4 minutes ago, nic said:

Question. What party does the Barrington school board belong to if they decide to get rid of honors classes in the name of equity and inclusion? Seriously, can we think about how to give low income kids more opportunity without bringing honors students down?

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/news/education/2022/03/21/barrington-ri-schools-eliminates-honors-classes-parents-want-them-back/7076134001/

Sounds pretty stupid.

Kate Novak is a consultant who had helped several high-performing districts in Massachusetts – and Barrington – move to what she calls “one universal design for learning,” or one curriculum for students of varying abilities. 

Universal design originated in districts, especially large urban ones, where students of color were tracked into lower-level classes, which led to fewer students having access to college-prep, honors and AP classes. The “universal design” is a way to offer equal access to a rigorous curriculum to traditionally under-represented groups. 

In this setting, Novak said, students are typically broken into groups which work independently. The teacher spends most of her time with those who need more support.

“We design a class that works for everyone,” she said. 

Although Novak is proud of the work Barrington has done, parents said the rollout has been a disaster. Teachers, they said, had little time to prepare, especially in the middle of a pandemic, and students were frustrated by the sudden changes. 

One parent, Anna Amoiradaki, pulled her child out of Barrington this year and sent him to La Salle Academy in Providence. 

“Honors classes allowed faster-paced students to be challenged,” she said. “None of the high-performing schools in Rhode Island have taken away honors. In the future, our graduates will not have high school transcripts competitive with their peers elsewhere.” 

No other high school in Rhode Island has done this, according to Tim Ryan, lobbyist for the Rhode Island Association of School Superintendents

OK, if kids of color are being tracked into lower level classes, figure out why and fix THAT instead of taking things away from other kids.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

33 minutes ago, nic said:

Question. What party does the Barrington school board belong to if they decide to get rid of honors classes in the name of equity and inclusion? Seriously, can we think about how to give low income kids more opportunity without bringing honors students down?

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/news/education/2022/03/21/barrington-ri-schools-eliminates-honors-classes-parents-want-them-back/7076134001/

My guess is that they don't have enough staff to teach multiple levels of the same class.  And they are trying to cover up staff shortages by saying fancy words.

For example, my district says teachers aren't leaving any different that past years (this is a bunch of crap).  Yet, we are pulling a Science teacher from our High School to come teach one period of 6th grade Science because we won't have enough teachers already here.  That decision most likely takes away a period of AP Chemistry at the high school because those teachers will have to spread workload.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

My guess is that they don't have enough staff to teach multiple levels of the same class.  And they are trying to cover up staff shortages by saying fancy words.

I thought about that.  Which, would be amazingly stupid on their part.

Our local HS dropped an AP Anatomy/physiology class about 5 years ago.  But, it was because the wonderful teacher that was teaching it retired and they couldn't find anyone to replace him.

1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

If framing and entrapping their political opponents doesn't count as worse than those things, we don't live in the same reality.

We most certainly do not live in the same reality.

I'm sure by "framing and trapping their political opponents" you're referring to Trumps phone call with Ukraine, requesting they "find dirt" on Biden, then maybe on second thought we agree on more than I thought. 

Seriously though, voters like you remind me that this country is in a complete and hopeless situation. In 40 years, let's hope that the liberal democracies of Western Europe are powerful enough to solve the world's problems will simultaneously propagating democracy across the world. I have my doubts, but all we can do is hope at this point. 

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm sure by "framing and trapping their political opponents" you're referring to Trumps phone call with Ukraine, requesting they "find dirt" on Biden, then maybe on second thought we agree on more than I thought. 

I thought that was a reference to Hunter's laptop and the dubious "data" found on it.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

We most certainly do not live in the same reality.

Seriously though, voters like you remind me that this country is in a complete and hopeless situation. In 40 years, let's hope that the liberal democracies of Western Europe are powerful enough to solve the world's problems will simultaneously propagating democracy across the world. I have my doubts, but all we can do is hope at this point. 

How about General Flynn...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-flynn-entrapment-11544658915

Or an FBI attorney whiting out info on his FISA application that would have shown no basis for the spying operation on Trump...

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ct/pr/fbi-attorney-admits-altering-email-used-fisa-application-during-crossfire-hurricane

Seriously, voters like you who put their trust in politicians to make important decisions (tRuSt ThE eXpErTs) remind me that this country is in a complete and hopeless situation. 

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Who do you trust?

Definitely not anyone who tries to tell me how I should think or what I should be allowed to do.

The real question is: WHY, after mountains of evidence of horrendous malfeasance, corruption, and lying to the American people would ANYONE trust a single person within the federal government or its bureaucracies? ESPECIALLY after the last 2 years of constant lying and manipulation by public officials...

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, ActualCornHusker said:

Definitely not anyone who tries to tell me how I should think or what I should be allowed to do.

I didn't ask who you don't trust. I'm asking who you do trust. You clearly support conservative politicians, even those in the federal government. Who, specifically, do you trust? And why?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, nic said:

:facepalm:  Schools should have honor classes and all should have the same opportunity to participate.  

15 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

:facepalm:  Schools should have honor classes and all should have the same opportunity to participate.  

But people also complain when schools teach kids anything more than writing and arithmetic...

The same people complaining about this are the same people that are complaining about classes that teach more than just "basics"

It's tiring!

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

But people also complain when schools teach kids anything more than writing and arithmetic...

The same people complaining about this are the same people that are complaining about classes that teach more than just "basics"

It's tiring!

I think you can teach much more than the basic but teaching of 'values' should be along local lines.  People get upset with values training that is pushed down from the NEA or DOE that violates local sensitivities. 

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

It's tiring!

This is why it is just easier to not have the nutjobs part of the process.

And, how can you have honor classes that are open to everyone?  I don't get that one.  I know that was not your take, just the one you were replying too.

I have to approve students for certain classes.  Of course, their parents can override me, because, well, they are parents.

I mean if there is a shop class and advanced shop...shouldn't I have to take shop first and then advanced shop?

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I didn't ask who you don't trust. I'm asking who you do trust. You clearly support conservative politicians, even those in the federal government. Who, specifically, do you trust? And why?

I trust my wife, my business partners, my parents and in-laws except for my sister in law, Jesus Christ, and my friends.

And just for a comprehensive list, I trust Luke Combs, Justin Moore, and Morgan Wallen to continue to make great music.

That answer your question?

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I trust my wife, my business partners, my parents and in-laws except for my sister in law, Jesus Christ, and my friends.

And just for a comprehensive list, I trust Luke Combs, Justin Moore, and Morgan Wallen to continue to make great music.

That answer your question?

I already knew the answer.

• Plus1 1