they definitely don't accomplish what they accomplished post-Tressel.

7 hours ago, huskered17 said:

If our main playmakers were all coming back for one more year, then yeah maybe ten wins. 7- 9 wins would be a big improvement. 

Trying to say which games are wins, and which ones are loses, didn't play out to well last year, for all us guru's on here.

Maybe we can win 10, but i think that is still a couple years away yet. I'm thinking 8 this year.

Agreed. Eight wins is my prediction if I'm forced to make one right now in January. Iowa, Purdue, and Northwestern have quietly improved by a fairly significant degree on offense. Without Thorson, Northwestern isn't as good but they're still going to be a good team next season. The West is much less powerful than the East but Wisconsin seems to no longer be automatically better than Purdue, Iowa, and Northwestern.

Winning our division is not going to be easy next season, but if we can do it, it'll be a huge milestone for where we're headed.

*Edit* One thing that's interesting to look at though is the schedule for Iowa, Wisconsin, and Northwestern. Iowa plays Michigan & Penn State. Wisconsin plays Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State. I'm going to predict right there that this pretty much takes Wisconsin out as the favorite to win the West.

We could lose to Wisconsin, but as long as we beat Iowa and Northwestern I'm thinking our win total is nine and we win the division. This is just off-season guessing and is primarily based on the relatively tougher cross-divisional schedules that both Iowa and Wisconsin (finally) have this season when compared to ours.

38 minutes ago, Undone said:

Urban is one of the two best coaches of the past 15 years, thus the reason that they bounced back so well. Without Urban, they definitely don't accomplish what they accomplished post-Tressel.

...that was my point 

Their 2011 team was loaded and still sucked without Tressel.  Anyone who thinks losing Urban doesn't hurt them is kidding themselves.  They are an 8-9 win team in 2019.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, Redux said:

Their 2011 team was loaded and still sucked without Tressel.  Anyone who thinks losing Urban doesn't hurt them is kidding themselves.  They are an 8-9 win team in 2019.

That would be awesome to see. As far as how it pertains to us, Harbaugh probably believes he can fill the power vacuum, but I think Frost is the guy who fills it in the medium term. And that's not just a Kool-Aid prediction. 

1 minute ago, Undone said:

That would be awesome to see. As far as how it pertains to us, Harbaugh probably believes he can fill the power vacuum, but I think Frost is the guy who fills it in the medium term. And that's not just a Kool-Aid prediction. 

I would bet that Harbaugh and Frost are going to have a duel in Indy in December to see who fills the void.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I would bet that Harbaugh and Frost are going to have a duel in Indy in December to see who fills the void.

Obviously, there's nothing more that I'd love to see! In 2020 I really believe we're going to be so much better than the next best team in the West that it'll almost be stupid.

I'm interested though in people's takes from my post six replies up on the West battle for next year. I do think that next year Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Nebraska are practically all on the same basic plane. But what I'm looking at most is the fact that Iowa & Wisconsin play two of the four "good" teams from the East, but we only play one.

Big advantage for us in winning our division next year, but I'm not anywhere close to assuming that we're a shoe in as the clear cut favorite.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Obviously, there's nothing more that I'd love to see! In 2020 I really believe we're going to be so much better than the next best team in the West that it'll almost be stupid.

I'm interested though in my takes from my post six replies up on the West battle for next year. I do think that next year Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Nebraska are practically all on the same basic plane. But what I'm looking at most is the fact that Iowa & Wisconsin play two of the four "good" teams from the East, but we only play one.

Big advantage for us in winning our division next year, but I'm not anywhere close to assuming that we're a shoe in as the clear cut favorite.

I agree the competition in the West will be great, and although I think we will be able to beat most of those teams this year, until we actually do it, we shouldn't be considered a shoo-in for anything. Since we aren't proven winners yet, I don't care if we get a pre-season ranking. We haven't earned a damn thing yet.

However, I also tend to think that a lot of folks are predicting 8 wins this year as a hedge due to being shell-shocked from 2018. No one thought we would still be mired at 4-8. However, it is hard to look at the improvement in the second half of the season, have a full off-season of work, and look at the 2019 schedule and not expect much better things. I bet most of us in our hearts really look at the schedule and get big eyes but are afraid of getting burned again. However, I predict 10 hard-fought wins and a return to the CCG. Then 2020 will be even better yet.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I bet most of us in our hearts really look at the schedule and get big eyes but are afraid of getting burned again. However, I predict 10 hard-fought wins and a return to the CCG.

