Why all the pregame trash talk?

Dicklies

11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Like I said, kudos to him, that’s great. I probably shouldn’t be splitting this hair but I still haven’t seen proof of what Iowan claimed....$1M annually. Those six figure donations could be $100K, still awesome but it’s not what was claimed.

Agree with the bold, heh. It doesn't matter if he donates that much or not, because no one made fun of a hospital.

12 hours ago, knapplc said:

I tried to post this earlier but it wouldn't go. Not sure why. Trying again.

So you're unencumbered by the local Nebraska media pushing a narrative. You (presumably) grew up in a native Big Ten environment, (perhaps) unencumbered by that interloper, Penn State. You know the Big Ten as it was, and should be.

So, Nebraska comes along. They pimp this "rivalry" at us and create that godawful monstrosity of a trophy that both fan bases hate.

Still. I ask you. What does Iowa Fan think of Nebraska? Do you consider us a rival? Iowa has actual real traditional rivals in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Where, (if at all) does Nebraska rank amongst Iowa's actual factual rivals among actual real Iowa Hawkeye fans?

Thanks for taking my call. I'll hang up and listen.

Just like Nebraska fans feelings about Iowa - I think it depends on where you live.  For me, living in Lincoln it is probably number 2 right behind Wisconsin.  The family we stay with in Iowa City when we go to the games - also top 2 because his father in law is one of those bad Nebraska fans that you just know is going to be miserable to be around when Nebraska wins.  For a majority of the fanbase it is probably 3 or 4.  For those that live in Iowa, Iowa State is probably number 1 because if you lose that you hear about it all year.  I think Minnesota would be 4 for a lot of fans simply because they haven't been good in a really long time.

Summary - most probably have Wisconsin or Iowa State as 1 and Nebraska as 2 or 3.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Caven said:

Just like Nebraska fans feelings about Iowa - I think it depends on where you live.  For me, living in Lincoln it is probably number 2 right behind Wisconsin.  The family we stay with in Iowa City when we go to the games - also top 2 because his father in law is one of those bad Nebraska fans that you just know is going to be miserable to be around when Nebraska wins.  For a majority of the fanbase it is probably 3 or 4.  For those that live in Iowa, Iowa State is probably number 1 because if you lose that you hear about it all year.  I think Minnesota would be 4 for a lot of fans simply because they haven't been good in a really long time.

Summary - most probably have Wisconsin or Iowa State as 1 and Nebraska as 2 or 3.

Thanks for the reply. I completely forgot about Iowa State being a rival.

18 hours ago, wiuhusker said:

Funny that Iowa fans consider this to be "thuggish" behavior. Watch a rivalry where the teams truly hate each other and this is a common occurence. 

Am I the only one that sees the video, the reference to the SEC, and the word "thug" then cringes at the connotation?

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Am I the only one that sees the video, the reference to the SEC, and the word "thug" then cringes at the connotation?

I think there are plenty of other words that could be used. Thug is a ways down the list for me which is why it's in quotations. 

More than anything I chalk it up to a rivalry game and emotions running high. 

27 minutes ago, wiuhusker said:

I think there are plenty of other words that could be used. Thug is a ways down the list for me which is why it's in quotations. 

More than anything I chalk it up to a rivalry game and emotions running high. 

Sorry, that was more a comment on what the Iowa fan said, not you. There's a history with that word...

I’m not a fan of trash talking and it probably biases the refs.  I’d actually get my CBs to stop running their mouths and convince them that silently shutting down a receiver says a lot more than talk.  After breaking up a pass, instead of signaling incomplete or wagging your finger they should help the receiver off the ground so they can try again.  That would really mess with a WR’s head.

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

I’m not a fan of trash talking and it probably biases the refs.  I’d actually get my CBs to stop running their mouths and convince them that silently shutting down a receiver says a lot more than talk.  After breaking up a pass, instead of signaling incomplete or wagging your finger they should help the receiver off the ground so they can try again.  That would really mess with a WR’s head.

But then we would want to fire our DC bc his guys dont play with "fire" or accuse them of not caring.

• Plus1 1