3 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

I am not exactly sure, but I would hope that this would work for other school districts as well.  The town I live in is ranked 4th in the state for education.  The town borders Cleveland.  I see no reason why the money couldn't follow those kids to another school district.  In my mind, even though I work at a Christian school, it should benefit all kids to choose wherever they want to go.  If a family wants their kid at a public school 20 miles away?  So be it.

It is about the kids and families being able to make choices.

I work in one of the best districts in Nebraska.  It's not a secret that we are #1 because those kids from 20 miles away don't come here.  We have students in two parent stable, middle to high income, homes that care about education I think most "top schools" are in similar situations.

It's not because we are better teachers...

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I work in one of the best districts in Nebraska.  It's not a secret that we are #1 because those kids from 20 miles away don't come here.  We have students in two parent stable, middle to high income, homes that care about education I think most "top schools" are in similar situations.

And I think that is why for cities like Cleveland, you need to do something different for Ed than you do for suburban schools.  Small town schools can struggle as well.

35 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Yep...

It starts at home.  I have taught in 4 different schools.

1 of them was a nightmare and I could share many stories as to why and what it was like.  

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yep...

It starts at home.  I have taught in 4 different schools.

1 of them was a nightmare and I could share many stories as to why and what it was like.  

It is amazing how often parents ruin their kids before the kids have a chance to get their lives going.   

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

When we moved into our new home many years ago we become good friends with neighbors from Africa. My kids were about 3 or 4 years old at the time. I am pretty sure they never noticed the neighbors skin was a different color or at the very least it didn't bother them at all. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dc-elementary-anti-racism-fistbook-racist-family-members

Edit: I would not approve of my kids taking this curriculum, nor do they need it at age 4.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, nic said:

When we moved into our new home many years ago we become good friends with neighbors from Africa. My kids were about 3 or 4 years old at the time. I am pretty sure they never noticed the neighbors skin was a different color or at the very least it didn't bother them at all. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dc-elementary-anti-racism-fistbook-racist-family-members

Edit: I would not approve of my kids taking this curriculum, nor do they need it at age 4.

Haven't read the article because I don't want to disable my adblocker, but re: the bolded - I can guarantee you the kids from Africa noticed even if yours didn't.

52 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Haven't read the article because I don't want to disable my adblocker, but re: the bolded - I can guarantee you the kids from Africa noticed even if yours didn't.

I believe the father was sensitive to brining up his kids in a mostly white community, yes. He mentioned things to me that led me to believe this. I do not remember the specific examples anymore. That said, his first child didn’t seem to care much, but I am sure that as he has grown older he was sensitive to it. Some of that may have come from his parents, some from life events. I do not know this for sure since they moved away, but it would be interesting to strike up a conversation someday. I would still reject this type of curriculum in preK.

• Plus1 1

Was there a debate on whether CRT is taught in schools…or at least embedded in curriculum? Maybe the superintendent of schools in Detroit doesn’t know what CRT is.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, nic said:

Was there a debate on whether CRT is taught in schools…or at least embedded in curriculum? Maybe the superintendent of schools in Detroit doesn’t know what CRT is.

I swear I saw this posted something like 2 weeks ago. And for some reason I thought it was you who posted it. 

• Plus1 1

16 hours ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I swear I saw this posted something like 2 weeks ago. And for some reason I thought it was you who posted it. 

I do not remember. I am getting old.:cowbell:

On 5/2/2022 at 2:01 PM, nic said:

I would be curious to see what the context was.

When I create lesson plans for shop class, I integrate theories I learned in Child Psychology and Special Education classes, but I don't teach Child Psychology or SpEd.

I'm wondering if Detroit created curriculum in a way that considers the past experiences of people and made conscious efforts to promote an environment of equity to help all students achieve.  These are things studied by CRT.  It doesn't necessarily mean they are actually teaching CRT in schools.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Most of the parents I know knew this by June of 2020. Remote learning was terrible for the kids.

"Many of these schools are in major cities, which tend to be run by Democratic officials, and Republicans were generally quicker to reopen schools. High-poverty schools are also more likely to have unionized teachers, and some unions lobbied for remote schooling."

I didn't say it. The New York Times did.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2022/05/05/briefing/school-closures-covid-learning-loss.amp.html

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, nic said:

Most of the parents I know knew this by June of 2020. Remote learning was terrible for the kids.

"Many of these schools are in major cities, which tend to be run by Democratic officials, and Republicans were generally quicker to reopen schools. High-poverty schools are also more likely to have unionized teachers, and some unions lobbied for remote schooling."

I didn't say it. The New York Times did.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2022/05/05/briefing/school-closures-covid-learning-loss.amp.html

I said it in the Covid thread in September and was chastised by a few folks here for it.   

• Plus1 1