Devine Ozigbo

Mavric

I strongly suspect there is a belief that Frost’s system is the primary catalyst to Zig’s dramatic increase in production and that’s at play here. After all, he jumped from averaging 4.2 ypc through three years to 7.0 ypc his senior. And there’s no point even listing his counting stats - he met or exceeded his 3 year total across the board. I think for some that’s a little too dramatic and raises some red flags on if he can do it in whatever system in the NFL.

• Plus1 1
On 1/21/2019 at 2:34 PM, Born N Bled Red said:

We're getting used to seeing Nebraska running backs getting drafted only to be misused, unused, or put behind terrible lines by the teams that draft them. 

Roy Helu - Although he spent time injured at Washington, it seemed like he was penalized and lost his position every time he came back. 

Rex Burkhead - Bengals barely used him - All the better for the Pats. I had hoped he'd get drafted there in the first place - great fit. 

Abudllah - Lions- do they even have an o-line? - Hoping he catches on somewhere quick - he's too good to not be on the field. Don't think Vikings is the best fit though.

I'm eager to see a Husker RB drafted and put to work. I'm going to caveat this by saying, I'm not a fan of their's but I'd love to see Ziggy playing for the Chiefs. I think it'd be a great fit and he'd tear it up for them. What say you Huskerboard?

Truth is, it's a different world for running backs in the NFL. Really hard to have a long career. A lot more platooning and a lot less loyalty to any single running back. 

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, brophog said:

I strongly suspect there is a belief that Frost’s system is the primary catalyst to Zig’s dramatic increase in production and that’s at play here. After all, he jumped from averaging 4.2 ypc through three years to 7.0 ypc his senior. And there’s no point even listing his counting stats - he met or exceeded his 3 year total across the board. I think for some that’s a little too dramatic and raises some red flags on if he can do it in whatever system in the NFL.

Also, Ozigbo lost 30 pounds and worked his a$$ off before the season even started. 

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Also, Ozigbo lost 30 pounds and worked his a$$ off before the season even started. 

I give Oz a lot of credit for the work he put in during the offseason.

However, it's also true that, despite all the pub he got during practices, he ended up getting the fewest touches of any of the RBs on his team - significantly fewer than another Combine snub - and did the least of the three with the touches he did get (yardage-wise).  So I think it's pretty fair to also give a lot of credit for his production this year to the system he was in.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Mavric said:

I give Oz a lot of credit for the work he put in during the offseason.

However, it's also true that, despite all the pub he got during practices, he ended up getting the fewest touches of any of the RBs on his team - significantly fewer than another Combine snub - and did the least of the three with the touches he did get (yardage-wise).  So I think it's pretty fair to also give a lot of credit for his production this year to the system he was in.

Oh sure. I'm just saying that Scott Frost himself had Ozigbo in the back of the pack of his running back stable, knowing perfectly well what Ozigbo had done the year before. Ozigbo had to really go beyond to prove himself in that system, and I'm wondering if Bell hadn't felt snubbed by the promotion of Washington, would Ozigbo even have gotten the chance?  And would the 30 pounds heavier and slower Ozigbo have averaged 7 yards per carry in the same system? He looked like a completely different player to me.

As for the East-West game....it would be hard to call that a system, or read anything meaningful from the substitution pattern. Because Ozigbo was getting attention from NFL draft insiders even before the game, he will be picked up in some capacity by an NFL team and given the chance to prove himself at the next level. I'm betting he has another chapter left. 

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mavric changed the title to Devine Ozigbo
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...