Mack Brown returns as head coach at UNC

knapplc

I know he had success there before going to Texas, but I can't help but think this won't be a successful return.

Mack Brown Returns To Lead Tar Heel Football Program

CHAPEL HILL --- Mack Brown, whose charismatic style and disciplined approach propelled the University of North Carolina's football program to the top 10 and the University of Texas to a national championship, is returning to Chapel Hill with the goal of leading another Tar Heel resurgence.

Brown, who will be inducted into the National Football Foundation's College Hall of Fame in December, won more college football games than any coach in the country over a 24-year period from 1990-2013.

He was previously the head coach of the Tar Heels from 1988 to 1997. He led Carolina to three 10-win seasons, six consecutive bowl games and two top-10 AP finishes. At Texas, the Longhorns won the 2005 BCS national title, two conference titles and four Big 12 South Division titles.

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I know he had success there before going to Texas, but I can't help but think this won't be a successful return.

This seems like a situation like Steve Spurrier going to South Carolina.  I don't see him having the same type of success he had at Texas.  He'll go to NC, collect a dang good pay check, live out his dream to coach another team, then retire a happy man.....without really winning anything.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I saw speculation where he might bring Gene Chizeck in as DC and Cliff Kingsberry in as OC.

That would cause a stir.  

I saw this too but it seems way too good for a place like North Carolina.

I also agree that I think his ceiling will be what Spurrier did at South Carolina. He did not do very well at Texas once they lost Colt McCoy. They floundered for several years until he left. Fortunately, they've still been kind of floundering until the last year.