Ha, the bolded is totally spot on for me personally. Describes it perfectly.

So at your prediction of 10-2, who are our two losses? Ohio State and ________?

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

Ha, the bolded is totally spot on for me personally. Describes it perfectly.

So at your prediction of 10-2, who are our two losses? Ohio State and ________?

I don't know. I'm not certain that we lose to Ohio State. If we are hosting them at night and the stadium is rockin, we can get them. Frost will be looking for a signature victory. 

I'm not so bold to predict an undefeated season, but I don't see any obvious losses, just a lot of tough games that can go either way. Going on the road against a better than usual Purdue scares me more than most of the other games.

Same odds as Washington and Florida.  Not far behind Texas. Schedule definitely plays a bit of a role, but obviously a lot of people are buying Nebraska right now.

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:
Same odds as Washington and Florida.  Not far behind Texas. Schedule definitely plays a bit of a role, but obviously a lot of people are buying Nebraska right now.

Time to guzzle down the big red Kool-Aid!

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if we get to the CCG, who would we play?

Probably still OSU. Michigan loses some pieces on defense, and I think at this point they really don't believe they can beat OSU. The Buckeyes lose some too but they're in a better position to reload, so unless Day is a horrible coach they're the easy favorite. Penn State just isn't scary, and Michigan State hasn't had an offense since Le'veon Bell and Kirk Cousins.

On 1/7/2019 at 6:26 AM, B.B. Hemingway said:

Urban won at a clip never seen before at Ohio St. You think Day is going to come anywhere close to 83-9? 

Ohio St. will be Ohio St, I'm sure.... But they won't be Urban's Ohio St.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’ll put this here since he’s joking about husker fan expectations. 

I was actually thinking to myself during the game last night, if this was Nebraska, we would be pissing and moaning so hard about our defensive performance. And that was when Clemson was only up by a couple scores. If Nebraska ever gets good again, I'm gonna try to have perspective.

• Plus1 1

Ohio State had one season under Meyer that was less than 12 wins. They had two seasons under Tressel that weren't top 10 finishes. Under their worst coach ever they were still top 10 and getting an average of 10+ wins through most of the 90s.

2011 was a weird exception due to timing and knowledge of the season being a throwaway. It'd be weird to expect them to be as good as they've been under Meyer, but it'd also be weird to not expect them to be any worse than they've historically been over the last 30 years, which is still a 10+ win, top 10 team.

Maybe Wisconsin will be trending down, but they aren't right now. A single data point isn't a trend.

Purdue is trending up.

Colorado's a completely unpredictable wildcard which works in their favor. 

Northwestern's as consistently good as they've... ever been? And 8 years into our new conference has never not given us fits.

Minnesota is also trending up.

Iowa will be a tough out as they always are.

10-2 is definitely doable/possible. 7-5 is also definitely doable/possible. I think we will be better on paper than everybody on our schedule other than OSU and maybe Wisconsin, but that's pretty much always been the case, yet hasn't translated into the same results. The difference between 10-2 and 7-5 or whatever is being able to get rid of the little and intrinsic things like never buying into your own hype, not coming out flat for no particular reason, not letting mistakes snowball, etc. We saw some hopeful progress in those things last year, which makes it easy to be optimistic about next year taking another step forward, but who knows man? Sports are weird and unpredictable.

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Ohio State had one season under Meyer that was less than 12 wins. They had two seasons under Tressel that weren't top 10 finishes. Under their worst coach ever they were still top 10 and getting an average of 10+ wins through most of the 90s.

2011 was a weird exception due to timing and knowledge of the season being a throwaway. It'd be weird to expect them to be as good as they've been under Meyer, but it'd also be weird to not expect them to be any worse than they've historically been over the last 30 years, which is still a 10+ win, top 10 team.

Maybe Wisconsin will be trending down, but they aren't right now. A single data point isn't a trend.

Purdue is trending up.

