Chinander by the numbers

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Robinson would make 2 of our top 9 recruits defenders.

What other highly ranked D guys are we on?  Gates and Summerall don’t seem likely to leave their regions.  Cropper seems to be recruited as a WR and not a DB.

Gates is leaving his region. If not Bama then hopefully us. There's also Josh Sanguinetti we hope to get a visit from and Markquese Bell. Also the kid you cut off of your top current commits, Jackson Hannah, is very highly regarded and a borderline 4 star.

Brandon Turnage also being a very very long shot. Not to mention new names always come up late. Beason is potentially an option that could be either DB or WR if we truly are pursuing.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, spurs1990 said:

Exactly. Case and point Michigan gave up 62 today.

Alabama gave up over 500 yards in the last two national title games vs similarly talented Clemson.

The NFL, having finally embraced modern offenses,  is making the Big 12 look like the Big 10.

Even with the best athletes money can buy, defenses are being shredded against today's schemes, with today's rule sets.

• Plus1 3

Frost is not the type of guy that will fire Chins. Also, third DC in three years and he seems to be the best of the bunch so far. I say give it time to get his guys here. The last thing we need is a constant turnover of staff to appease the fanbase, that will be few and far between with Frost. He trusts these guys and that is why he brought them along to Nebraska. He got a seven-year deal for a reason, to get this thing done. I trust Frost and Chins to get the defense playing at a higher level when they have more of their recruited athletes. And like many have said if we have an O averaging 40 a game and a defense giving up 24 a game that should be enough to win games in today's CFB. 

9 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Frost is not the type of guy that will fire Chins. Also, third DC in three years and he seems to be the best of the bunch so far. I say give it time to get his guys here. The last thing we need is a constant turnover of staff to appease the fanbase, that will be few and far between with Frost. He trusts these guys and that is why he brought them along to Nebraska. He got a seven-year deal for a reason, to get this thing done. I trust Frost and Chins to get the defense playing at a higher level when they have more of their recruited athletes. And like many have said if we have an O averaging 40 a game and a defense giving up 24 a game that should be enough to win games in today's CFB. 

I agree with pretty much everything you're saying except the bold.

I have complete faith in Frost being the type of guy who will fire one of his coaches, including Chinander, if he thinks that coach needs to be replaced in order for Nebraska to win championships. And that coach should realize this is a job and there is a certain performance required, just like any other job except the stakes are much higher because they're getting paid a lot more. I don't get where people are getting this idea that Frost is going to be loyal to coaches if they're not getting the job done. He doesn't seem that stupid to me, and being loyal to a friend who works for you when you're in this field if they're keeping the team you coach from winning championships would be stupid. But now is definitely not the time to do that and I'm hoping Chinander will work out.

• Plus1 1

You can howl all you want about Chinander. But this is a talent issue, friends. Nebraska won't have a first-team all-league defender and probably not a second-teamer. The third team is no guarantee.

Steven M. Sipple: Howl all you want about Chinander, but Blackshirts need upgrades in talent
https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/steven-m-sipple-howl-all-you-want-about-chinander-but/article_f3192ae3-65a8-550c-bc39-eba33a8634fc.amp.html

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, brophog said:

Interesting that on a day where we are discussing the relative futility of modern defense we see a game involving two Top 25 teams combine for 146 points in 7 OTs. 

And one of those teams has about as much defensive talent as you can ask for.

I like the way Chinander coaches defense because it gets results. We tackle pretty dang well in space and we are doing things to force turnovers and not just get them by sheer luck. I think there is alot to like about the way we played defense late in the season and I'm am confident we will grow even more next season.

Thats the other thing about this staff. Put x's and o's aside, Chinander knows Frosts culture inside and out. I don't think anything else matters. Chinander has been with Frost for a long time and they understand each other and they understand how to come to work to get better day by day and truly follow through with that. The culture he will bring on defense, a toughness, a swag, and a brotherhood will be more helpful to us being great again than any scheme could be.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Which coaches should Osborne have fired? The majority of good coaches would fire an assistant coach who wasn't getting the job done.

You could not have missed the point I was making any further with that question....

Circa 1990 the noise was loud for Osborne to get rid of McBride.

Loyalty in the coaching community is huge.

Frost isn't going to fire anyone, nor is any job on the football coaching staff in any trouble.

• Fire 2
13 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You could not have missed the point I was making any further with that question....

Circa 1990 the noise was loud for Osborne to get rid of McBride.

Loyalty in the coaching community is huge.

Frost isn't going to fire anyone, nor is any job on the football coaching staff in any trouble.

You didn't make any point in the post I was replying to. You stated "And Tom Osborne" when someone said Pelini was loyal to a fault. That isn't a point. It's just a statement.

A coach can't be loyal to a fault when it comes to firing coaches if their coaches weren't deserving of being fired, which McBride wasn't. A bunch of "noise" about firing a coach doesn't make the point you're trying to make in this post, because pretty much every team has people calling for coaches to be fired. Osborne not firing assistants doesn't mean he would never have done so if they weren't meeting his standards.

Frost will fire Chinander if he feels Chinander is holding Nebraska back from winning championships. If he doesn't he's an idiot. I agree that no one on the staff is in trouble this year or next. I also think Chinander will do well enough to stay as long as Frost does.

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

In trying to justify our bad defense, Sam leaves out we were #73 in yards/play.

Yes, he doesn’t point out that fact, but he does show that NU ranked about the same or better than other major football programs, including 2 of them (Stanford and Va Tech) who a lot of people think they have stingy defenses.

EDIT: NU ranked 109 in Yards Per Play allowed in 2017 with 6.3. So not only did NU cut that number by half a yard per play this year, but improved its rankings over 30 spots in national rankings. All this while using many holdover players from the Riley/Diaco era. 

• Plus1 5