• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, nic said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/04/opinions/nyu-chemistry-professor-student-complaint-filipovic/index.html

Opinion piece on what the author thinks is wrong with education. Looks like this particular professor was a bit too old school to survive.

I saw something on this the other day.  I roll my eyes when reading that he was fired "because his class was too hard".  That can mean a lot of things.  Maybe, he was trying to teach too high of level of Chemistry and that made it too hard for the class he was teaching.  However, it could be that he just sucked as a teacher and students had a hard time understanding the subject under him.  OR....maybe his testing method purposely made the subject much harder to earn a good grade than it needed to be.  In college, I experienced all of those types of professors.

My niece told me about a Chemistry professor at Michigan when she was in undergrad.  Her advisor was actually a long time tenured professor on the subject.  The new professor sucked and her advisor started giving tutoring sessions on Friday nights.  By the second week, there was standing room only in the room as she basically was teaching the class.  Now, if she hadn't done that, some of those students would have failed.  That's not because the other professor was challenging them more academically.  It's because the other professor sucked and needed to be fired.

6 hours ago, nic said:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/04/opinions/nyu-chemistry-professor-student-complaint-filipovic/index.html

Opinion piece on what the author thinks is wrong with education. Looks like this particular professor was a bit too old school to survive.

I have a physician I work with that had this instructor at Princeton years ago for organic chemistry.  We talked about it just yesterday - he said yes the guy was tough, the topic was challenging and sometimes he was vague but it wasn't unpassable.  He didn't ace it, and a lot of people dropped the class, but it wasn't because of the teacher, it was the topic.  Can people make a tough topic interesting and fun and "easy" - maybe, but is that their job as an instructor at an Ivy League school?  

People don't seem to understand that we shouldn't want people who make difficult topics simple for students - we don't want folks treating us for rare diseases and performing surgical procedures that cruised through college with classes that were made easy for them (or at least I don't).  We should all want the brightest and best of folks to get into medicine, and if this guy's class was a weed out so be it.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 5:31 PM, NM11046 said:

I have a physician I work with that had this instructor at Princeton years ago for organic chemistry.  We talked about it just yesterday - he said yes the guy was tough, the topic was challenging and sometimes he was vague but it wasn't unpassable.  He didn't ace it, and a lot of people dropped the class, but it wasn't because of the teacher, it was the topic.  Can people make a tough topic interesting and fun and "easy" - maybe, but is that their job as an instructor at an Ivy League school?  

People don't seem to understand that we shouldn't want people who make difficult topics simple for students - we don't want folks treating us for rare diseases and performing surgical procedures that cruised through college with classes that were made easy for them (or at least I don't).  We should all want the brightest and best of folks to get into medicine, and if this guy's class was a weed out so be it.  

Yep!

Certain classes and career choices should (and luckily are) be treated like a race...certain people get a medal and certain people finish last.  

I had a teacher/coach in HS and I asked for extra credit and he said "Hey...would you want the guy operating on you to only have become a surgeon because of extra credit?"

We are not stopping people from those careers, we are weeding them out.

Same reason that student teaching needs to be done way sooner, so that potential teachers can see if it is really for them or not.  That prof did those students a favor.

One of the greatest forms of motivation for students, especially at the college level that want to get into those challenging fields, is the fear of doing bad.  

The other post, about the students needing extra study sessions, good!  That is a good thing, not a bad thing.

We cheer athletes that hire trainers or do extra practices or workouts on their own...same should be true for students that take that extra step.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Ha...this "school" never even got accredited (unless it literally happened like 3 days ago), there website had been as secretive as that fake prep school in Michigan that Emoni Bates attended...

No one knew anything about this place and the teachers/students were not allowed to talk about the school.

It was basically a farm league for Adidas.  Hopefully it did not mess up eligibility for the players. 

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Great find.  Thanks for sharing and educating everyone here on the subject 

If I find time I am going to steal a few of these questions and ask my kids and their friends. I am curious. I don't expect many affirmative answers in the County I live in.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/29/politics/kfile-republican-nominee-new-hampshire/index.html

There are Furries in my kids HS. They first encountered them their Freshman year. When this story came out I ask one of my son's (now seniors) if Furries was still a thing and he said there were more than when they started HS. I have no idea if Furries is considered a derogatory term or not. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

You know what Furries are right?  It's like people who like Star Wars or Comic Books.  So I'm sure there are folks that consider themselves such in high school.  I don't believe that people consider "Trekies" a derogatory term so I can't see where anyone would think this is either.

Regarding Boldouc - he is a nut job. Even his own party won't sign on to this or his other crazy talk.  I live near NH and I feel pretty confident he won't come close to winning, though there are a lot of "Live Free Or Die/Don't Tread On Me" folks in the state.  This guy is even too crazy for them.  

I get so confused with your posts Nic, you come across as a curious, normal, eager to educate guy but then jump on conspiracies quickly.  CRT, Furries, Boston Lab Creates Killer Covid.  If you see something that seems a little crazy it's worth looking it up with some other sources isn't it?  Or is it your intent to just stir the pot?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1