Chinander by the numbers

37 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Facts are facts whether you like them or not. UCF D this year is performing better this year even with 2 NFL talents gone. 

If I could lose to to the NFL and get 11 back from an undefeated team ... I'd take that most every year.  Remember, the concept is "team" ... not one or two players even makes up a defense.  I'd also like to think that having a smooth running offense helps keep any defense off the field and looking good.

There’s reason for criticism, but you could criticize the offensive decisions too. It just comes back to people trying to find something to complain about. Surprised they’re not calling for Duvals head after watching both sides of the trenches get manhandled, but there isn’t tangible enough evidence for the layman to identify those failures. 

Great second half of the season and can’t wait to see how they close out the recruiting cycle and build momentum for next year. #GBR

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It's worth noting UCF changed defense's this year from a 3-4 to Randy Shannon's 4-3.

I'm not saying that's the difference between last year's ranking and this year's, however, it should be weighed in consideration with the other variables.

I don't think Chin's defense is going to continue to be this poor and inconsistent, for what it's worth. What they desperately need is more time in the weight room, better pass rushers and some improved talent in the secondary to they can mix their coverages and play more man-to-man, IMO,.

I would think changing schemes would be a setback 

• Plus1 1

f#&% me. Where is St. Paul husker. Not sure why being a good loyal fan means you can’t question anything with the team. 

Some make excuses and say he is a young DC like that gives him a pass. My opinion he is the 2nd highest paid assistant in Nebraska history. For one of the blue blood programs in college football. For 800k I should be able to question being ranked 89th in scoring defense. 

Then just out of curiousity i checked the UCF numbers and was surprised they jumped over 30 spots without him 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
2 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

I will say in the 3 years  chins been a DC he hasn't impressed me  but Frost must see something that I don't. Chins young and has alot to learn and hopefully he can  figure it out. 

I don't really know whether he is a good DC or not. But I'm sure we'll know by the end of the 2020 season how good he is/going to be.

5 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

I will say in the 3 years  chins been a DC he hasn't impressed me  but Frost must see something that I don't. 

He took over the 118th scoring defense and turned them into the 50th, and 43rd scoring D the following 2 years. 

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

f#&% me. Where is St. Paul husker. Not sure why being a good loyal fan means you can’t question anything with the team. 

Nobody is saying you can’t question or make complaints about the staff. Make a better arguement and don’t ask for other posters to make your arguements for you. 

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Some make excuses and say he is a young DC like that gives him a pass. My opinion he is the 2nd highest paid assistant in Nebraska history. For one of the blue blood programs in college football. For 800k I should be able to question being ranked 89th in scoring defense. 

Then just out of curiousity i checked the UCF numbers and was surprised they jumped over 30 spots without him 

Ok. First, I think it’s fine to question the scheme etc. Although you are accusing me of blindly defending this staff, a quick read through today’s game thread will easily refute that arguement as I questioned many decisions by Frost and Chin both. I hate how we play zone on third and medium/short. I hate the constantly open underneath routes. I’ve said it in every game thread. 

Second, It’s already been pointed out that last year UCF played 5 of the top 25 scoring offenses as opposed to 1 this year. That probably factors in, no?

Finally, you said you aren’t calling for his job. Ok well what is it you want them to do? Some sort of probation? Put him on notice publicly? What is your ideal solution to the problem you see with Chin if you aren’t calling for his head? Get better? We all think that. 

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Questioning him/criticizing him is perfectly fine. E.g., I think Randy Shannon is a better defensive coordinator than Chinander right now. But I also know Randy Shannon has a hell of a lot more experience and I believe his best years were in 2001-2006, and when he took over as DC in Miami in 2001 they were coming off of years where they were ranked 12th and 7th in scoring defense. If that were the case here, and we'd gone from being in the top 15 in defense and had what we have now, I'd probably be right there with you. But I think you're being over the top critical. Maybe hold your horses for a couple seasons (1 if we make no improvements next year), then if he still sucks, firing him might be in the cards.

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Questioning him/criticizing him is perfectly fine. E.g., I think Randy Shannon is a better defensive coordinator than Chinander right now. But I also know Randy Shannon has a hell of a lot more experience and I believe his best years were in 2001-2006, and when he took over as DC in Miami in 2001 they were coming off of years where they were ranked 12th and 7th in scoring defense. If that were the case here, and we'd gone from being in the top 15 in defense and had what we have now, I'd probably be right there with you. But I think you're being over the top critical. Maybe hold your horses for a couple seasons (1 if we make no improvements next year), then if he still sucks, firing him might be in the cards.

The offense is not perfect but has shown a lot of improvement all year. Special teams got better. I think every position group over all progressed all season offense and defense. So the staff as a whole is great- I just question chinander is all. UCF boards trashed him while he was there- they were sad to lose everyone but him. So this isn’t a new thing to question his scheme 

24 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Ok. First, I think it’s fine to question the scheme etc. Although you are accusing me of blindly defending this staff, a quick read through today’s game thread will easily refute that arguement as I questioned many decisions by Frost and Chin both. I hate how we play zone on third and medium/short. I hate the constantly open underneath routes. I’ve said it in every game thread. 

Second, It’s already been pointed out that last year UCF played 5 of the top 25 scoring offenses as opposed to 1 this year. That probably factors in, no?

Finally, you said you aren’t calling for his job. Ok well what is it you want them to do? Some sort of probation? Put him on notice publicly? What is your ideal solution to the problem you see with Chin if you aren’t calling for his head? Get better? We all think that. 

They also switched away from 3-4 to 4-3. That shouldn’t be glossed over. Changed scheme from what they had been coached to do for a few years. Probably don’t have a roster of 4-3 guys. Ok so maybe played less explosive offenses but call it all a wash and UCF D got better without him. 

I am not calling for anything. It is a thread on a messsge board. It’s an observation and conversation. I never said fire him- I think you give it a few years of recruiting first. But I am skeptical he has the goods.