Huskers in 2019....

Mavric

43 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Agreed. It’s about what is inherited and what we need. Chins scheme needs just one horse to get to the passer and we have a lot better of a year. As much as I love Mick, he was not the answer at NT and it was obvious. You get either a decent edge rusher or a solid NT and our defense changes drastically. High hopes for Fair and Daniels need to come to fruition.

Although I’ve lamented the lack of an edge rusher all year, the Iowa game convinced me that NT is the #1 need in this scheme. Without a legit Nose teams won’t have to throw to beat us. They will just keep riding the 5 yard off tackle play, chew clock and keep our offense off the field. 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

1. Mills will have a spring in the system more than likely. In fact he'll have the same amount of time Ozigbo had to get used to the system. That early enrollment will be key to watch for with him if he can do it.

It's always advantageous to get guys in early, but future years won't be as absolutely vital as this last year was. Anytime you're implementing a new system you are having very few people teaching very many. In subsequent years that becomes the very many teaching the relatively few.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, brophog said:

It's always advantageous to get guys in early, but future years won't be as absolutely vital as this last year was. Anytime you're implementing a new system you are having very few people teaching very many. In subsequent years that becomes the very many teaching the relatively few.

You're right but with the limited years of a JuCo I think early enrolling is critical. You bring them in for immediate impact and that's much easier to do if you get them in January versus August.

9 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Although I’ve lamented the lack of an edge rusher all year, the Iowa game convinced me that NT is the #1 need in this scheme. Without a legit Nose teams won’t have to throw to beat us. They will just keep riding the 5 yard off tackle play, chew clock and keep our offense off the field. 

Exactly. The Wisconsin, OSU, NW, Iowa game all have different outcomes with a legit NT stuffing the middle. My two biggest hopes is Tannor takes a step forward and Fair pans out as a legit NT with Daniels taking a step forward as well. 

One thing I think people should realize, I know we will miss Stan, but I am not worried about WR as Adrian will be improved which will lead to the WR as a whole being better. I think we don’t drop off on offense at all.

23 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

1. Mills will have a spring in the system

2. Why won't Bootle won't start....? 

1. .regardless, it will take him a number of games to get rolling.. by then  i fully expect some others to get a firm grip on playing .

2. bootle is not good in run support, and his play is a bit sporadic. the staff love him though, so he will play quite a bit. but he won't be the starter. i fully expect someone younger to take his spot.

8 minutes ago, thatguy said:

1. .regardless, it will take him a number of games to get rolling.. by then  i fully expect some others to get a firm grip on playing .

2. bootle is not good in run support, and his play is a bit sporadic. the staff love him though, so he will play quite a bit. but he won't be the starter. i fully expect someone younger to take his spot.

You realize Bootle was one of the top CBs in the B1G this year?

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, thatguy said:

I know you're getting beaten up about the Bootle nonsense but I'd like to go back to number 1. If other guys will firmly have a grip on the reps by then they will be younger. Why bring in a JuCo guy then if he won't play?

6 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

I know you're getting beaten up about the Bootle nonsense but I'd like to go back to number 1. If other guys will firmly have a grip on the reps by then they will be younger. Why bring in a JuCo guy then if he won't play?

ha.. your post isn't too far off from beating me up though.

to answer your question, its because they do need him and will need him. we don't have a back like him on the roster anymore. but, at kickoff for game 1, other backs will be better prepared than he will be at that point.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Bootle was the highest graded corner on our team and led the entire team in PBU's (11th in the nation in this statistic).  I'm thinking you're not only wrong...I think you're REALLY wrong.

14 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

You realize Bootle was one of the top CBs in the B1G this year?

his stats are very good. and he played at an all-B1G caliber in a number of games this year. but that doesn't change anything i said. we can revisit this topic in about 9 months.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, thatguy said:

i'm bookmarking this post, but i don't think mills will be a significant contributor next year. maybe the year after. the way this team plays and practices, for some specific positions, you have to be properly conditioned, and have to have been in the system for at least one spring to be effective. i think it's this way for skill positions on offense and defence, in my opinion.

i don't think bootle will start at corner next year. maybe nickel.

i think we are fine at WR. we will see the talent really show up, i think.

OL will be more than fine. we will probably struggle some in the LB department.

Washington showed up right as fall camp started and definitely made a difference.  Had he not been dinged up most of the year he would have put up some pretty nice numbers.  Running back is probably the easiest position in football to be able to contribute early.

As others have said, you're completely wrong about Bootle.

I think we'll be OK at WR.  But I would have liked the JUCOs we had this year to show more than they did.  I don't think we're un-talented but definitely unproved (after JD)

• Plus1 2

I think we have some talent at WR and one of them will separate from the pack as a solid number 2 to JD. I like seeing them target the TE and use possession guys like Warner too . Plenty of weapons  for Martinez to throw to . 

I don’t see Mccaffery beating out AM for a QB spot and if he doesn’t I think we need him on the field, possibly at reciever .  I think Frost will want him on the field making plays whatever way he can . 

Not understanding the 6-7 win predictions. This is clearly a different team from the first 6 games and they are only going to get better.  Add that to a night and day different schedule...

The only way i see 6 wins is having horrible luck(losing key pieces for the year...not even gonna say names)

https://hailvarsity.com/nebraska-football/schedule/2019

Let's just say that iowa, wisconsin, Ohio State and northwestern(all at home) are automatic losses(I'm conceding a ton here)  where are the other losses?  Who is coaching Maryland, Purdue and Colorado?  Ill and Minnesota are the other away games.....can you honestly see use losing either of those?  I'm not saying it's impossible.....that's why they play the games.  But its an absolute worst case scenario.

Barring horrible luck i think they split the top 4 games and go 7-1 in the others.  9-3.  

11 hours ago, thatguy said:

i'm bookmarking this post, but i don't think mills will be a significant contributor next year. maybe the year after. the way this team plays and practices, for some specific positions, you have to be properly conditioned, and have to have been in the system for at least one spring to be effective. i think it's this way for skill positions on offense and defence, in my opinion.

i don't think bootle will start at corner next year. maybe nickel.

i think we are fine at WR. we will see the talent really show up, i think.

OL will be more than fine. we will probably struggle some in the LB department.

Mo Washington didn't get here until August. 

EDIT: Damn, Mav beat me to it. 

• Plus1 1