Question on an assignmnent, Holt High School in Missouri.

"Teresa has heard in the news about the fatal shootings of unarmed African American men by police officers but does not think it is necessarily due to racism. Teresa is MOST likely a:…" the question stated, with the possible answers being "Democrat, black woman, Republican, Democrat-leaning woman."

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, nic said:

Question on an assignmnent, Holt High School in Missouri.

"Teresa has heard in the news about the fatal shootings of unarmed African American men by police officers but does not think it is necessarily due to racism. Teresa is MOST likely a:…" the question stated, with the possible answers being "Democrat, black woman, Republican, Democrat-leaning woman."

Republican.  That’s my final answer!

Did I pass?

Shocking question for sure.  But it was an AP Government class.  And would anyone disagree with the answer?

Sounds like another issue of people not wanting to hear uncomfortable truths to me.

• Plus1 2
12 hours ago, funhusker said:

Republican.  That’s my final answer!

Did I pass?

Shocking question for sure.  But it was an AP Government class.  And would anyone disagree with the answer?

Sounds like another issue of people not wanting to hear uncomfortable truths to me.

I would prefer the kids learn about the constitution and branches of government... But if they are fair there must be questions like "a professor from Cornell recently wrote a thesis on how sheet music is racist. Which political party would mostly agree with this premise?" :)

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, nic said:

I would prefer the kids learn about the constitution and branches of government... But if they are fair there must be questions like "a professor from Cornell recently wrote a thesis on how sheet music is racist. Which political party would mostly agree with this premise?" :)

My final answer: Democrat.

these aren’t difficult questions.

Maybe they should be in middle school??!

Do we know that questions similar to yours weren’t on the review questions?

Edit: I guess my point is I can totally imagine your question being on an AP Govt test.  Especially in regards to political Science.  But I can’t imagine myself ever being triggered about it.  I just don’t get why some folks are so sensitive over pointless s#!t. :dunno

To add, a political party wouldn’t have the viewpoint of sheet music being racist.  But a member of the dem party would be more likely to hold this belief than a Republican.  Maybe these conversations really are needed so people can understand the very important difference.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, nic said:

I'd be 100% in favor of education curriculum that teaches and quizzes kids on identifying tropes and accurate or perceived stereotypes of people in political parties and ideologies.

Which major political party is a person flying a Nazi flag likelier to belong to?

Which major political party is a person who wants universal access to healthcare likelier to belong to? 

Stuff like that would be fun and able to help kids have better street smarts as they grow into real world :D

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I'd be 100% in favor of education curriculum that teaches and quizzes kids on identifying tropes and accurate or perceived stereotypes of people in political parties and ideologies.

Which major political party is a person flying a Nazi flag likelier to belong to?

Which major political party is a person who wants universal access to healthcare likelier to belong to? 

Stuff like that would be fun and able to help kids have better street smarts as they grow into real world :D

Oh man, I could only imagine a class on stereotypes! Haha!

9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

You got your wish and the cat is out of the bag. Thank goodness that my kids went a to a charter school that sticks to the basics. ;) I bet this ends with half the country going to liberal or conservative schools.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, nic said:

You could have just ended the question at "a professor from Cornell" or simply "a professor," since people who are more educated tend to vote Democratic. Hell, that question doesn't even ask you to make an assumption, that's just statistical fact. 

microsoftteams-image_8.png

7 minutes ago, nic said:

You got your wish and the cat is out of the bag. Thank goodness that my kids went a to a charter school that sticks to the basics. ;) I bet this ends with half the country going to liberal or conservative schools.

You found a school that is 0% political in any way? No questions in any class, any year like the one you posted above? No references to God, no references to race or gender?

I find that a little difficult to believe.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Better and more accurate questions would be:

Which major political party wants dissenting voices silenced entirely and then whines about the other party wanting to do away with democracy?

Which major political party has repeatedly pushed to lower the voting age to 16 because they know that age group is easily manipulated through emotion and will expand their voter base?

Which major political party cried for 4 years about how embarrassing and incompetent their president was and then chose to elect a man with obvious signs of dementia, who for his prior 40 years in politics prior to his mental deterioration was consistently considered one of the dumbest members of congress?

I think the point is that NONE of these questions should be taught in school because ALL of the examples provided show significant bias just with the wording of the questions. Students should be taught HOW to think, not WHAT to think.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
14 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Better and more accurate questions would be:

Which major political party wants dissenting voices silenced entirely and then whines about the other party wanting to do away with democracy?

Which major political party has repeatedly pushed to lower the voting age to 16 because they know that age group is easily manipulated through emotion and will expand their voter base?

Which major political party cried for 4 years about how embarrassing and incompetent their president was and then chose to elect a man with obvious signs of dementia, who for his prior 40 years in politics prior to his mental deterioration was consistently considered one of the dumbest members of congress?

I think the point is that NONE of these questions should be taught in school because ALL of the examples provided show significant bias just with the wording of the questions. Students should be taught HOW to think, not WHAT to think.

These questions get a bit more difficult since it can apply to both parties.  Could create some fun discussions in class!

23 minutes ago, funhusker said:

These questions get a bit more difficult since it can apply to both parties.  Could create some fun discussions in class!

If we're going to teach partisanship, I'd rather teach students that both parties actively work against the interest of Americans and that they should both be discarded with extreme prejudice. At least that might help students to question the motives of the people in power rather than to have them believe that one party is the good and the other is bad and evil when the truth is that both are evil.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

If we're going to teach partisanship, I'd rather teach students that both parties actively work against the interest of Americans and that they should both be discarded with extreme prejudice. At least that might help students to question the motives of the people in power rather than to have them believe that one party is the good and the other is bad and evil when the truth is that both are evil.

Agree.

But the question that @nic posted didn't say one party was evil.  It just asked what person was least likely to believe the shootings were racially motivated.  That isn't outlandish.  Many republicans here have been very vocal about how they believe the shootings could have been avoided if the "victims" wouldn't have put themselves in the position, regardless of race.  

There is a thread devoted to that conversation.