OLine Work in Progress

Mavric

1 hour ago, Frostberg said:

^ OMG!!

I hate the thought that we would only go under center for sneaks. It makes it pretty obvious and our O line isn't good enough for the defense to know the play.

QB sneak conversion rates are so high that even when it’s obvious it is still the best play. It’s just a question of practicing it and having a few built in adjustments. 

• Plus1 2
59 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

How aobut the defense? We were 105th and 93rd on 3rd and 4th down stops. Rushing defense was abysmal last year. 

26 rushing attempts on 3rd and 3 or less. 20 first downs surrendered.

10 rushing attempts on 4th down. 7 first downs surrendered.

You could say it was a bit of a problem....

• Plus1 1
On 4/16/2019 at 11:20 PM, Moiraine said:

Our offense was really good last year, so even with moderate improvement on the OL, things should be looking good.

Honestly, at this point I just hope we don’t regress too much.

I’ve been kinda down on the offensive line this spring, but there were several plays in the spring game where the end result is improved with better backs and receiver play. That’s the hope, I think, is that other areas improve to help the line. 

The other big thing is center. It’s very hard to be a really great offense without good center play. Cam has come a long way in a short time. It feels like it’ll be his job, regardless, but can he claim it because he’s the right option now or merely because he may be the right option in the future. Whomever it is, I’d like to see that job settled sooner than later because it will take time for this new line to figure things out.

54 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

You need to take the spring game as a grain of salt.  Both lines have been playing against each other (some for a long time) and they know what each other is going to do, plus the DL has more upper classman.  This is basically the same line with another year of conditioning.  When I here pipeline, this tells me Austin is pushing tradition.

I never know who to root for. My two biggest desires are a dominate OL and a dominate DL. When the OL looks terrible in the spring is it because we have a great DL, or a bad OL?

12 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I never know who to root for. My two biggest desires are a dominate OL and a dominate DL. When the OL looks terrible in the spring is it because we have a great DL, or a bad OL?

I don't take much from the spring game as its a lot of base sets.  I want to see the new comers.  I think we have a few years to go before our OL is dominate.   We need to add more players like Benhardt this year and Corcoran next year.  DL appears to have more talent and has better depth.  Overall it appears we are heading in the right direction in the trenches.

3 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

This is basically the same line with another year of conditioning.  

The line, as it would currently stand, would replace significant experience with a sophomore walk on and a redshirt freshman that has never played offensive line. 

21 minutes ago, brophog said:

The line, as it would currently stand, would replace significant experience with a sophomore walk on and a redshirt freshman that has never played offensive line. 

Lets see, both starting tackles, a starting guard & 2nd string guard are all back from last year.   Center is the question.  As of right now, we do not know who is going to win that job.  Regardless, all where here last year and have an extra year of conditioning.

27 minutes ago, brophog said:

True. However, while a great leader, Foster seemed to struggle in protection last year. I think the line play will be improved based on the experience we are bringing back at both tackle positions and at rg.

11 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

However, while a great leader, Foster seemed to struggle in protection last year. 

You can say the exact same about Matt Farniok as he enters this year. That’s why we want to move him inside, but can’t because no one else has stepped up at tackle.

There is becoming this narrative in this thread that it’s all about the center. It is the single biggest question mark, regardless of whom wins the job. However, I can put on the tape against teams like Iowa and Michigan State and wish we had much better tackles.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...