Chinander by the numbers

5 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I really like the analysis here but I disagree (sort of) on one regard, and thats the amount of blame one unit deserves. The offense flat out sputtered for a quarter and a half every game. The D was not great by any means but they did not get a lot of help by the O. Troy, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Ohio St, and Iowa all come to mind as games where the offense just disappears out of nowhere. Special Teams had a slow start, but quietly became a strength in the latter half of the season. The offense can't go 3 and out 4 drives in a row like it did so much. 

I’m not blaming any unit. Things like return units on special teams and defense provide points that are not contingent on offensive yards. Teams that do well in the yards per point metric will usually have units that provide non-offensive scores. A primary mission of our defense is to score directly off turnovers, it’s part of every practice. Things like our DBs turning deflections into interceptions greatly increases the likelihood of defensive scores, and as our technique continues to improve, we should expect exactly that. Field position also plays a vital part in this metric. Poor starting field position increases the chance for long drives that do not result in points. Our coaches have a stated goal of starting all drives from the 30+ for this reason.

Obviously an offense going 3 and out is not generating many yards on those drives and therefore the yards per point metric is pretty useless. I think it goes without saying that any team that isn’t doing well in this statistic needs to finish drives better.

20 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

UCF went from 28 year 1 to 46 year 2. Same coach. Martinez way better talent than Milton. Why Not?

I believe we are also replacing much more production between year 1 and 2 than UCF did. It all depends on if people step up to fill the voids

2 hours ago, jsneb83 said:

I believe we are also replacing much more production between year 1 and 2 than UCF did. It all depends on if people step up to fill the voids

My personal opinion is thats a good thing for us. I think the more Frost recruits that get up to speed and get on the field the better. I think his recruits are better athletes and geared to succeed in his system more so than the leftovers from the Riley regime. 

• Plus1 1