Just now, teachercd said:

Agreed...all they should do is give money, that is it.  No strings attached, just give money.

That sounds like pretty irresponsible government.

I'm still holding out hope for some massive infrastructure bill that will build railways, bridges, power grids, etc.  And include free trade school for jobs that are needed to complete the list of rebuilds (or enhance HS curriculum).  That funding should have some strings attached to it.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

That sounds like pretty irresponsible government.

I'm still holding out hope for some massive infrastructure bill that will build railways, bridges, power grids, etc.  And include free trade school for jobs that are needed to complete the list of rebuilds (or enhance HS curriculum).  That funding should have some strings attached to it.

The string should be "You gotta use this for educational purposes"

There, I just fixed education at the federal level :)

Local Level:  No parents unless you are an educator...also all coaches get double the pay :)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ouch. Might be a blessing for some students that would have taken out too much debt, but there is pretty clear evidence higher education directly leads to higher income. Going to be a number of consequences for years after Covid is "done" dealing with the disparity of educational outcomes for students that have been in class vs those that are just now starting to reopen.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 7 months later...

On 3/25/2021 at 11:12 AM, Omaha-Husker said:

Ouch. Might be a blessing for some students that would have taken out too much debt, but there is pretty clear evidence higher education directly leads to higher income. Going to be a number of consequences for years after Covid is "done" dealing with the disparity of educational outcomes for students that have been in class vs those that are just now starting to reopen.

Get into a trade...make great money in that trade and make another 2-3K working side jobs.  

Public schools need to team up with trade unions.  Everyone wins.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • 2 months later...

https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/2022/01/31/op-ed-indiana-legislature-considers-bill-that-orwellian-nightmare/9253643002/

HB 1134, called “Education Matters,” attempts to cloak itself as a bid to save the state’s children from brainwashing, but does just that in making it illegal to expose students to any narratives of history and society that oppose the narrow scope approved by those in power.

It tries to hide its insidious language among non-discriminatory language, but just reading the lines themselves, not even between them, shows how its authors are trying to foist their own agendas upon the students while espousing a desire to keep others from doing the same.

Also, part of this bill requires teachers to have their entire year's worth of lesson plans prepared and approved by June 30

@teachercd You have your entire year of lesson plans ready by June, right? 

7 minutes ago, GSG said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/2022/01/31/op-ed-indiana-legislature-considers-bill-that-orwellian-nightmare/9253643002/

Also, part of this bill requires teachers to have their entire year's worth of lesson plans prepared and approved by June 30

@teachercd You have your entire year of lesson plans ready by June, right? 

Of course!  That way I can email them out to all the parents so that they can read through them and tell me what I need to change.

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Of course!  That way I can email them out to all the parents so that they can read through them and tell me what I need to change.

What kills me is that there's been this huge push over the past decade or so to cater to each child's individual learning capabilities/needs, but now they want a teacher to have all the lesson plans done before the year even starts. I can't tell you how many times each week my wife has to adjust her plans due to kids needing extra help with something or kids missing school and being behind, etc. etc. Not to mention adjustments for new students that come in throughout the year. Great job Indiana! 

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, GSG said:

What kills me is that there's been this huge push over the past decade or so to cater to each child's individual learning capabilities/needs, but now they want a teacher to have all the lesson plans done before the year even starts. I can't tell you how many times each week my wife has to adjust her plans due to kids needing extra help with something or kids missing school and being behind, etc. etc. Not to mention adjustments for new students that come in throughout the year. Great job Indiana! 

Well, this is going to create a larger shortage of teachers and "subs" will become "traveling" teachers and start making 500 dollars a day to be in the classroom while their rent is also paid by taxes.

Good job parents!

• Plus1 1