Jump to content
Mavric

OLine Work in Progress

Recommended Posts


Who were the red OL’s? Or who are the current No. 1’s, if the red OL wasn’t exactly the No. 1’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Who were the red OL’s? Or who are the current No. 1’s, if the red OL wasn’t exactly the No. 1’s.

 

The red OL was the guys who have generally been seen to be the #1 unit this spring: Jaimes-Hixson-Jurgens-Wilson-MFarniok

 

The white starters were Bando-Raridon-WFarniok(?)-Sichterman-Gaylord

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opinions on O-line progress after watching Spring Game?

 

Personally; I still see the O-line as the biggest area that lacks behind in comparison to our conference foes; followed slowly by our DBs.

The gap became VERY wide under Riley. The gap has been significantly narrowed; but I think the damage needs one more year to be reversed, via coaching and weight training, if we want to see a top-5 O-line unit. Hopefully the offensive scheme and our play-makers can compensate...

of course, it be great if I was completely wrong and our O-Line mauled Defenses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red_Payne said:

Opinions on O-line progress after watching Spring Game?

 

Personally; I still see the O-line as the biggest area that lacks behind in comparison to our conference foes; followed slowly by our DBs.

The gap became VERY wide under Riley. The gap has been significantly narrowed; but I think the damage needs one more year to be reversed, via coaching and weight training, if we want to see a top-5 O-line unit. Hopefully the offensive scheme and our play-makers can compensate...

of course, it be great if I was completely wrong and our O-Line mauled Defenses.

 

 

Our offense was really good last year, so even with moderate improvement on the OL, things should be looking good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Red_Payne said:

The gap has been significantly narrowed; but I think the damage needs one more year to be reversed, via coaching and weight training, 

 

I don’t think the gap has narrowed at all. It will, but right now we are paying the price for not being able to recruit more offensive lineman in that transition class. That’s no fault of the staff, we had numbers issues in a lot of places. What we need are some of these carryovers to produce and we just aren’t seeing enough of that.

 

The future of the offensive line is very, very bright, but this group is young and that’s going to show. Luckily, the schedule ramps up nicely and we have a QB that has some escapability. The best thing for this offensive line will be for the perimeter to block well, allowing us to get the ball out on screens quick, spread the field and use numbers to offset blocking. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more multiple TE sets to help out, too.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

Our offense was really good last year, so even with moderate improvement on the OL, things should be looking good.

We have a lot of production to replace on offense. No guarantees just yet imo. Better line play will certainly be requisite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, brophog said:

 

I don’t think the gap has narrowed at all. It will, but right now we are paying the price for not being able to recruit more offensive lineman in that transition class. That’s no fault of the staff, we had numbers issues in a lot of places. What we need are some of these carryovers to produce and we just aren’t seeing enough of that.

 

The future of the offensive line is very, very bright, but this group is young and that’s going to show. Luckily, the schedule ramps up nicely and we have a QB that has some escapability. The best thing for this offensive line will be for the perimeter to block well, allowing us to get the ball out on screens quick, spread the field and use numbers to offset blocking. I wouldn’t be surprised to see more multiple TE sets to help out, too.


I agree it's just going to take time for the o-line as bodies need to mature to play there at a high level. Austin showed that this group got better down the stretch but overall our talent on the line isn't good right now. This will drastically change over the next 2-3 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

Opinions on O-line progress after watching Spring Game?

 

Personally; I still see the O-line as the biggest area that lacks behind in comparison to our conference foes; followed slowly by our DBs.

The gap became VERY wide under Riley. The gap has been significantly narrowed; but I think the damage needs one more year to be reversed, via coaching and weight training, if we want to see a top-5 O-line unit. Hopefully the offensive scheme and our play-makers can compensate...

of course, it be great if I was completely wrong and our O-Line mauled Defenses.

I agree with this. It was disturbing to see repeated failures on 3rd and very short last year. IMO, we could have increased our scoring by 20% if we had converted every 3rd and 2 or less. And by keeping those drives alive, we probably reduce opposition scoring by 10%. The failures on 4th down were even more heartbreaking. Until we can line up with confidence on 3rd and 1, we will struggle to win the West.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I agree with this. It was disturbing to see repeated failures on 3rd and very short last year. IMO, we could have increased our scoring by 20% if we had converted every 3rd and 2 or less. And by keeping those drives alive, we probably reduce opposition scoring by 10%. The failures on 4th down were even more heartbreaking. Until we can line up with confidence on 3rd and 1, we will struggle to win the West.

 

I’m a big believer that you have to look at the tape and the stats, because one doesn’t replace the other. The tape shows the detail, the stats paint the picture.

 

This is one of those examples. We were not as bad on third and short as our memories will have us believe. On third down as a whole, absolutely. 37% conversion rate. But 3rd and 3 or less?

 

Passing 7 of 11 completions, 5 first downs. Conversion rate of 45%.

Rushing 35 attempts, 27 first downs. Conversion rate of 77%.

Total 70%

 

We were actually in good company, especially in regards to rushing success on plays requiring 3 yards or less.

 

The problem was both the percentage of downs longer than 3 yards and the conversion rate of those longer downs. On 3rd down passes requiring 7 yards or more, we converted only 7 of 43. 

 

 

 

  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brophog said:

 

I’m a big believer that you have to look at the tape and the stats, because one doesn’t replace the other. The tape shows the detail, the stats paint the picture.

 

This is one of those examples. We were not as bad on third and short as our memories will have us believe. On third down as a whole, absolutely. 37% conversion rate. But 3rd and 3 or less?

 

Passing 7 of 11 completions, 5 first downs. Conversion rate of 45%.

Rushing 35 attempts, 27 first downs. Conversion rate of 77%.

Total 70%

 

We were actually in good company, especially in regards to rushing success on plays requiring 3 yards or less.

 

The problem was both the percentage of downs longer than 3 yards and the conversion rate of those longer downs. On 3rd down passes requiring 7 yards or more, we converted only 7 of 43. 

 

 

 

I think we were worse at the beginning of last year. I would have to look it up, but my memory is telling me that we failed to convert several times on 3rd and 1, and the same for 4th and 1.  Weren't we close to last in the nation for a while with our conversion rate on 4th down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Weren't we close to last in the nation for a while with our conversion rate on 4th down?

 

Yes. Finished 103rd after greatly improving down the stretch. We began running Martinez out of empty.

 

It was hinted in the spring we may practice some under center if only for the purpose of sneaks. 

 

 

 

 

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...