Chinander by the numbers

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Interesting note via HOL:

In 2018 there were 22 B1G defensive linemen that played more than 424 snaps.  Four of them were Huskers.  Obviously Stolt's injury played a role but we could use some quality depth there.  Hello Mr. Robinson, Mr. Daniels and Mr. Daniels.

Agreed. Need depth, and no offense to our guys, but the quality of the starters has to be significantly better in the first place also.

The thing that's still weird though is that the overall approach and tactics in the Colorado and Ohio State game seemed different from most other games. I think that with careful review of the film, Chinander's going to improve as a coach and defensive play caller. Combine that with more talent and an entrenched strength program and things look totally different as soon as 2020.

31 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ultimately this is the best gauge of Chin at this point. Can't complain too much when we are making strides. When we start to plateau is when we can really make assesments of Chinanders ability, until then its hard to say.

I wouldn't mind plateauing around the top 10... :)

• Plus1 1

22 hours ago, Mavric said:

Considering it was basically the same players I will give some credit for the improvement. Especially since it was a harder schedule as well. BUT it shouldnt have been too hard to improve upon possibly the worst defense in Husker history. 

We need a big jump in offense and defense this year. When you actually look at the numbers the defense improved at the same tick as the offense. Didnt seem that way but they did. I am kinda surprised our offense didnt have a bigger jump- the eye test felt like it was alot better. 

2017 offense 25 points per game 2018 offense 28 points per game

2017 defense 36 points per game allowed 2018 defense 33 points per game allowed. 3 points a game isnt exactly a turnaround coming off historically bad defense.

So essentially offense and defense got better total by 6 points per game.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

2017 offense 25 points per game 2018 offense 28 points per game

2017 defense 36 points per game allowed 2018 defense 33 points per game allowed. 3 points a game isnt exactly a turnaround coming off historically bad defense.

So essentially offense and defense got better total by 6 points per game.

Yep, good stats.With fewer mindless offensive penalties combined with better special teams (which usually translates into better starting field position) I think that we could improve our offensive points per game total by about 5-7 points over our 208 average.

If our defense played even just slightly better than they did across games 7-12 we could probably decrease points allowed per game by about 5ish. That scenario combined again with better special teams play almost definitely takes us to 9-3.

The biggest thing in the West right now is how much Purdue & Iowa have improved offensively. Iowa's going to be hard to beat this year no matter what anyone says.

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yep, good stats.With fewer mindless offensive penalties combined with better special teams (which usually translates into better starting field position) I think that we could improve our offensive points per game total by about 5-7 points over our 208 average.

If our defense played even just slightly better than they did across games 7-12 we could probably decrease points allowed per game by about 5ish. That scenario combined again with better special teams play almost definitely takes us to 9-3.

The biggest thing in the West right now is how much Purdue & Iowa have improved offensively. Iowa's going to be hard to beat this year no matter what anyone says.

? How have they really improved offensively? They just lost their top two TEs to the draft as well. Not that Iowa isn't a tough team, but I don't see their offense as being in the same class as we are or even Purdue now. Iowa's offense isn't innovative, not that it has to be, but I don't see their offense as a threat.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

? How have they really improved offensively? They just lost their top two TEs to the draft as well. Not that Iowa isn't a tough team, but I don't see their offense as being in the same class as we are or even Purdue now. Iowa's offense isn't innovative, not that it has to be, but I don't see their offense as a threat.

Yeah, they had something going last year with the 2 stud tight ends but now what? I don't see them replicating their success from this year, especially if our d-line continues to develop.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

They averaged 30.6 points per game. Ferentz incorporated a few spread concepts that have made them just slightly more dynamic. They've also got a fairly good quarterback. They're not great on offense, but we haven't exactly had an answer for Iowa at all the past few years.

• Plus1 1

I think we know the answer for Iowa, we just haven't had the horses on the d-line and at LB. If you can stop them from averaging 5+ yards every time they run outside zone, they can't use their changeups as much or as well. I guess we won't know that for sure until we see it, but I'm a lot more confident we do that this year. Their o-line is always good, but that's not enough without some playmakers and I just don't see any without Fant and Hockenson.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

They averaged 30.6 points per game. Ferentz incorporated a few spread concepts that have made them just slightly more dynamic. They've also got a fairly good quarterback. They're not great on offense, but we haven't exactly had an answer for Iowa at all the past few years.

Fair enough, just don't agree with lumping them with Purdue(that offense scares me). Stanely is good though and that definitely makes them tougher to defend. As always they have a tough running game.

24 minutes ago, Undone said:

Iowa doesn’t scare me for one reason: they get in their own way. It’s not that they improved offensively that is noteworthy, it’s that they should have improved a lot more.  They only rushed for 4 ypc on the year, and as good as those two tight ends were, they only combined for 88 catches. Imo, they were enormous mismatches for the defenses in the conference and were very underutilized. Stanley is a QB that I think has a far higher ceiling than Iowa shows. Just don’t think they really got enough production given some very good talent.

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, brophog said:

Iowa doesn’t scare me for one reason: they get in their own way. It’s not that they improved offensively that is noteworthy, it’s that they should have improved a lot more.  They only rushed for 4 ypc on the year, and as good as those two tight ends were, they only combined for 88 catches. Imo, they were enormous mismatches for the defenses in the conference and were very underutilized. Stanley is a QB that I think has a far higher ceiling than Iowa shows. Just don’t think they really got enough production given some very good talent.

Until we actually get stronger on our defensive front seven, I don't have much confidence in consistently beating the "power" offensive scheme teams in the B1G (unless we're just assuming that next season will be like 2017 UCF on offense where we average 45 points per game to save us).

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Until we actually get stronger on our defensive front seven, I don't have much confidence in consistently beating the "power" offensive scheme teams in the B1G (unless we're just assuming that next season will be like 2017 UCF on offense where we average 45 points per game to save us).

We were competitive in every game except Michigan this past season.

......and there's no reason to think we won't be better on both sides of the ball next season.

• Plus1 3