Colorado's a completely unpredictable wildcard which works in their favor. 

Northwestern's as consistently good as they've... ever been? And 8 years into our new conference has never not given us fits.

Iowa will be a tough out as they always are.

10-2 is definitely doable/possible. 7-5 is also definitely doable/possible. I think we will be better on paper than everybody on our schedule other than OSU and maybe Wisconsin, but that's pretty much always been the case, yet hasn't translated into the same results. The difference between 10-2 and 7-5 or whatever is being able to get rid of the little and intrinsic things like never buying into your own hype, not coming out flat for no particular reason, not letting mistakes snowball, etc. We saw some hopeful progress in those things last year, which makes it easy to be optimistic about next year taking another step forward, but who knows man? Sports are weird and unpredictable.

I bet most thought after Osborne left we could continue on as well and carry on the last 30-40 years of success. 

Ohio state has to have periods of down in there history, if they always averaged 10 wins they would be #1 in all time wins

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I bet most thought after Osborne left we could continue on as well and carry on the last 30-40 years of success. 

Ohio state has to have periods of down in there history, if they always averaged 10 wins they would be #1 in all time wins

Those that thought that at the time were right. They just weren't right forever. After Osborne, we had 9, 12, 10, and 11 win seasons.

Ohio State, in modern (post-WWII) history has had very few and very short down periods. In 27 years Woody Hayes had 5 national championships and 13 national championships (more or less on par with Osborne), then in Earle Bruce's 9 years they finished in the top 15 8 times with 4 conference championships and only one season under 9 wins, then in John Cooper's 13 years, their worst stretch in history, they still averaged 9 wins a year. Then Tressel, then Meyer. Their two worst stretches ever (modern history I don't look at anything pre-WWII) were 88-91 where they went  4-6-1, 8-4, 7-4-1, 8-4, and then '99-'00 where they went 6-6 and 8-4.

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Those that thought that at the time were right. They just weren't right forever. After Osborne, we had 9, 12, 10, and 11 win seasons.

Ohio State, in modern (post-WWII) history has had very few and very short down periods. In 27 years Woody Hayes had 5 national championships and 13 national championships (more or less on par with Osborne), then in Earle Bruce's 9 years they finished in the top 15 8 times with 4 conference championships and only one season under 9 wins, then in John Cooper's 13 years, their worst stretch in history, they still averaged 9 wins a year. Then Tressel, then Meyer. Their two worst stretches ever (modern history I don't look at anything pre-WWII) were 88-91 where they went  4-6-1, 8-4, 7-4-1, 8-4, and then '99-'00 where they went 6-6 and 8-4.

Your first paragraph I think is very likely for Ohio state. They will stay fairly elite for a few years till all the top 5 recruiting class talent leaves. Then they will probably be a solid 8-11 win program every year. But not dominate the big 10 anymore. 

I dont think the wheels fall off but I do think they come back to reality. Meyer had them a cut above everyone else. I think moving forward they will have equals in the big 10 

The way our current staff has always talked, they're wanting to do this too.  Hopefully that proves correct as they get some more guys who fit what they want to do.

^^

so much this! My college coach used to practice us so hard, even in season. His reasoning was that someone at some point was going to go down or someone was going to be needed to step up. Maybe not til week 7-8-9...

but they were ready when it happened. Even if only for 15 plays a game, in crunch time. Not to mention the next year or years they would play. He always talked about “callouses”...if you don’t have callouses and aren’t hardened, how can you be thrust into games?? 

Go get em, Frost!  If you’re lucky in your life from High School thru College you’ll play 72 actual games in 6 years, give or take. Then you’re done. Might as well sell out and give it all, once you’re done, you’re DONE. You can golf or play old mans pickup basketball or tennis, or jog/lift until your 75.  But you’ll never play football again once you’re done. 

Get em ALL involved and grow those callouses while you can. 

• Plus1 1

On 1/8/2019 at 8:17 PM, Landlord said:

Northwestern's as consistently good  lucky as they've... ever been? And 8 years into our new conference has never not given us fits.

Sooner or later that luck wears off. No one wins as many close games as Northwestern does. No one wins as many games being outgained. 

