Iowa Band Member accuses Huskers of not participating in "The Wave"

Cdog923

Its a very cool tradition and I would very much so hope that our players participated however... If they choose not to, then that is within their right.

I always thought it was more for the fans.

If you look at other tweets, she clearly dislikes the Huskers and our fans a great deal. She wants to make us look bad and thats within her right.

I would suggest we give her no more attention, and hopefully she can get her degree and go get a job. My advice to her is to be careful what you tweet because some employers check facebook/twitter and there are a lot of Husker fans out there. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I was in the band at Nebraska, and there is a camaraderie among all band members and alums across the country. Back in my day, I was gracious and friendly with band members from K-State, Mizzou, Colorado, and Texas, even though either I or they were in hostile territory at the time, and they were equally kind to the Nebraska band. Bands all over respect and appreciate each other. I even worked at a sandwich shop with a former Iowa band member at one time, he was a good dude. 

Having said that, from a Nebraska band nerd to an Iowa band nerd: this nutjob can go to hell. 

• Haha 9
13 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I was in the band at Nebraska, and there is a camaraderie among all band members and alums across the country. Back in my day, I was gracious and friendly with band members from K-State, Mizzou, Colorado, and Texas, even though either I or they were in hostile territory at the time, and they were equally kind to the Nebraska band. Bands all over respect and appreciate each other. I even worked at a sandwich shop with a former Iowa band member at one time, he was a good dude.  

Having said that, from a Nebraska band nerd to an Iowa band nerd: this nutjob can go to hell. 

OK, a little off-topic here, but do you know why the KU band still sings this song before games?  Any knowledge of the history behind it, or why they still sing it when we aren't in the same conference anymore?

21 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I had a few friends in the band when I was in school. Was it true that a few Missouri fans carried a piccolo player off in the mid 2000s? 

Just now, BrooklynsFinest said:

Technically she said Nebraska is the only team to visit and not wave, she didn’t say the Hawkeyes themselves have to participate ;)

Oh, you're about half a dozen tweets short on this train wreck of an accusation.  Here's her final, final, seriously this time final take on The Wave.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

OK, a little off-topic here, but do you know why the KU band still sings this song before games?  Any knowledge of the history behind it, or why they still sing it when we aren't in the same conference anymore?

Huh, I've never heard that before. Had a good friend in high school who was a lifelong Husker fan but was in the band at KU, but she never mentioned this to me. Kansas historically has a good marching band.

Maybe its some 100 year old tradition that will never die. Maybe we are still in their heads (I have friends from Colorado who still seem to think it is always 2001). Maybe they are so delirious from KU football sucking donkey balls for so long that they have gravitated into a collective form of group-dumbassitude. Who knows.

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I had a few friends in the band when I was in school. Was it true that a few Missouri fans carried a piccolo player off in the mid 2000s? 

Was already gone by then, so I have no idea. But I will say that, even though the band was always fine, Missouri fans are the worst. 

14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Board/103723/Contents/KU-Traditions-Hog-Calling-Time-In-the-North-End-Zone-you-tube-71446885/

Best I could find is that some random band member started playing Hog Calling back in the 70s and it caught on.

23 minutes ago, knapplc said:

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Board/103723/Contents/KU-Traditions-Hog-Calling-Time-In-the-North-End-Zone-you-tube-71446885/

"As the person responsible for bringing this song to Jayhawk Nation, let me clear up a couple of things. First, I graduated from high school in Nebraska (Kearney), I learned this campfire song in Boy Scouts there, and so Husker fans (and Razorbacks), chill - it's all in fun. It was started my freshman year (Aug 1977) when myself and three other guys weretrying to kill time before run-in by singing classic barbershop quartet songs. Fellow tubas John Clayton & Gordon Lankenau, with drum major Steve Gordon, and I ran thru a few songs to scattered applause and had time to do one more. I pulled Hog Calling out and said to just follow my lead with the chorus and call/response & "preaching". The people listening laughed and next week we were asked to do it again. And so it started. By the time I marched my last game as a student (1981), it had elevatedto most of the band gathering around to join in. I continue to be amazed that the tradition continues, and continues to evolve. It's for the band members; it's not a diss of other states or mascots. It works for us or it would have stopped long ago. Enjoy it if you "get" it, don't watch if you don't. I guarantee the past, present and future band members won't care. 2007-2008 KU ISU game where we were undefeated and 11-0. There was truly no better day to be a KU JAYHAWK!"

FWIW

• Plus1 2