Mavric

Huskers in 2019....

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

IMO the new uniform badge celebrating 150 years makes it all seem... too busy.

Matt Farniok looks like he needs an exorcism!  :rollin

If the adidas logo was moved back to the center, it wouldn’t look quite so bad. Still, four patches on one jersey is ridiculous. If they’re dead set on the 150 years patch, use it in place of the winning tradition patch.

Apparently there was a 100 years patch in 1989. When the 101st year came around, someone thought “well, I guess we just have to have a patch!” Like they hadn’t seen any jerseys erstwhile and thought it was just a thing Nebraska jerseys have. A winning tradition has been there since.

In my opinion, it’s stupid to have a patch that isn’t commemorating a specific event/anniversary. Instead of saying “oh, we’re good at football, y’all!”, it’d be a lot more effective to just win instead.

• Plus1 4

@suh_fan93 Interesting that they differ so much on Iowa and Purdue. One has Iowa #2 and Purdue #6 in the West, and the other has them the other way around.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Toe said:

@suh_fan93 Interesting that they differ so much on Iowa and Purdue. One has Iowa #2 and Purdue #6 in the West, and the other has them the other way around.

Yeah you have to take stuff like this with a grain of salt.  Cool to see that at least people are putting their faith in the direction of the program under Frost more than anything.

The Huskers in 2019 need to catch some breaks and have a few things go their way. There will be a vast improvement with this team talent wise and the familiarity of the scheme will help. If we get a couple of players to develop well that will really help us in 2019.

Offense

QB- Adrian will be great this year and hopefully, we see some of the backups in a couple of game this year. The depth is solid at this position. 

-RB room is figured out with Washington, Johnson, and Mills. Might see some of Wandale and other back here as well. 

-TE-more people step up and get some yards, especially in the red zone

-WR- replacing Stanley won't be easy. However, we have many capable players and someone will be making plays here with JD.

Oline- The center and guard spots need to improve. Adrian cannot be taking 5 high snaps a game from the center position. Hixon looks good but how well will he do against B1G foes? 

At the same time, this offense will look scary. Wandale motions into the backfield while Mo goes to the slot. We will be running circles around some defenses if we can get it figured out. 

Overall, we need to be better at being consistent on Offense. No spurts of 10 or so minutes without scoring. Also, it's great to get 500 or so yards of offense, but we need to turn those into touchdowns. 

Defense

DL- They have to be elite this year. We need to get pressure and be much better at stopping the run. The talent and depth are there this year, so no excuses with this group.

ILB- Mo Barry will be on another level and can Collin Miller step up and Honas stay healthy next to him? How good will Hannah be when he steps on campus?

OLB- Tannor and Davis need to step up. Ferguson will be solid if he stays healthy and Garrett Nelson will play this year and can give us some depth. This group must improve!

CB- This group needs to be elite for this season. Between Bootle, Jackson, Taylor and Pola Gates, they should be really good. They should be ready for the challenge.

S- Some question marks with this group but some solid pieces. Williams and Dismuke are solid. How will Eric Lee adjust to adding depth to this room? Will CJ Smith be healthy? JJ Domann will also greatly help this group out so we look good but not great. However, if everything goes our way this group will be very good. 

Overall, turnovers are key for this group- force two or more a game and we will be really good. Now that guys know where they need to be, we should have the confidence to make plays and be hungry to force turnovers. Improvement of the pass rush and stopping the run this year will get the defense off the field. Limiting big plays is another thing that will improve with familiarity and it being year 2. 

Special Teams

Punter- we have a competition with the MSU punter and Armstrong

Kicker- Barrett should continue to improve his game and gain confidence down the stretch. 

I also predict we take a kickoff and a punt return to the house. Something we haven't really seen since DPE freshman year. 

If we get an improvement with this unit that can help us win games. Look what good punting did for us the last seven games when Armstrong was inserted. Good special teams play can be the difference in close games. 

2019 will be the first year we start and finish the season well. This is something we haven't seen in a long time. It might be too soon to make it to Indy but anything is possible

My prediction: Huskers will go 9-3.

• Plus1 3

I don't think we've quite got the horses to make it to Indy this year unless at least three other teams in the West are worse than expected, but I think we'll win a good amount of games and probably end the season ranked top 20.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Landlord said:

I don't think we've quite got the horses to make it to Indy this year unless at least three other teams in the West are worse than expected, but I think we'll win a good amount of games and probably end the season ranked top 20.

It's how Northwestern got to Indy, and I expect us to be better than that team was by quite a bit.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Landlord said:

33 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's how Northwestern got to Indy, and I expect us to be better than that team was by quite a bit.

Redux- I'm of similar thought. The only team in the West that I'm not confident we will beat is Iowa. I think the West will be decided on 11/29 in Lincoln. 

