The crux of the issue appears to be that the district wants to keep using a bonus payout system, but the teachers want to reduce the bonuses in favor of increasing base pay. The bonus system is supposed to help attract and retain better teachers especially for high-poverty schools, but the teachers say that doesn't actually work. The teachers don't like the bonus system because their salaries fluctuating year to year makes it hard to plan their finances.

As far as total money, the teachers want $28.5 million while the district is offering $23.3 million.

Here's a high level summary:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/429341-denver-teachers-set-to-strike-on-monday

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The crux of the issue appears to be that the district wants to keep using a bonus payout system, but the teachers want to reduce the bonuses in favor of increasing base pay. The bonus system is supposed to help attract and retain better teachers especially for high-poverty schools, but the teachers say that doesn't actually work. The teachers don't like the bonus system because their salaries fluctuating year to year makes it hard to plan their finances.

As far as total money, the teachers want $28.5 million while the district is offering $23.3 million.

Here's a high level summary:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/429341-denver-teachers-set-to-strike-on-monday

Here's the biggest frustration my family has that live in Colorado have.  Legal pot was supposed to be taxed and that money was supposed to go to the educational systems.  Where's that money and why are they still broke when talking about the school systems?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's the biggest frustration my family has that live in Colorado have.  Legal pot was supposed to be taxed and that money was supposed to go to the educational systems.  Where's that money and why are they still broke when talking about the school systems?

It did raise almost $100 million, but that's still <2% of the total school budget.

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/do-marijuana-taxes-go-to-schools-yes-but-probably-not-in-the-way-you-think-they-do

Total marijuana tax revenue for Colorado’s public schools, including the B.E.S.T. fund was $90.3 million in 2017-18. That is 1.6 percent of the entire K-12 public school budget of $5.6 billion.

In the 2017-18 fiscal year, state lawmakers distributed an extra $30 million to rural school districts; in the same year the state budget shortfall to schools was $830 million.

As someone that has taught in a crappy school with students that were jerks, I can tell you that the bonus would have had to have been at least 25K extra a year to stay.  Getting told to F off, being told that "my grandpa will come here and make you rest in peace" kids literally refusing to open up their book to the page I asked, not turning anything in, refusing to sit next to certain kids...it sucked.

53 minutes ago, teachercd said:

As someone that has taught in a crappy school with students that were jerks, I can tell you that the bonus would have had to have been at least 25K extra a year to stay.  Getting told to F off, being told that "my grandpa will come here and make you rest in peace" kids literally refusing to open up their book to the page I asked, not turning anything in, refusing to sit next to certain kids...it sucked.

Been there and done that.  I'll carry that year with me forever so I can remind myself on "bad days" what it is like in other schools.

9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Been there and done that.  I'll carry that year with me forever so I can remind myself on "bad days" what it is like in other schools.

It is brutal...a lady on my "team" said she would vomit most mornings because of how dreadful and stressful the day was going to be...

As the son of two former educators and my fiance is in a masters program currently to be a school counselor, I always stand with teachers...except teachercd. That guy sucks:lol:  This profession should start at $50,000/year and work its way up steadily. Of course, thats my opinion and my thought on how important this profession is to our future. 

• Plus1 2

On 2/11/2019 at 3:29 PM, Frott Scost said:

As the son of two former educators and my fiance is in a masters program currently to be a school counselor, I always stand with teachers...except teachercd. That guy sucks:lol:  This profession should start at $50,000/year and work its way up steadily. Of course, thats my opinion and my thought on how important this profession is to our future. 

Ha!  This is all true!

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Trumps budget proposal will cut 10% or $7.1 billion from the US Dept. of Education. This hurts students looking for loans and grants to help them pay for college. The public service loan forgiveness program will also be eliminated. This hurts teachers, police, fire fighters, etc who could have their loans forgiven after 10 years. And heres the kicker, his proposal would eliminate subsidized student loans which means interest starts to accrue as your in school. Theres your wall money right there! #winning

Cant wait for the economy to crash as older people start to die off and younger people cant pay for s#!t. 

• 4 weeks later...

An article I just read piqued my interest in education reform here.

I know I've heard others say they're not fans of free college. I get it. It actually works in some European countries quite well, but it would be a bear to implement here and would require a lot of planning. Obviously Republicans would never go for it.

Here's what I think is a reasonable middle ground: reduce interest rates on all federal student loans to the lowest current amount (heck, I'd sure take more attractive debt forgiveness arrangements as well), free community college, reduced tuition rates for 4 year schools.

Would that appeal to some of the more moderate or independent folks around here?