Chinander by the numbers

I think these stats are interesting to note. They seem contrary that you cannot be an up tempo team and play better defense. Also I think they are relevant to analyzing chinander as a coach. 

Last year UCF was ranked 53rd in scoring defense. 

This year UCF ranks 21st in scoring defense. Even with departures of their 2 best defensive players in Hughes and griffin off to the NFL. 

I think that stat is interesting because it is basically the same players except lacking your 2 best players chinander had when he was the DC. 

I think it also shows a top 10 offense that goes up tempo can also stop the other team from scoring. 

Last year we we had one of our worst defenses ever and ranked 116th in scoring defense. This year we rank 89th, which is better but still pathetic. But honestly who couldn’t improve from diaco. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think these stats are interesting to note. They seem contrary that you cannot be an up tempo team and play better defense. Also I think they are relevant to analyzing chinander as a coach. 

Last year UCF was ranked 53rd in scoring defense. 

This year UCF ranks 21st in scoring defense. Even with departures of their 2 best defensive players in Hughes and griffin off to the NFL. 

I think that stat is interesting because it is basically the same players except lacking your 2 best players chinander had when he was the DC. 

I think it also shows a top 10 offense that goes up tempo can also stop the other team from scoring. 

Last year we we had one of our worst defenses ever and ranked 116th in scoring defense. This year we rank 89th, which is better but still pathetic. But honestly who couldn’t improve from diaco. 

This defense also has had 3 D coord in 4 years. 

I get it. The defense does suck. They do almost nothing well right now. 

But, you can not be calling for the head of a coach in year 1. Especially one who inherited this dumpster fire. 

If at the end of year 3 they are still playing like this then have at it. 

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Chinander just completed his 3rd season as a coordinator.  Twice inheriting awful teams with bad tendencies, full of the last guys recruits for a different scheme.  

The guys here at NU have had 4 different D coordinators in 5 years, depending on how long they've been in school.  That means learning 2/3/4 new schemes while adjusting to new coaches. 

You don't think the kids at UCF recieved positive habits from this coaching staff they are carrying over this year after they took them from 0-12 to 13-0? It would be nice to inherit a 13-0 crew rather than a 116th ranked 4-8 crew. 

How about you just calm the heck down give him a couple years to recruit and develop?

I never said fire him did I? I am examining how a different d coordinator is doing with the same players he had. The new guy actually has less talent. 2 guys chinander had are in NFL

2 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Yeah that’s probably it. You got us

I showed some defensive numbers and you jumped the gun and said I was calling for his head. I never said such a thing. It means I am skeptical he is the guy. 

Doesnt mean he wont be with better players as some imply but I am skeptical because those numbers make me wonder. 

Especially when I saw some guys more worried about stripping the ball today than getting the guy to the ground. At times giving up an extra 3 yards. 

They did switch to a 4-3 base and have Randy Shannon as a DC....He's only been coaching like 25+ years.......I'm not sold on Chin. It's the circular argument of talent vs scheme.  In year one, it's truly probably both.  Year 3, I think we will have a very definitive answer.  However, when Frost says in the presser we need to get bigger and stronger, that tells me a lot.  Regardless of scheme, getting beaten at the LOS won't ever be successful...

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Facts are facts whether you like them or not. UCF D this year is performing better this year even with 2 NFL talents gone. 

Maybe the fact last year they faced 5 teams in the top 25 in scoring including 2nd overall scoring offense after UCF in Memphis twice and this year they’ve only faced 1 such team?

• Plus1 6

It's worth noting UCF changed defense's this year from a 3-4 to Randy Shannon's 4-3.

I'm not saying that's the difference between last year's ranking and this year's, however, it should be weighed in consideration with the other variables.

I don't think Chin's defense is going to continue to be this poor and inconsistent, for what it's worth. What they desperately need is more time in the weight room, better pass rushers and some improved talent in the secondary to they can mix their coverages and play more man-to-man, IMO,.

40 minutes ago, Slow yer Roll said:

It will be an interesting study in organizational behavior when the natives are calling for Chins head.

It will give Coach Frost some premature graying, and ulcers.

Hopefully some better horses arrive soon and make everything tolerable.

Sort of feels like you might be arguing with a straw man. Assuming that the sentiment on this board is a halfway decent cross-section of the fan base (which may or may not be the case), I've seen a lot of people switching their opinion to one that believes the coaching staff has wound up actually squeezing out "more" from the "less" that we have during the second half of the season.

If Chinander doesn't get credit for that, who does?

I do agree about needing the better horses part, though.