No question the west is wide open this fall, but I just can't put Nebraska as the favorite in the west.  Would I love to have Nebraska win the division?  Hell yeah, but this team as 8 combined wins the last 2 years.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-with-mills-likely-in-fold-picking-nebraska/article_3a442ac0-d3fd-593c-a86e-5a474f443c65.html

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, garn said:

Would I love to have Nebraska win the division?  Hell yeah, but this team as 8 combined wins the last 2 years.

Which is why it will be so sweet when we win 10 games en route to a division title. Nebraska's return to relevance this year will be a compelling and attention-grabbing story across the country.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

that;s a lot of Koolaid to drink!

Look at our schedule again.

Then watch the last 6 games of last season.

IMO no koolaid is required to predict 10 wins.

• Plus1 5
  • Upvote 1

Predicting 8-10 wins is basically predicting that we don't have multiple major injuries......like usual.

I remember so much optimism on Huskerboard and from the general fanbase at the beginning of each year during the Callahan, Pelini, and Riley years, even when we should have known better. Now we have Frost, a favorable schedule, and nearly everything on the upswing, yet many are pushing away the kool-aid, tempering their expectations, and hedging their predictions.

I get it. Years of mediocrity and failed expectations have made us cynical. I felt that way in Pelini's last couple of years and didn't think that Nebraska could ever possibly be back to where we once were. This isn't a finished product, there are no guarantees, and if Scott Frost can't bring us back, maybe no one can. But if something amazing is going to happen with the future of this program, we are going to start seeing it emerge this year.

The time for optimism is now.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, garn said:

Hell yeah, but this team as 8 combined wins the last 2 years.

I don’t even know why you would bring up Riley’s last year. Different coach, different roster, and way different culture.

• Plus1 4

58 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I get it. Years of mediocrity and failed expectations have made us cynical.

What's the difference between being cynical and being realistic but still coming to a conclusion that we won't be that great this year? 

One thing I've seen over the years is that Nebraska fans, and really probably all fans of teams in general, prognosticate the future of their team based only on their team and don't really spend much time looking at the teams on the other side of the schedule. Northwestern, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota and Purdue all have just as realistic a chance to be better than they were last year. Colorado's a wild card as teams with new coaches always are. OSU and Iowa are a little bit of a mystery but neither will be easy or guaranteed by any stretch. 

I can definitely see us at 10 wins. I can also easily see us at 6 or 7, but still being within a degree or two as good as the hypothetical ten win team. Sometimes balls don't bounce your way. Sometimes someone else gets lucky with a fluke. Sometimes things don't pan out the way you thought on paper. Sometimes the results from a year ago aren't a good predictor for what will happen this year. There's an infinite amount of variables that go into sporting events and that's why we love them. Yet some of us like to think we can understand and make sense out of most of them :Lol: 

• Plus1 4

People that were disappointed in the Riley hire had to force themselves into being optimistic. I am very much a part of that category.  Now that we got a coach we knew of that has a proven track record and a turnaround is obviously coming, it's more natural to force oneself to be more pessimistic.  Nature of fandom.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

People that were disappointed in the Riley hire had to force themselves into being optimistic. I am very much a part of that category.  Now that we got a coach we knew of that has a proven track record and a turnaround is obviously coming, it's more natural to force oneself to be more pessimistic.  Nature of fandom.

Maybe for some, but I know I forced myself into optimism with Riley also, and I tend to always be optimistic.   I am extra optimistic this year because there are actual signs of progress now.

I am holding myself back from 11-1 though, haha. I'll say 10-2.

• Plus1 1

On 5/21/2019 at 2:00 PM, Danny Bateman said:

I can't remember the last time people made positive predictions about Husker football.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ce44ac54f79377755

Image result for ricky bobby what to do with my hands gif

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2019 at 3:03 PM, Xmas32 said:

223cc6d4ab4e6bab.gif

• Haha 4

On 5/22/2019 at 3:03 PM, Xmas32 said:

It's always a good idea to be holding something.  

giphy.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

We haven't finished a season in the top 25 since 2012, when we finished 25th. It'd be nice to break that streak this year. 

• Plus1 3

@Mavric Makes me wonder what Minnesota might be able to do this season, with an easy schedule. Will boats be rowed?

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

Kinda funny that ours is considered tough when it’s easier than last year’s.

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

10. MEMORIAL STADIUM (NEBRASKA)

Why it'll be tough: It's hard to imagine Nebraska's level of optimism being higher than it was prior to Scott Frost's first run in Lincoln, but even after a 4-8 season, Huskers fans are incredibly excited about what's to come this fall with a Heisman candidate at quarterback (Adrian Martinez) and College GameDay potentially making its first appearance at Memorial Stadium since 2007. If this team starts the season 4-0 (and they should), you're not going to see a more frightening environment nationally for an opposing team than what Ohio State will be forced to deal with in Week 5. Maybe the football gods will what's right and settle that Big Ten showdown in primetime. Not trying to overvalue a regular season game here, but that would be Nebraska's biggest game in a long time and the Huskers faithful would be losing their minds on gameday.

