OLine Work in Progress

Mavric

On 4/20/2019 at 12:51 AM, brophog said:

You can say the exact same about Matt Farniok as he enters this year. That’s why we want to move him inside, but can’t because no one else has stepped up at tackle.

There is becoming this narrative in this thread that it’s all about the center. It is the single biggest question mark, regardless of whom wins the job. However, I can put on the tape against teams like Iowa and Michigan State and wish we had much better tackles.

Really wish we had been able to score a JUCO RT good enough to move Farniok to his natural position. That would leave only suspect at our immature center position.  But Farniok is at least in better shape this year, more muscle less gut, should help some. I think Jaimes will be pretty solid at LT.  If Benhart comes along enough to move Farniok inside in 2020 I see us having a pretty salty O-line then. 

• 2 weeks later...

Center is the only offensive position I really worry about. Questions elsewhere, but those will sort out after a few games. Just reading between the lines, it seems it is Cam or bust...and he’s busted. You just don’t have half your offense learning to snap if it weren’t a worry. 

3 hours ago, brophog said:

Center is the only offensive position I really worry about. Questions elsewhere, but those will sort out after a few games. Just reading between the lines, it seems it is Cam or bust...and he’s busted. You just don’t have half your offense learning to snap if it weren’t a worry. 

Yes and no.  Obviously they are still looking.  But not very many college linemen play center in high school.  The better linemen usually play tackle if possible or guard.  So most guys are converted guards who are going to have to learn how to snap.  And you're going to want at least three if not four guys who are good at it just so you can run practice let alone be prepared for injuries.  So I don't think it's all that concerning all by itself.  It probably goes on every year.  We just are hearing about it more now beacuse we know the guy who is supposed to be our starting center has been hurt.

32 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yes and no.  Obviously they are still looking.  But not very many college linemen play center in high school.  The better linemen usually play tackle if possible or guard.  So most guys are converted guards who are going to have to learn how to snap.  And you're going to want at least three if not four guys who are good at it just so you can run practice let alone be prepared for injuries.  So I don't think it's all that concerning all by itself.  It probably goes on every year.  We just are hearing about it more now beacuse we know the guy who is supposed to be our starting center has been hurt.

I fail to see where the ‘no’ came in. You simply described the ‘yes’. Yes, the guy that we presume to be the starter is hurt, and yes we need to develop depth from people who primarily haven’t played center.

Just now, brophog said:

I fail to see where the ‘no’ came in. You simply described the ‘yes’. Yes, the guy that we presume to be the starter is hurt, and yes we need to develop depth from people who primarily haven’t played center.

I guess that depends on what you're classifying as a "worry".  You're statement was "You just don’t have half your  offense learning to snap if it weren’t a worry".  I don't think they necessarily "worried" about it.  They could just be trying to find the best fits.

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess that depends on what you're classifying as a "worry".  You're statement was "You just don’t have half your  offense learning to snap if it weren’t a worry".  I don't think they necessarily "worried" about it.  They could just be trying to find the best fits.

I can’t speak to Frost and his staff, but if both of those assertions were ‘yes’, I’d be worried about that position. Especially that particular position. 

Austin likes new linemen's approach; Benhart off to strong start

There's been some pondering if Benhart might be able to play right from the get-go, and Austin didn't bat away the possibility on the "Sports Nightly" radio show on Tuesday night, saying that Benhart is someone "we're depending on sooner rather than later." The positive news on that end is he has done a good job of picking up the offense and giving what was hoped in the weight room.

"I don't know if it's this year, or if it's his redshirt freshman year, but certainly the kid has all the measurables, he has all the weight, the mindset is there."

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Center is def a concern right now. I was hoping Raridon panned out and could play Center if needed

He's one of those guys that a lot of people had high hopes for, myself included. I still think he could be a good contributor this season, really good in fact. But at guard.