Chinander by the numbers

7 hours ago, Saunders said:

You're right, I missed the word "total."

That said, "total defense" is a bad way to judge defensive efficiency. It doesn't take into account opponents played, YPP, snap counts, number of games, defensive splits, havoc rate, etc...

Have to pick the stats that fit your narrative

On 11/26/2018 at 3:55 PM, TheSker said:

The team works on tackling a lot.  Part of the reason our defense isn't perfect at tackling is because they've been taught different things.

Remember when Eichorst got involved?

And, if after the initial tackler got there and no other players tried to strip the ball, we'd hear griping about that......

I don't remember when Shawn Eichorst got involved in teaching tackling. Refresh me.

Seriously, you're going to have to let people voice their concerns about our 4-8 team. Scott Frost doesn't need you to defend this. 

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't remember when Shawn Eichorst got involved in teaching tackling. Refresh me.

Seriously, you're going to have to let people voice their concerns about our 4-8 team. Scott Frost doesn't need you to defend this. 

Anyone can voice their opinions on here, including me.....so no need to single me out.  Seriously.

Refresh yourself on the athletic department contracting Avatus.

On 11/27/2018 at 9:01 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Didn't eichorst suggest that they bring in an outside source to reach the team the rugby tackle.  

I remember frost made a joke about it when he was hired that they would not be bringing someone in yo teach them how to tackle.   

9 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Didn't eichorst suggest that they bring in an outside source to reach the team the rugby tackle.  

I remember frost made a joke about it when he was hired that they would not be bringing someone in yo teach them how to tackle.   

I think they did bring in some rugby players.

The punchline was that as coaches they should be able to teach how to tackle.

Here it is:

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/scott-frost-passionate-about-teaching-tackling-doesn-t-need-a/article_0930b4a0-0d4f-50d3-b601-da4f4b25aac8.html

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, Undone said:

This is also quite possibly partially a product of the three down linemen system. On every single down, your three down linemen match up against their five base linemen, not to mention the fact that the tight end is totally "a thing" in B1G play.

This is where Chinander enters the stage, because our linebackers have to be in proper position against the "power" teams like Wisconsin and Iowa. You absolutely have to have linebackers that aren't just strong but are also fast, and are coached for proper run fit assignment. There were some flashes where I saw Tyrin Ferguson look like he was going to make a big impact here, but overall, we just didn't have the athletes (by and large) at linebacker to overcome the inherent problems that a three down linemen front creates against these power teams.

Hopefully Fair signs and is the roadblock NT we desperately need, could use JUCO help at LB and safety too. We could have put a better 4-3 out there this season, we do lack the personnel for a good 3-4. Not physical enough up front with three and didn't have four legit starters at LB.  More time under Duval and Ellis should help considerably along with more time recruiting to the scheme.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Here it is:

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/scott-frost-passionate-about-teaching-tackling-doesn-t-need-a/article_0930b4a0-0d4f-50d3-b601-da4f4b25aac8.html

That is what i thought.   Thanks for finding that.  Hilarious that our other staff had to pay someone to teach their guys how to play football.  It reminds me of the movie Elf when the two writers idea i for the new book is to hire another writer to write a childrens book.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

That is what i thought.   Thanks for finding that.  Hilarious that our other staff had to pay someone to teach their guys how to play football.  It reminds me of the movie Elf when the two writers idea i for the new book is to hire another writer to write a childrens book.  

12 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Here it is:

Pete Carroll and other NFL coaches also brought in rugby players to teach tackling to their professional football team. Defensive players were getting penalized and ejected for the new targeting and helmet to helmet rules, and because rugby players don't wear helmets, the sport has perfected the technique of violent body tackling. It was always a good technique, but more valuable given the new rules. 

• Plus1 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Good to hear that Frost defined what he views as a good defense. I completely agree with that assessment- with how good our offense will be I think 21 wins you every game on your schedule. Because if or when we get to a national title type game- we will be playing another elite defense and we wont score 45 against them. We may only score 24.

• 3 weeks later...