Game to watch: Ohio State, Sept. 28

• Plus1 1

On 6/3/2019 at 9:00 PM, Moiraine said:

The home field advantage is typically given atleast a touchdown or so for most teams.  At first glance our home field edge ought to be worth as much  10 pts but it has not meant nearly so much the past decade or so.   I tend to think our fans are worth atleast 7, especially when our team is having some success generally.   The past two years - not so much of course. 

The problem with assuming our schedule is going to be so much easier than last year is it fails to account for the upward trends of some of the perceived 'weaker' opponents.   Iowa and Northwestern have been giving us fits for years.  Wisconsin has basically dominated the series with NU since we joined the Big Ten.   Then you throw in the fact that we lost to Purdue badly, lost to Colorado and now go to both their stadiums, those games could easily be toss ups.  Injuries and officials can easily negate several wins - look at the past several years' penalties etc.

I think the Ohio State game will be tougher this year than last as the Buckeyes were reeling under the Urban Meyer wife beating scandal, and we kind of caught them off guard.

There are lots of very winnable games on the schedule but only a couple look to be 'easy' ones.  The 2 off weeks might fall nicely IF we survive the first 7 games without a rash of key injuries.   Then you throw in the typical two or three games a year when the weather is not favorable to our playground - fling it around alot - offense - there are plenty of reasons to argue our schedule is NOT that 'easy' and should be amongst the more difficult ones in the conference.   And, lastly, I believe we will find that the Big Ten as a conference is getting stronger from top to bottom and there are no real gimmes in there.   Home or away - 2019 is a gauntlet NOT a cakewalk. 

The biggest concern I may have with the coming season is the ever building (over) confidence by far too many fans and pundits about the Huskers.   We are still coming off two consecutive 4-8 seasons and were 0-6 last fall for the first time in history for goodness sakes!    Let's all be enthusiastic fans and support our team and coaches and players with all the zeal we can muster BUT try to maintain that support whether we get rolling or not.   The program is still in early years of a mammoth rebuilding project.   We are FAR from reloading!   

18 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The home field advantage is typically given atleast a touchdown or so for most teams.  At first glance our home field edge ought to be worth as much  10 pts but it has not meant nearly so much the past decade or so.   I tend to think our fans are worth atleast 7, especially when our team is having some success generally.   The past two years - not so much of course. 

The problem with assuming our schedule is going to be so much easier than last year is it fails to account for the upward trends of some of the perceived 'weaker' opponents.   Iowa and Northwestern have been giving us fits for years.  Wisconsin has basically dominated the series with NU since we joined the Big Ten.   Then you throw in the fact that we lost to Purdue badly, lost to Colorado and now go to both their stadiums, those games could easily be toss ups.  Injuries and officials can easily negate several wins - look at the past several years' penalties etc.

I think the Ohio State game will be tougher this year than last as the Buckeyes were reeling under the Urban Meyer wife beating scandal, and we kind of caught them off guard.

There are lots of very winnable games on the schedule but only a couple look to be 'easy' ones.  The 2 off weeks might fall nicely IF we survive the first 7 games without a rash of key injuries.   Then you throw in the typical two or three games a year when the weather is not favorable to our playground - fling it around alot - offense - there are plenty of reasons to argue our schedule is NOT that 'easy' and should be amongst the more difficult ones in the conference.   And, lastly, I believe we will find that the Big Ten as a conference is getting stronger from top to bottom and there are no real gimmes in there.   Home or away - 2019 is a gauntlet NOT a cakewalk. 

The biggest concern I may have with the coming season is the ever building (over) confidence by far too many fans and pundits about the Huskers.   We are still coming off two consecutive 4-8 seasons and were 0-6 last fall for the first time in history for goodness sakes!    Let's all be enthusiastic fans and support our team and coaches and players with all the zeal we can muster BUT try to maintain that support whether we get rolling or not.   The program is still in early years of a mammoth rebuilding project.   We are FAR from reloading!   

I believe home field advantage is worth three points vs. a neutral field, which makes a six point swing from season-to-season in conference play.

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Just think what he could do with buy in the whole season!

• Plus1 1

On 6/3/2019 at 8:00 PM, Moiraine said:

Those rankings are stupid. Indiana, who plays Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and Nebraska somehow has the easiest schedule? 

Did they randomly put that list together? 

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

So, Bunchy to center then, yeah?

Heck yeah,  throw 80 pounds on him.  That seems to be the ticket.