On 7/31/2022 at 6:00 PM, nic said:

I am more  curious what excerpt from the books the board member’s post contained and why Facebook deemed it inappropriate. 

Was it an accurate excerpt? I do not know. 

I doubt it's anything interesting. Facebook's algorithms are pretty poorly designed and completely incapable of detecting nuance or context most of the time. 

It's as good of a chance as any that the excerpt said something like, "It's wrong to call gay people faggots" and then the post got banned for calling gay people a slur.

She a little fired up. Some interesting quotes.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/mom-threatens-texas-house-meeting-ambulance-chasing-lawsuits-crt

“I'm an atheist, bisexual, bi-racial, homeless person… I do not want my child to be taught that just because she is Black and a woman she ain't gonna make it. I do not want my daughter to be taught that she needs to express herself sexually in her classroom." 

“We're not going to give a 7-year-old a scalpel and lay a fresh cadaver out on the table and tell them to go dig out that kidney. We don't do that. That would scar a child for life to have to do something like that," she told Fox News Digital. "So telling a child that because they're Black and a woman they're on the bottom of the oppression privilege matrix is just as terrible… [by] putting them in a lifelong state of victimhood."

“I wasn't going to let my son be alone in standing against it when he did. He said that anybody can be racist. And anybody can be racist. And I don't care what the woke say about that. Racism is being prejudiced of race, not power plus privilege or whatever – whatever parallel language messaging they're using to describe racism now," Clark said.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, nic said:

She a little fired up. Some interesting quotes.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/mom-threatens-texas-house-meeting-ambulance-chasing-lawsuits-crt

“I'm an atheist, bisexual, bi-racial, homeless person… I do not want my child to be taught that just because she is Black and a woman she ain't gonna make it. I do not want my daughter to be taught that she needs to express herself sexually in her classroom." 

“We're not going to give a 7-year-old a scalpel and lay a fresh cadaver out on the table and tell them to go dig out that kidney. We don't do that. That would scar a child for life to have to do something like that," she told Fox News Digital. "So telling a child that because they're Black and a woman they're on the bottom of the oppression privilege matrix is just as terrible… [by] putting them in a lifelong state of victimhood."

“I wasn't going to let my son be alone in standing against it when he did. He said that anybody can be racist. And anybody can be racist. And I don't care what the woke say about that. Racism is being prejudiced of race, not power plus privilege or whatever – whatever parallel language messaging they're using to describe racism now," Clark said.

I’m always curious what people like this are talking about.

I have never witnessed anything like she seems to be talking about in the four districts (5 buildings) I’ve been in.  And one was an alternative school with majority black students and majority white and very, very liberal staff.

Any teachers have experience of their districts teaching black females that they are inferior? Or white kids for that matter?

3 minutes ago, GSG said:

AMEN! 

Just the pay alone would be a HUGE help to keeping teachers and getting GOOD teachers 

24 hour shifts and sleeping at school sound rough though…not gonna lie!

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I have never witnessed anything like she seems to be talking about in the four districts (5 buildings) I’ve been in.  And one was an alternative school with majority black students and majority white and very, very liberal staff.

Any teachers have experience of their districts teaching black females that they are inferior? Or white kids for that matter?

24 hour shifts and sleeping at school sound rough though…not gonna lie!

I would love to get paid to do nothing for 24 hours at a time!  :P 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Imagine a world where we treated teachers like we treat firemen. 

We try and be great to the teachers. Gifts, classroom support, keep the whining to a minimum, show appreciation,  vote for pay raises. My  brother is a teacher in Michigan, so I hear stories. That said, I am also for keeping and rewarding good teachers and getting rid of bad performers. Sometimes that is difficult in unionized school districts.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

We check with our kids on what they are being told and are learning. I have not heard them relay anything like this. 

The only issues I have had so far in 11 years was a 4th grade teacher who literally did not know fractions and a high school history teacher who I felt mis represented detials surrounding the Korean War. The first one pissed me off because my kid was struggling and confused. The second one was minor and I just pulled out old college history book I kept for such an occasion.

1 hour ago, nic said:

We try and be great to the teachers. Gifts, classroom support, keep the whining to a minimum, show appreciation,  vote for pay raises. My  brother is a teacher in Michigan, so I hear stories. That said, I am also for keeping and rewarding good teachers and getting rid of bad performers. Sometimes that is difficult in unionized school districts.

YES!!!!  I'm all for paying good teachers more. Sometimes WAY more.

To the teachers on the board, would you be open to some type of system where good teachers are rewarded with higher pay increases and make it easier for systems to get rid of bad teachers?

In this system, you might have two teachers, both in the system for 10 years, but one is making way more than the other.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

To the teachers on the board, would you be open to some type of system where good teachers are rewarded with higher pay increases and make it easier for systems to get rid of bad teachers?

In this system, you might have two teachers, both in the system for 10 years, but one is making way more than the other.

How do you propose we grade bad vs good teachers? 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, GSG said:

Same way we do in industry I would guess. Performance appraisals and rankings. I am not sure how this is currently done in schools. Seems like it is mostly years of service with standard pay raises. In the engineering services world, it's easy to see who generates a good product and whether it's done in a timely manner. Customer feedback counts and we actively seek that out. If an employee is not measuring up they go on a Performance improvement plan to try and correct the issues. If they go uncorrected they are let go. If the average raise is 4%. Employee raises range from none (very few people here) to 6 or 7% for the top performers. Bonuses can be given out at the end of the year too. 

Seems like school admins should be able to evaluate talent. 

When I was coming through a school system behind 5 older siblings a lot of the same teachers were still in the system and it certainly seemed like the parents knew who the good and bad teachers were after that many years.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Agreed.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, GSG said:

I'm open to suggestions.  But, as @nic pointed out, just about any other organization with employees like this, does some form of evaluation with raises.  But, for some reason, teacher's unions are adamant that teachers can't be evaluated like this.

The tough part is that the quality of students varies by year.  But, you know what?  industry has ways to deal with that too.  Some years, the market is better than others so they sell and produce more, making everyone more productive.  Other years, the market sucks and you evaluate differently.  Other factors can play into it to that need to be taken into consideration.  But, the fact is, there's a way to do it, it just needs to be developed.

• Plus1 1