This is a pretty good idea.

While at it, make "Coding" a foreign language requirement and get our youth learning to code instead of taking French

And for the millionth time...teaching trades in HS and partner with tech schools and local unions to start those apprenticeships early!

Oh, and zero non-educators on school boards.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

While at it, make "Coding" a foreign language requirement and get our youth learning to code instead of taking French

And for the millionth time...teaching trades in HS and partner with tech schools and local unions to start those apprenticeships early!

I'd actually be in favor of letting kids leave high school at 16 if they opt for a trade school. 

10 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

This reeks of an election stunt they have no intention of following through on.

It's either that or they just want to set up their propaganda machines for future trumps and trumpettes 

41 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I was just going to say that. Offer kids coding early. 

On the trade school front, the town I live in has partnered up with CCC and it seems to be a thriving endeavor. "Don't give a rip about Creative Writing but love to work on diesel motors? Cool, here's a few classes to take that lead in to the Tech school." :thumbs

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Mike Mcdee said:

On the trade school front, the town I live in has partnered up with CCC and it seems to be a thriving endeavor. "Don't give a rip about Creative Writing but love to work on diesel motors? Cool, here's a few classes to take that lead in to the Tech school." :thumbs

You know how many kids thrive with trades...a lot.  Let them start early and start making some cash...Hell you can be 19, be a fireman and making 60K a year...dangle the carrot of being a welder, electrician or plumber, making 15 an hour at 16 years old while being an apprentice and 30 dollars (plus) an hour by 19.

I am an administrator at a private Christian school. We still have shop and home ec.  Many of the public schools around us do not.  Standardized testing has killed Vo-tech.  I deal with facilities.  Most of the people I deal with in the trades are 50+.  We need young people to go in the trades.  You don't get weighed down with college debt and you can make good money right away.  All of my electricians at 60+  The plumbing company I use are 2 brothers that are in their mid 60's.  They want out, but no one in the family wants the business.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
42 minutes ago, Mike Mcdee said:

39 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You know how many kids thrive with trades...a lot.  Let them start early and start making some cash...Hell you can be 19, be a fireman and making 60K a year...dangle the carrot of being a welder, electrician or plumber, making 15 an hour at 16 years old while being an apprentice and 30 dollars (plus) an hour by 19.

28 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Good luck enforcing that.  

200.gif

As an Industrial Technology teacher, I 100%, wholeheartedly with everything you folks have mentioned.  The kids I worked with when I taught HS were great in my classroom/lab.  They were rough around the edges, but didn't cause much trouble.  And they always got their stuff done.  Our dept head has a great saying, "we work with a lot of ornery pups that are gonna make great dogs."

These kids would thrive in an environment that let them focus on what they enjoy.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, funhusker said:

As an Industrial Technology teacher, I 100%, wholeheartedly with everything you folks have mentioned.  The kids I worked with when I taught HS were great in my classroom/lab.  They were rough around the edges, but didn't cause much trouble.  And they always got their stuff done.  Our dept head has a great saying, "we work with a lot of ornery pups that are gonna make great dogs."

These kids would thrive in an environment that let them focus on what they enjoy.

Yes they would.

Just like kids that love AP classes thrive in AP classes.  

It is such a simple fix if we just let educators (at the local level) make the decisions.  

You know who I trust when it comes to creating policy for Industrial tech...you and your department head.  Not some moron parent who sits on a school board and probably doesn't even have a kid at the district...or worse yet, does.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, GSG said:

So...let me get this straight.  The Republican party doesn't believe in science.  Thinks education needs to be defunded.  "Loves the uneducated".  Oh....and....HATES the idea of the federal government having ANYTHING to do with education.

But....They they LOVE and fully support Trump and his federal government ran indoctrination plan because THEY don't think anyone but them loves this country enough.

Am I on the right track here?

• Plus1 2

49 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So...let me get this straight.  The Republican party doesn't believe in science.  Thinks education needs to be defunded.  "Loves the uneducated".  Oh....and....HATES the idea of the federal government having ANYTHING to do with education.

But....They they LOVE and fully support Trump and his federal government ran indoctrination plan because THEY don't think anyone but them loves this country enough.

Am I on the right track here?

sounds about right.  i am reminded of the hitler youth in germany.  it's all about the indoctrination

• Plus1 3
13 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

What is the purpose of the Department of Education under any President?

Zero purpose.  

It should all be done at the state/local level.  No parents that are non-educators should be involved at all because those types of parents are insane and believe crazy stories that their kids tell them.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Zero purpose.  

It should all be done at the state/local level.  No parents that are non-educators should be involved at all because those types of parents are insane and believe crazy stories that their kids tell them.

I would agree that they currently appear to have zero purpose.

But I think having some coordination and direction from a national level is a good thing.  Federal funding for things like special education and career education are also pretty valuable.

• Plus1 1
Just now, funhusker said:

I would agree that they currently appear to have zero purpose.

But I think having some coordination and direction from a national level is a good thing.  Federal funding for things like special education and career education are also pretty valuable.

Agreed...all they should do is give money, that is it.  No strings attached, just give money.