On the season, Northwestern scored 1 point more per game than their opponent and was outgained 0.9 yards per game. They somehow won 9 games. They’ve been pulling this parlor trick for a while, but nothing quite like this year. 

One of these years these close wins will become close losses and everyone will wonder what disaster took place, except it probably won’t be much different except in the loss column. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brophog said:

Sooner or later that luck wears off. No one wins as many close games as Northwestern does. No one wins as many games being outgained. 

On the season, Northwestern scored 1 point more per game than their opponent and was outgained 0.9 yards per game. They somehow won 9 games. They’ve been pulling this parlor trick for a while, but nothing quite like this year. 

One of these years these close wins will become close losses and everyone will wonder what disaster took place, except it probably won’t be much different except in the loss column. 

This!!

#regressiontothemean 

5 hours ago, brophog said:

Bingo, they are as vulnerable as always.  They are just more disciplined than most teams, that's it.  That stops mattering this year when we hang around 60 on them.  They have benefited from our rocky path into the B1G thus far, that's over with.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Bingo, they are as vulnerable as always.  They are just more disciplined than most teams, that's it.  That stops mattering this year when we hang around 60 on them.  They have benefited from our rocky path into the B1G thus far, that's over with.

You might say intelligent, also.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, huKSer said:

You might say intelligent, also.

That's a stereotype, you should feel bad.

10 hours ago, Redux said:

That's a stereotype, you should feel bad.

The stereotype is very well earned :lol: 

On 1/8/2019 at 8:17 PM, Landlord said:

I'm not buying them at all.  They won't hit 7 wins this season.  Maybe 6, but also maybe not.

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'm not buying them at all.  They won't hit 7 wins this season.  Maybe 6, but also maybe not.

It'll be a defining year for Minnesota. In some ways, their season was even more bi-polar than ours. After changing DC's and making Morgan the QB, they greatly improved the last four games. They're very young, have recruited well, and may have found their QB. I'm not entirely convinced they know yet what they want to do offensively, but it was a much improved unit from his first year. 

It is trending up, but the rest of the division can say that, too. They have a very easy schedule next year with PSU/Rutgers/Maryland as crossovers and another round of Little Debbie's at the start. I actual think, two years in, that's part of Fleck's problem....those cream puffs give them a false gauge of where they are at. They started year 1 with three straight conference losses and year 2 with four straight conference losses.

11 minutes ago, brophog said:

It'll be a defining year for Minnesota. In some ways, their season was even more bi-polar than ours. After changing DC's and making Morgan the QB, they greatly improved the last four games. They're very young, have recruited well, and may have found their QB. I'm not entirely convinced they know yet what they want to do offensively, but it was a much improved unit from his first year. 

It is trending up, but the rest of the division can say that, too. They have a very easy schedule next year with PSU/Rutgers/Maryland as crossovers and another round of Little Debbie's at the start. I actual think, two years in, that's part of Fleck's problem....those cream puffs give them a false gauge of where they are at. They started year 1 with three straight conference losses and year 2 with four straight conference losses.

More of an oatmeal cream pie guy myself...

Cookies Oatmeal With Creme Individually Wrapped

• Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, Redux said:

Yeah not seeing it that way at all, the levels of kool aid after we flubbed a potential 9 win season into barely a 5 win season was a little ridiculous.  I'll include myself in that category.  I'm seeing constant pissing and moaning about how freshmen aren't good enough, our depth is bad, our D coordinator can't call a game right etc.

I think we're doing just fine, we will win the division next year.  People need to chill.

looking at the schedule for next year and basing what those teams did this year, I can see 8+ wins (assuming our key players stay healthy all season).  I don't see any reason to freak out and think we wont be competitive in all games with the chance to win.  if the team plays well, defense shows decent improvement along with O-Line we should be in all the games.  toughest opponents next season (Ohio St, Wisconsin, Iowa)?  while Northwestern has been a pain in the behind, they lost their 6 year starter QB (tongue in cheek) to graduation. 

We will be fine, Frost will have the team well prepared.  WAY better then what we have seen from previous HC..  aka nicest coach in the world.

• Plus1 1

I'll be fairly disappointed with 8 wins, this team can win more if they stay healthy down the stretch.

• Upvote 1