Chinander by the numbers

2 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

although Chin gets another year, obviously, i don't believe he survives here..........for now, he is along for the ride with Frost.

the over pursuit and failure to cover the cut back runs was a problem all day long.....no fix.

My guess is Frost keeps him as long as possible and we get to conference championships. Maybe we lose a few because of the defense being a liability and that’s when he knows he needs a new DC. I think Chinander stays until then, though, as long as we don’t stay in the bottom 25% of defenses consistently.

I'm nowhere close to thinking Chin needs to be let go, will eventually be let go, or needs to move on somewhere else. If I thought there was considerable talent being wasted on the defensive side of the ball, sure. The trouble is I don't. I think it was a fairly forgettable group with the exception of a few players.

I guess people can @ me if the talent markedly improves in the next few seasons and the results fail to match, but Chin probably deserves that time. I felt it was pretty clear there were things they wanted to do this year but couldn't because of the guys they had available. And, even when they coached them into the correct position, they couldn't make plays.

For clarity, I'm not trying to completely absolve Chin. I just think it's comically early to be having this conversation.

• Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I don't think you're wrong in this.

me either........etiquette requires he gets 1 or probably 2 more years.....mainly because anything we do next season will probably be construed as progress........would imagine Frost will feel obligated to keep his original staff together for at least 2-3 more years......sux.

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Fortunately, even for the very few fans critical of him, Chinander is busy recruiting now.

Chinander's job is to bring in better talent.

Duval's job is to make sure the current guys don't get beat out.

In regards to recruiting. I don’t pay attention to who actually recruits the kids we land. Does chin do a good job of recruiting? 

I can't believe some people are already wanting to continue the revolving door. Insane. The defense improved in year 1. 

How could we ever expect continuity on defense if we change a coordinator every two years?  Accountability is one thing, but already prepping yourself mentally to can this guy? What in the world.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Fortunately, even for the very few fans critical of him, Chinander is busy recruiting now.

Chinander's job is to bring in better talent.

Duval's job is to make sure the current guys don't get beat out.

You are exactly right.  One thing I haven't seen mentioned as a possibility for UCF's improvement in D this season is the upgrade in talent that Chin and the other NU coaches brought in to UCF.  Yes, the D lost a couple NFL players, but the 2018 UCF D may have more talent and depth compared to the 2017 UCF D.

He seemed to be serviceable in his second year at UCF. He gets a pass from me because of the overhaul project that faced these guys.

I think we could use some new faces on the d-line that this staff is bringing in who will have at least a couple years experience in Duvals program. There might be another year or two of D-line struggles until we can hold a rushing attack at bay more easily.

Just now, Husker_Bohunk said:

That is only part of his job. His main job imo is to stop opposing offenses. He is not great at that imo and while he may become great, so far he isn't.

Again, you are only looking at part of the post and picking it apart.  Chin's job "right now" is to go and recruit.  Once recruiting is over, he can look into ways of improving his defense and attacking the Big Ten teams.

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

In regards to recruiting. I don’t pay attention to who actually recruits the kids we land. Does chin do a good job of recruiting? 

I don't know where Chin ranks in terms of recruiting among this staff, however he plays a big role in identifying the size, skills, and attributes he looks for in certain positions.  Then the coaching staff identifies target plays for that scheme, and then goes and recruits those players.