Chinander by the numbers

Frost is like your brother who you love

Chin is like the annoying drunk fiancé that you tolerate because you want your brother around. 

I didnt like the hire from day 1.  Still don’t like the hire. I want Frost here so I’ll tolerate him. Hopefully he can come up with an average defense in the coming years. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Here's an interesting article from June 2018 and Chin talking about the D......Some interesting comments.  Especially the one about not seeing DB's 100 yrds off the ball.

What you won’t see is, you won’t see guys playing 100 yards off the ball. (Fish) is going to have his guys pressing guys, aggressive in people’s faces. You’re going to see guys rushing the passer.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-defensive-coaches-Erik-Chinander-and-Travis-Fisher-discuss-the-mindset-they-want-to-see-their-players-to-have-to-get-Scott-Frost-the-football-119114195/

8 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

If you don't have that vital piece then why even attempt to  run the  3-4 as your base? I see chin will mix it up  through the game but attempting to  run something  your not equipped  for doesn't make sense 

Because ultimately you have to commit to your system. You stand a better chance to rectruit that stud NT if he actually sees you’re running the system he would play in. 

I would much much rather him do that in year one instead of running something else and three years from now we still don’t have that guy. 

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here's an interesting article from June 2018 and Chin talking about the D......Some interesting comments.  Especially the one about not seeing DB's 100 yrds off the ball.

What you won’t see is, you won’t see guys playing 100 yards off the ball. (Fish) is going to have his guys pressing guys, aggressive in people’s faces. You’re going to see guys rushing the passer.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-defensive-coaches-Erik-Chinander-and-Travis-Fisher-discuss-the-mindset-they-want-to-see-their-players-to-have-to-get-Scott-Frost-the-football-119114195/

Our corners are often playing pretty tight, which I think is probably what he meant.

We don't play very tight against a slot receiver when there are two receivers to that side.  We seem to be trying to get a LB underneath with a safety over the top.  But they are both kind of playing half-way.  You can't take everything away but we give a lot of cushion there.  

Not sure what the answer is.  But I think we could use to be more situationally aware.  Such as on 4th & 8.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Is there an "ideal" defense right now running a similar system that we can look at as what a perfect Chinander D looks like? 

There are only two defenses in modern football, those with stacked rosters and those that are susceptible to giving up 50, and the former is rapidly decreasing.

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Our corners are often playing pretty tight, which I think is probably what he meant.

We don't play very tight against a slot receiver when there are two receivers to that side.  We seem to be trying to get a LB underneath with a safety over the top.  But they are both kind of playing half-way.  You can't take everything away but we give a lot of cushion there.  

Not sure what the answer is.  But I think we could use to be more situationally aware.  Such as on 4th & 8.

Definitely need to be more situationally aware.

As far as not playing tight on the slot receiver, I get that. First off, they are off the line so it's harder to try to press them, and they can go in motion. Second, the slot receiver is usually a shiftier guy that's hard to press anyway. If you play too tight, you get caught in no man's land and then burned deep. I get what they are trying to do, but better execution and situational awareness would be great.

• Plus1 1