OLine Work in Progress

Mavric

Kind of reminds me of 2016 where we had a good group of guys that we knew we'd have for a few years. I remember feeling optimistic that by the time they were seniors they'd have improved and be a formidable crew. 

That never came to fruition really. Hopefully this time with multiple years left for Jaimes, Farniok, Wilson, and other young guys it's a big strength in years to come. Obviously I feel like this bunch is in better hands.

52 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I hope we can get an infusion of more talent and depth to help improve the o-line. I would rather have Farniok as a guard, but that means another guy will need to take his spot. I know that the stud OT from Minnesota is a great talent, but it’s tough to expect him to contribute as a true frosh. 

I won't get into the pros and cons of it, but a number of interest is 134. That's the overall ranking of our "best" recruit. Nebraska is putting together a strong class, but to win you need game changers. We might have a few of them, but right now it seems a lot of our guys are going to be the ones you develop. Once everything starts taking hold (my guess is year 2), we should be able to start climbing those rankings. 

I'll add for context 2AM was ranked 139 last year and we see how that played out. So we may be getting our guys, but we've got some rebuilding to do. 

• 1 month later...

Sean Callahan expecting Gaylord to move to RT and start out as the #1 guy with Benhart behind him.  Farniok slides inside to RG with Wilson at LG.  Hunter Miller and Cam Jurgens working at center along with Bland (if he gets here).  That would leave Hixon and Sichterman to be backups as they are guys the staff supposedly likes.

A starting lineup of Jaimes-Wilson-Miller-Farniok-Gaylord would be solid - and it won't surprise me if Benhart works his way onto the front line at some point.  But also having Sichterman-Hixon-Jurgens-Benhart on the second line should get closer to having the depth we could use.  Plus Bland (maybe?).

Edited by Mavric
Corrected
  • Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sean Callahan expecting Gaylord to move to RT and start out as the #1 guy with Benhart behind him.  Farniok slides inside to RG with Wilson at LG.  Hunter Miller and Cam Jurgens working at center along with Bland (if he gets here).  That would leave Hixon and Sichterman to be backups as they are guys the staff supposedly likes.

A starting lineup of Jaimes-Wilson-Hixon-Farniok-Gaylord would be solid - and it won't surprise me if Benhart works his way onto the front line at some point.  But also having Sichterman-Hixon-Jurgens-Benhart on the second line should get closer to having the depth we could use.  Plus Bland (maybe?).

Thanks for the info as always Mav. Interesting to see no mention of Raridon - I really had high hopes for him. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

A starting lineup of Jaimes-Wilson-Hixon-Farniok-Gaylord would be solid - and it won't surprise me if Benhart works his way onto the front line at some point.  But also having Sichterman-Hixon-Jurgens-Benhart on the second line should get closer to having the depth we could use.  Plus Bland (maybe?).

I really like how that's starting to look.  Benhart could work his way into the starting lineup.  I think it's going to be a bad sign if he starts from day one.

Kinda surprised to see Gaylord mentioned as the potential starter, but hopefully he's the next guy who puts it all together at the end of his career. Finally some depth developing at least, but I'd feel a lot better if someone like Raridon or Bando starting making some noise. Tackle is still a little scary too, but Gaylord and Sichterman have at least seen the field and Benhart has a lot of talent, so I feel a little better than last year there.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:36 AM, Husker in WI said:

Kinda surprised to see Gaylord mentioned as the potential starter, but hopefully he's the next guy who puts it all together at the end of his career. Finally some depth developing at least, but I'd feel a lot better if someone like Raridon or Bando starting making some noise. Tackle is still a little scary too, but Gaylord and Sichterman have at least seen the field and Benhart has a lot of talent, so I feel a little better than last year there.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised about Gaylord as well because he hasn't seemed to be that close to seeing the field.  But the story is he was headed the right direction last year and the coaches liked what they were seeing.

I'm just now reading the article from the OP, but I thought this quote from Austin was interesting: "Sometimes guys look like they're not working hard because they don't know what the hell they're doing. That's the issue sometimes. They're not finishing a block because they don't know how to finish the block."

• Plus1 1

On 1/18/2019 at 8:21 AM, Mavric said:

I wouldnt count on Cam Jurgens

He hasnt played an injury free season in football since his Soph year in HS

Great athlete- hope it works out- but history is against him

Does it bother anyone else that our OL has been a consistent problem probably ever since Solich left?

Sure, we've had a handful of really exceptional players in that time. But as a unit the OL has been consistently mediocre for going on 15 years now.

It boggles the mind that we can't figure out success starts up front while watching Wisconsin and Iowa right next door churn out fantastic lines year after year.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Blocking schemes for a pro offense are often more complicated than a standard 'run first' offense.  Frost's offense is supposed to be much easier to master via blocking schemes.  I expect massive improvements over the next few years.

Let's hope so... nowhere to go but up!

If that's the case, though, what excuse did Bo have? The offenses under Watson and Beck always leaned run first until they couldn't and our lines were still generally pretty disappointing.

Just now, Clifford Franklin said:

Let's hope so... nowhere to go but up!

If that's the case, though, what excuse did Bo have? The offenses under Watson and Beck always leaned run first until they couldn't and our lines were still generally pretty disappointing.

After a few years of riley i dont think some of those pelini lines were as bad as we thought they were. They were never elite and they always had very good running backs but i they weren't awful.

1 hour ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Does it bother anyone else that our OL has been a consistent problem probably ever since Solich left?

Sure, we've had a handful of really exceptional players in that time. But as a unit the OL has been consistently mediocre for going on 15 years now.

It boggles the mind that we can't figure out success starts up front while watching Wisconsin and Iowa right next door churn out fantastic lines year after year.

Sure, it stinks that they haven’t been up to 80s and 90s par. 

Weve had some bad O lines. But, im of the opinion that we’ve had some lines that aren’t as bad as some fans like to think...at least as far as talent. 

We’ve had some horrific schemes when it comes to helping your O line succeed. Riley’s was probably the worst. It literally set them up to fail. Bo’s offense made the o line look bad. For instance, people would complain that the RB was having to avoid tacklers in the back field, well...that scheme always had one unblocked defender and the QB and RB had the job to avoid him. That’s not the O line’s fault. 

We we have had some lines where the talent was there but our S&C program stunk. 

Luckly now, we have a scheme that helps the o line and a good S&C program.